Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRiver Story

Notices

Old 01-14-2014, 01:08 AM   #1
Ntsimp
Zealot
Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iriver Story HD, Android
Firmware for a new Story HD?

My screen broke last week, and my sweet wife surprised me today with a new Story HD. I was very excited, because I couldn't find anything else that fits my preferences. But now I have a firmware problem. Naturally it has version 1.00, but I would prefer some of the later enhancements.

After charging it I tried to connect to my wifi to get an update. After I enter my password I get a error window saying:

Problems connecting to your wireless network.
Please check your internet connection.
Press "ENTER" to Go to Browser
Press "BACK" to Cancel

If I press Enter I get the Google home page, so I really am connected to my wifi. I'm thinking the server for updates is no longer online. What do you guys think?
The iriver website has downloadable files for versions 1.17, 1.19, 1.21, 1.29, and 1.33--nothing older.
1.00 to 1.17 seems like quite a jump; do I dare to try that file?
Ntsimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 10:34 AM   #2
CJJ
Zealot
CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: laptop, iriver Story HD, Galaxy Tab2 10.1
My Story HD can still connect. I am on version 1.34. If I go to Settings>System Wizards>Device Update Wizard, it connects to the update server and returns a message (No new updates).

The Google Bookstore is no longer available to the Story HD. You can no longer purchase ebooks through the ereader. However if you add books through Google you can still download them to your device by refreshing your Library under settings. Then when you go to the Google Book Tab you can "download all ebooks" under options. You of course have to have your reader signed in under your Google account.

It sounds like you are experiencing an internet connectivity problem. Do you get the Wifi icon at the top right? If you do then I'm at a loss, hopefully someone will come along to help you out.
CJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2014, 01:42 PM   #3
Ntsimp
Zealot
Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

OK, so I've tried it on another wireless network, and I get the same results. It gives that error window, then goes to Google if I hit Enter. The wifi icon comes on, and I know I'm connected; I can go to other web pages, and the first option in the Option Menu becomes Turn Wireless Off. If I try to put a Google Account on it I can't sign in; it just hangs on "Activating Device...". That last is not a big deal; I sideload all my books anyway. But when I try the Device Update Wizard while connected, the "Connecting..." window stays up only a couple of seconds, then I'm returned to the root with the wifi disconnected.
Am I stuck with version 1.00?
Old 01-14-2014, 04:45 PM   #4
CJJ
Zealot
CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: laptop, iriver Story HD, Galaxy Tab2 10.1
You could use one of frostschutz mods. I'd read up on it. You'll find the info in some of the previous posts.
CJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 05:13 AM   #5
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Firmware server is still up. 1.00->1.17 is the correct step, for the US device. Followed by 1.18, 1.19 and whatnot.

You should be able to use the 1.33 US wifi file on the iriver site, it should be a full update according to its size. I have never tested it though. Going from there you can use the downgrade mod if you want WebPortal and stuff, as 1.33 was the one that disabled the browser and google service completely.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2014, 10:40 AM   #6
Ntsimp
Zealot

Good old frostschutz! I hoped you would come through with the authoritative answer.
Now the 1.21 file is just as big as 1.17, and almost as big as 1.33; it's also labeled as "full". Does that mean that I can use it to go directly from 1.00 to 1.21 (which seems to have my favorite mix of features), or should I install the others in progression first?
Old 01-15-2014, 12:17 PM   #7
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
If it's a full upgrade you should be able to go directly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
I have never tested it though.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 01:06 PM   #8
Ntsimp
Zealot

It worked! Straight from 1.00 to 1.21 with the file from the iriver website. Thanks so much.