Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-10-2018, 05:20 AM   #1
Retired Newbie
Retired Newbie began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4GB 8th Generation
WIFI Kindle - complicated- can you help?

Hi,

As you can probably tell from my user name, I am retired and a newbie to this forum. Almost 2 years ago I bought a wifi Kindle 4GB, 8th generation. The shop assistant set it up for me, registered it etc. I only had it a few days when I decided I didn't want to have wifi at home after all, so my computer techno changed my modem back to broadband, removed all my data etc from my Kindle and I assumed I wouldn't be able to use the Kindle after that. I still have it and have been led to believe that I could still use it on my wired connection. Although there is no data on the Kindle, in my Amazon account, the Kindle is still registered to me. Rather than make this a drawn out story, is it possible to download eBooks via a USB cable on a wired connection to a wifi Kindle?

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Cheers
Retired Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 06:03 AM   #2
btsao
btsao began at the beginning.

Device: kindle, kobo, nook
If your computer is wired, all you have to do is connect your kindle to the computer, then download your ebooks from the website from Amazon's Manage your Content and Devices, then open Kindle's Documents folder and transfer the ebook to that folder.
btsao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 07:55 AM   #3
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
Or, if you want really simple, go to McDonalds, order a cup of coffee, sit down and order your books using the free WiFi. You can read books without WiFi. I turned on Airplane Mode and feature like the dictionary still worked fine.

I'm also confused by the terms you're using. I'm probably older than you and no geek but I went to shop for modems. There were cable modems and modems that work of cellular phone connections. The phone line "modems" are modem/routers. Broadband and WiFi are not mutually exclusive terms.

If it were me, I'd get a high school geek to set it up for me.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 08:26 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If your Kindle has not been charged for two years, it may well be dead. Have you tried to use it recently?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 11:31 AM   #5
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Just go to Amazon, to devices and content, look at your books etc and click the little dots by the side of them. This will give you the option to download and transfer via computer. Download the book to your computer, then transfer to your kindle using your usb. Put the books into the folder marked 'documents'.

You have your terminology a bit muddled. How do you use the internet? I don't have wifi, so I use a system which transfers the internet round the house using the electrical circuits. My broadband is company is a cable one, rather than the telephone.

If your kindle does seem dead, charge it from the mains overnight and see if this helps.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 02:24 PM   #6
Retired Newbie
Retired Newbie began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4GB 8th Generation
Thank you all for your input. I charged my Kindle up prior to coming here initially. Firstly I think I'm going to have to get somebody, maybe the high school geek to set the Kindle up again from a wifi location. I'm not too crash hot with terms, but perhaps what I call a modem is actually a router. I'm in New Zealand and maybe we use different terms here, I don't know. One last thing. Will I have to de-register my Kindle on my Amazon account and then re-register before settting up again. It's still showing that it's registered to me on my account, but when I try to do anything with the Kindle, I get a message saying it has to be registered.

Cheers
Retired Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 03:05 PM   #7
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Modem -> Router -> WiFi (option). The modem can be built into a Router or separate. WiFi can be built into a Router or separate, fed by ethernet.
That applies to Fibre, coax cable, DSL (copper phone lines) and even a 2 way satellite link.
Satellite isn't broadband. Fibre, coax cable, DSL (copper phone lines) are all forms of Broadband. Sometimes the Modem might use a Fixed Wireless link, this is rare Broadband.
The Mobile Cells are NEVER EVER Broadband, no matter how fast as it's not "always on", that's CDMA-1, GSM, EDGE, 3G, HSPA, 4G and so called 5G (more about infrastructure).
It's possible to have a standalone Mobile Modem, that might have WiFi or USB or Ethernet. Or you can use some phones this way (Tethering). My phone can work as a WiFi point for laptop or Kindle etc, but that uses its Mobile Cellular data, and then it's Modem and expensive. Not Broadband.

Ethernet is wired networking in your house. WiFi is shared radio connection in your house, WiFi has to connect to a Modem or Router + Modem to connect to the Internet.
You CAN have Ethernet and even WiFi connecting your computers, consoles, TVs, Kindle, printer etc and NO internet (Mobile, Broadband and Satellite are the three methods to connect to the Internet, which means "Interconnected Networks" and it existed many years before Websites, which are a resource on the Internet.

I might occasionally use WiFi on an eReader (I have not just Kindle) for a website or Wikipedia to look up a word or phrase I don't understand. I NEVER use it to send documents to my Kindle. I never use WiFi on the paperwhite or 3G on the DXG kindle for buying Amazon books. I always "download to PC" and transfer via USB. Amazon may think I'm using Windows, but actually the last two years I exclusively use Linux Mint.

The only difference in naming is that Europe we talk about Mobiles and Mobile Network and USA calls it a Cellular network and a Cell phone. Cellular is the technique used to implement a Mobile Network, so both are correct.

A Modem converts signals in the "outside world" to Ethernet. A Router allows more than one thing to share the Modem. (those can be separate boxes or in the same box). Networking via the household wiring is a marketing "lie", it's mains powered Modems with Ethernet and/or WiFi. They are really spread spectrum or OFDM transmitters. They'll work with no wiring up to about 30ft / 10m, the wiring supplies power and acts as an aerial to extend range.

The Kindle only needs re-registered if the account on it was deleted, or it is deleted on your Amazon web account. That needs WiFi, or possibly the Amazon Kindle App for Windows(Not sure?).

Once registered it never needs WiFi again, unless the account on Amazon OR the Kindle is deleted.
Also never report serial number of a Kindle to Amazon as mislaid, lost or stolen or it will NEVER register. Amazon blacklists and seems to refuse to re-enable. Then you can't create collections on it and only load via USB and any Amazon titles with DRM might not work.
The majority of my titles are either out of copyright from Project Gutenberg or my own writing. I do buy from Amazon and Smashwords. Via USB.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 06:11 AM   #8
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
@FrustratedReader: nice writeup on terms. Except I don't agree with the wording here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrustratedReader View Post
Ethernet is wired networking in your house.
Ethernet is just a cable that lets you send and receive data. To make it work as a network you need to run tcp/ip over ethernet for local and internet, or udp/ip for local only. Not everything ethernet is tcp/ip. You can also run ethernet/ip on it.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 10:08 AM   #9
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

A simplification.
While Cat5 cable or similar (4 sets of twisted pair) can be used for phone, Analogue video (Composite, S-Video, Component or VGA using baluns), ISDN, HDMI (two cables, no baluns needed), Digital Audio and USB, "Ethernet" is only used for networking and can use very many different physical mediums. Cabling need not carry TCP/IP, NetBeui and Netware used the same cables and Ethernet cards.
I've used coax with vampire taps, Cheapernet (ordinary coax with T pieces), Cat5 on 10Mbps, 100Mbps and 1000Mbs as well as Cat5e and Cat6. Both UTP and STP.
I've also used Token Ring. As well as networks using RS422 & RS485. TCP/IP doesn't need Ethernet. It can use WiFi or USB ports.
Note an ISDN patch cord looks like an Ethernet patch cord but they are not wired the same.
There are different physical and protocol layers on each system.
Old 12-11-2018, 10:12 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
This is probably detail considerably beyond that which the OP requires .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 10:19 AM   #11
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
once registered, a kindle stays registered forever unless

1. you deregister it using the device menus
OR
2. you deregister it from the my devices page when logged into your amazon account

if the device has not seen the website for 2 years, because it has been offline, it may be wanting to check your account status with amazon ?

NB when it does connect ( after 2+ years) it will almost certainly decide that its software is out of date and an upgrade will be pushed to it

assuming you have it charged and working OK offline, a simple test will be to take it to somewhere where there is free public wifi and see if it connects there. That will help isolate whether you have a device issue, or a wifi issue at home
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 07:28 AM   #12
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
once registered, a kindle stays registered forever unless

1. you deregister it using the device menus
OR
2. you deregister it from the my devices page when logged into your amazon account
3. It's reported to Amazon as lost or stolen. Then Amazon deregisters it and it can never be registered. Never publish your serial ID. The Serial ID is also part of the key for any title with DRM.
Old 12-12-2018, 07:28 AM   #13
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
This is probably detail considerably beyond that which the OP requires .
Or indeed most people.
Old 12-12-2018, 12:59 PM   #14
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
I found FrustratedReader and DuckieTigger's posts very confusing!

stumped: My kindle didn't "see" Amazon for 4 years - I hadn't registered the actual device, but Amazon had created a kindle account for me via the phone. The kindle is always in aeroplane mode and I'd been downloading books to add to kindle via usb during that time, and bought many freebies and low priced ebooks from Amazon.

When I wanted to register the kindle itself I had no problems. I just used a friend's wifi and my Amazon password and the process was painless. I didn't have any of the issues that the OP has.

So I don't think that the length of time has anything to do with the registration problem (although I was using the account frequently). Maybe the OP could return to give more detail.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 02:31 PM   #15
janrey
Groupie
janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrustratedReader View Post
3. It's reported to Amazon as lost or stolen. Then Amazon deregisters it and it can never be registered. Never publish your serial ID. The Serial ID is also part of the key for any title with DRM.
It can't be registered by someone else but it can be unblocked by the original owner.
janrey is offline   Reply With Quote