Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Which cloud service are you preferring?
Amazon Web Services 11 11.96%
iCloud 6 6.52%
DropBox 53 57.61%
Sugarsync 7 7.61%
Skydrive 2 2.17%
Did I miss your one? Don't forget to submit a reply! 13 14.13%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-16-2011, 01:56 PM   #61
CyGuy
Avid Reader
CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 902, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, ASUS TF700, and Cybook Gen III
Why in the world would anyone pay for bandwidth to download and upload the same file over and over when you could just store it locally on an SDHC card? Not to mention that keeping content on an SDHC card allows you to easily move that content from one device to another by simply swapping the card. I really just don’t get it. Why rely on a network connection, and pay-per-MB to get to a file you already have?
CyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 02:29 PM   #62
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Offsite backup, not to mention I've misplaced quite a number of flash drives.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 02:37 PM   #63
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I've been known to accidentally format my backup!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 12:31 AM   #64
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexutix View Post
Just reopened this thread after a month to post this.

AS many people say here, backup services DO come and go like a breeze. Thanks to MR, I didn't store any data on there.

Spoiler:
Yup.

Every few years a new generation has to learn the hard way.

As P.T. Barnum said; "There's a sucker born every minute, and two to take him."
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 10:29 PM   #65
flitbee
flitbee began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
I never even heard of Sugarsync. Going to look it up now.
It ain't free..
flitbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 10:41 PM   #66
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training
DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3g/KFHD 7"/Nexus 7/Nexus 7.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogg View Post
Yup.

Every few years a new generation has to learn the hard way.

As P.T. Barnum said; "There's a sucker born every minute, and two to take him."
There is a poster on the other forums I read. And he has a saying that is almost a trademark for him. And it apples to off site backup services and life in general!

"If you do not hold it, You do not own it"
DustyDisks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 12:05 AM   #67
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by flitbee View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
I never even heard of Sugarsync. Going to look it up now.
It ain't free..
Like most other syncing sites they have a free 5GB account.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 12:43 AM   #68
SmokeAndMirrors
Addict
SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus Eee Pad Slider
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyGuy View Post
Why in the world would anyone pay for bandwidth to download and upload the same file over and over when you could just store it locally on an SDHC card? Not to mention that keeping content on an SDHC card allows you to easily move that content from one device to another by simply swapping the card. I really just don’t get it. Why rely on a network connection, and pay-per-MB to get to a file you already have?
Who says I pay for it?

I don't need an internet connection. I have Dropbox on my smartphone, and I store to SD. Which means I have all my files on the SD card in my phone, if it comes down to it.
SmokeAndMirrors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 01:04 AM   #69
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyGuy View Post
You may misunderstand how this "cloud" storage works. All of the files in my Dropbox (Sugarsync) are locally stored. I never have to go to the cloud to access my files. The whole point of these sync apps is to seamlessly move locally stored files between devices. At the same time they also archive multiple old versions of files that have been updated or revised. The only time files are moved between local files and the cloud or vice-a-versa is when they have been revised.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 11-21-2011 at 09:42 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 01:45 AM   #70
Nexutix
Reading and reading
Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Infibeam Pi, iPod Touch 4G, iPad Air 2, iPad mini 2, Oneplus One
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
The whole point of these sync apps is to seamlessly move locally stored files between devices.
Another advantage that Dropbox and alike services offer is data reliability for cross-platform sync. In other words, a cross-platform app can sync its data without hosting its own servers and potentially increasing reliability of data. (For example, To-do apps)

Conclusion: It's not all about size/permanent storage. Instead, it's about dynamic functionality it provides.

Open source private cloud services allow collaboration and act as a common workbench for professionals wherein collaboration is necessary. It almost simulates real-time working environment. If I am not exaggerating, MobileRead forums can also be considered as cloud for information sync. Now let's put that on SDcard.
Nexutix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 10:41 AM   #71
MV64
Addict
MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Eh...I'm not sold on cloud storage. I see the value for a lot of people, but I think hard drives work better. More easily accessible. Of course, you can always say: "What if your house catches fire and your hard drives burn up?" But I would counter "what if the cloud service crashes in an age of relentless and increasing computer hacking?"

Free cloud service would be useful, but if you're paying for it already, just get a hard drive and back your stuff up.
MV64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 11:02 AM   #72
Nexutix
Reading and reading
Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Infibeam Pi, iPod Touch 4G, iPad Air 2, iPad mini 2, Oneplus One
Quote:
Originally Posted by MV64 View Post
Eh...I'm not sold on cloud storage. I see ... back your stuff up.
Best solution is to use both; unless:
1. It sucks bandwidth
2. Data is personal
Nexutix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 11:07 AM   #73
gullable
gullable began at the beginning.

Device: none
Talking Personal Data in the Cloud Storage

Hi All!

I'm wondering if any of you do online data storage or cloud storage as some call it? If you were to compare it to using a USB for instance, would you consider it safer. The average person can have their USB stolen and broken yet when you have your data or documents stored online the chances of it happening are minimal.

I have been using https://www.mypdv.com and http://www.dropbox.com and I find them really good however when compared to a USB or any other form of storage, are they really safer?

Thanks!!
gullable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 01:42 PM   #74
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Quote:
Originally Posted by gullable View Post
Hi All!

I'm wondering if any of you do online data storage or cloud storage as some call it? If you were to compare it to using a USB for instance, would you consider it safer. The average person can have their USB stolen and broken yet when you have your data or documents stored online the chances of it happening are minimal.

I have been using https://www.mypdv.com and http://www.dropbox.com and I find them really good however when compared to a USB or any other form of storage, are they really safer?

Thanks!!
My own personal opinion is that likely there is no one method that is automatically safer or more convenient than the other methods. If you rely on a service such as Dropbox, then you are placing your trust in complete strangers. So - you have privacy concerns and business continuity concerns and concerns over whether or not ~they~ are maintaining adequate security measures.

If you rely on something like a usb stick, then you have concerns over damage or losing it or your kid deciding to flush it down the toilet (but maybe that's just here) and also remembering to regularly place your files where they need to be.

I think that's why you'll find most people here don't pick just one method for digital items that are really important to us. We back-up our back-ups.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 05:08 PM   #75
gullable
gullable began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by abookreader View Post
My own personal opinion is that likely there is no one method that is automatically safer or more convenient than the other methods. If you rely on a service such as Dropbox, then you are placing your trust in complete strangers. So - you have privacy concerns and business continuity concerns and concerns over whether or not ~they~ are maintaining adequate security measures.

If you rely on something like a usb stick, then you have concerns over damage or losing it or your kid deciding to flush it down the toilet (but maybe that's just here) and also remembering to regularly place your files where they need to be.

I think that's why you'll find most people here don't pick just one method for digital items that are really important to us. We back-up our back-ups.

There are so many companies that are coming out though. I was even reading an article about this https://www.mypdv.com site at http://www.dailyfinance.com/rtn/pr/r...channel=pscope and there is a huge amount of others that are coming through. I think with their growing popularity you can only assume that they are pretty safe unless you are storing something that is CIA classified...hahaha
gullable is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cloud, data, data in the cloud, documents in the cloud, library, mobile, online storage, personal, virtual storage