Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 11-27-2008, 02:04 PM   #1
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
AAAARGH !!!! DISQUETTES !!!! (and a bandaid please, and also a cigarette. thank you.)

so, my disquette drive wouldn't read any of my old disquettes, and i wasn't sure whether it was the disquettes or the drive, and since i need to make a ghost rather urgently i went quickly to the computer store a few blocks away and bought a box of new disquettes and just to be safe a new drive as well (the one i had was probably about 10 years old, so i figured it couldn't hurt).

before installing the new drive i put one of the new disquettes in the old one and double clicked on the a drive and got the message "please insert a disquette" like before. ok, thinks me, so it's a good thing i got the new drive, it must be that which is faulty.

so i turned everything off and took out the old drive and installed the new one and then turned everything back on and just to check i put one of the old disquettes in the drive : "please insert a disquette". wow, it's a good thing i bought new disquettes too, then ! so i insert a NEW disquette from the box which i just bought mere minutes earlier, and double click on A, and i get THE SAME FARKING MESSAGE !!!!

i tried every single one of the new disquettes, none of them works. none of my old disquettes works either.

logically, the drive works, because the light is on and it is recognized in windows explorer. so WHY WILL IT NOT READ ANY DISQUETTES ???? any ideas ??? anyone ??? because seriously i am going mad here.

also, i managed to cut my finger taking off the side of the box, so if someone could give me a bandaid and maybe a little kiss to make it better that would be appreciated.

also, somebody PLEASE give me a cigarette. i don't think .cig is a valid extension on this board so you'll have to zip it before you attach it to your post.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 02:10 PM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
How old is your computer? Disquettes (or diskettes as we say in the States)? Maybe return the new one (if you can) and get a drive that connects via USB (if you have USB).
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 02:15 PM   #3
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
How old is your computer? Disquettes (or diskettes as we say in the States)? Maybe return the new one (if you can) and get a drive that connects via USB (if you have USB).
my computer is approximately 5 days old. i need an internal disquette drive to make a ghost of my system, because usb is not supported by the ghost program, which runs from a bootable disquette. i only ever use the disquette drive for making ghosts, which is why i wasn't sure whether it was the disquettes or the drive which were faulty, and why i changed both of them.

external usb disquette drive is not possible. alas.

(also : what ? no cigarette ???)
Old 11-27-2008, 02:18 PM   #4
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post

(also : what ? no cigarette ???)
Smoking is probably what killed your drive. I didn't know computers could still be purchased with a diskette drive.

Maybe you should upgrade your software to one which will allow you to make a ghost copy on a CD or external drive or USB drive.
Old 11-27-2008, 02:29 PM   #5
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Could it be the ribbon cable?
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 02:30 PM   #6
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Here is a chocolate cigar instead.........
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	choco cigar.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	402.5 KB
ID:	18392  
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 02:30 PM   #7
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Smoking is probably what killed your drive. I didn't know computers could still be purchased with a diskette drive.

Maybe you should upgrade your software to one which will allow you to make a ghost copy on a CD or external drive or USB drive.
my drive doesn't smoke. officially, i don't either anymore (except when my stupid computer is driving me MAD).

you can't use software on the disk to make a copy of the disk the software is running on. you also can't copy your system while your system is working. thus the bootable disquette. that's how it works. i had my computer built to my specifications. any tower can have a disquette drive. maybe "ready to wear" computers don't come with disquette drives anymore, i don't know, i never buy those. if they don't, it's probably because the people who buy them don't make disk images of their systems, if the computer breaks they hire someone to fix it (who probably reinstalls the system for them) or buy a new one.
Old 11-27-2008, 02:31 PM   #8
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
Could it be the ribbon cable?
i don't think so, otherwise windows wouldn't see it, right ? i did check that though. it seems plugged in completely at both ends. thanks for the suggestion. maybe i'll check it again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Here is a chocolate cigar instead.........
well, i suppose it's better than nothing. i appreciate the thought.
Old 11-27-2008, 02:40 PM   #9
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Your Majesty, There is a quirk with Disquette drives. The ribbon cable that you plug into them can be put in upside down. There is no notch in it to make you put it on the right way. So take it apart and turn over the ribbon being plugged into the Disquette drive. Hopefully that will get it. (I've been bit this way myself )
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 02:49 PM   #10
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:

you can't use software on the disk to make a copy of the disk the software is running on. you also can't copy your system while your system is working. thus the bootable disquette. that's how it works. i had my computer built to my specifications. any tower can have a disquette drive. maybe "ready to wear" computers don't come with disquette drives anymore, i don't know, i never buy those. if they don't, it's probably because the people who buy them don't make disk images of their systems, if the computer breaks they hire someone to fix it (who probably reinstalls the system for them) or buy a new one.
What software are you running? You should be able to make a bootable CD.
Old 11-27-2008, 03:01 PM   #11
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
Your Majesty, There is a quirk with Disquette drives. The ribbon cable that you plug into them can be put in upside down. There is no notch in it to make you put it on the right way. So take it apart and turn over the ribbon being plugged into the Disquette drive. Hopefully that will get it. (I've been bit this way myself )
you Sir are my hero !!!! i know i've already made you a knight (more than once i think) but here's a medal : it's the Silver Star for Valor in the Face of Extreme Tribulations Due to Maddening Hardware. You can call yourself Sir Sir Ralph Sir Edward. Thank you !!!!! i owe you a drink.

i would never have thought to check this, since everybody knows that *all* computer cables are made expressly in such a way that you cannot put them in upside down. right ? (and i laughed at the story of the guy who complained to my friend the hardware geek that his screen wasn't working and when she went to see if it was plugged in she discovered he had plugged the screen cable in upside down. you know, the one that is shaped like a trapezoid, making it physically impossible to plug it in upside down. ).

the irony here is that probably my old disquette drive also still works, but it was plugged in upside down. but you know what ? i don't even care.

/me goes to make my ghost now.

cheers !!!
Old 11-27-2008, 03:02 PM   #12
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
I'm sorry, my Queen. Wish I could help. I can understand why you'd like a cigarette. Here, have a drag.

vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 03:04 PM   #13
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
I'm sorry, my Queen. Wish I could help. I can understand why you'd like a cigarette. Here, have a drag.

(NOW i can laugh at that. )
Old 11-27-2008, 03:13 PM   #14
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
you Sir are my hero !!!! i know i've already made you a knight (more than once i think) but here's a medal : it's the Silver Star for Valor in the Face of Extreme Tribulations Due to Maddening Hardware. You can call yourself Sir Sir Ralph Sir Edward. Thank you !!!!! i owe you a drink.

i would never have thought to check this, since everybody knows that *all* computer cables are made expressly in such a way that you cannot put them in upside down. right ? (and i laughed at the story of the guy who complained to my friend the hardware geek that his screen wasn't working and when she went to see if it was plugged in she discovered he had plugged the screen cable in upside down. you know, the one that is shaped like a trapezoid, making it physically impossible to plug it in upside down. ).

the irony here is that probably my old disquette drive also still works, but it was plugged in upside down. but you know what ? i don't even care.

/me goes to make my ghost now.

cheers !!!

Aw, Shucks, Majesty, any more sirs and people will think I'm stuttering....

But to complete you request ---
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 03:21 PM   #15
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Wow. "Sir Sir Ralph Sir Edward."

Quite a mouthful.

But thank you for coming to our majesty's aid!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aargh, bandaid, cigarette, computers, disquette, farking computers, ghost, hardware, just kill me now, kisstomakeitbetter, mad