Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 12-06-2018, 12:50 AM   #46
jyao75
jyao75 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Boox Note
Quote:
Originally Posted by eng10110 View Post
So it leads me to wonder why Onyx did not put an actual handwriting to Text function to allow conversion of handwriting to actual text??

They clearly already have the logic and functionality already built in.
I think it will come in the near future. If you look at this video from Boox https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBO3FQmDo84
it is already showing that feature. Don't know why they didn't release it with 2.0 firmware.
jyao75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 03:03 AM   #47
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyao75 View Post
I think it will come in the near future. If you look at this video from Boox https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBO3FQmDo84
it is already showing that feature. Don't know why they didn't release it with 2.0 firmware.
Yes, but why use an external certificate that require a Wifi connexion ?
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 04:16 AM   #48
plusz
Addict
plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: 13.3" Boox Max2, 7" Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by holger.nestmann View Post
I'll report the bug onyx' bbs when I receive my acount confirmation email
Where exactly can we report bugs?

I'm not so happy about the app optimization feature. I use for example "ES File explorer pro", without optimization the text and UI are very tiny but the app optimization turns every font black. Most of the UI is white text on dark gray background, after optimization (no matter what are the contrast and color enhancement settings) the text is black and the background black I wish there was a setting to choose the color of the font or not to touch it at all so I would be able to adjust the DPI at least.
plusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 09:47 AM   #49
Jmirko
Recovered collector
Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: see signature
Quote:
Originally Posted by holger.nestmann View Post
Does that mean you have google for work running with a work profile? My note hangs at creating the work profile.
No, we use MS Office. I needed to encrypt the drive in order to in to log in to my work account.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Jmirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 07:29 AM   #50
pabloso
pabloso can extract oil from cheesepabloso can extract oil from cheesepabloso can extract oil from cheesepabloso can extract oil from cheesepabloso can extract oil from cheesepabloso can extract oil from cheesepabloso can extract oil from cheesepabloso can extract oil from cheese

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyao75 View Post
so the most interesting innovation is not there
I am very disappointed
pabloso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 12:14 PM   #51
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by plusz View Post

I'm not so happy about the app optimization feature. I use for example "ES File explorer pro", without optimization the text and UI are very tiny but the app optimization turns every font black. Most of the UI is white text on dark gray background, after optimization (no matter what are the contrast and color enhancement settings) the text is black and the background black I wish there was a setting to choose the color of the font or not to touch it at all so I would be able to adjust the DPI at least.
I wonder if you have your choice of theme in "ES File Explorer". If so, choosing a different theme might help to resolve the issue. Of course, you may have to open up the app on another device to see where buttons are located and sort of press and hope on your Onyx device until you get it. Or you may be able to choose a different theme on another device and then export the settings to your other devices with the app installed.

Personally, I use "FX File Explorer". I was playing around with the themes to see which one worked best on the Note. I got one which rendered everything very dark, virtually unusable. Luckily, I could just make out where the various options were and could set things right again fairly easily.

If you can't get "ES File Explorer" working well, you may want to consider switching to "FX". I made the switch years ago after discovering that "ES" was always running in the background. And it would just start up again if I force closed it in settings. I'm not very fond of apps that have a mind of their own and run when I don't want them to. Hence, the switch. Something to consider.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 08:02 PM   #52
AstralZH
AstralZH began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Max 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmirko View Post
No, we use MS Office. I needed to encrypt the drive in order to in to log in to my work account.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
I got my Max 2 encrypted through 'Company Portal' app and am also considering factory reset so I can update. Did you also use Company Portal to encrypt the device? Did you factory reset through the settings menu or through the boot options?

Hope update process will be able to handle encrypted partition soon.

Thanks
AstralZH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 01:39 AM   #53
Jmirko
Recovered collector
Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: see signature
Quote:
Originally Posted by AstralZH View Post
I got my Max 2 encrypted through 'Company Portal' app and am also considering factory reset so I can update. Did you also use Company Portal to encrypt the device? Did you factory reset through the settings menu or through the boot options?

Hope update process will be able to handle encrypted partition soon.

Thanks
Yes, I used Company Portal to encrypt.
I can't remember which way I did the factory reset - it probably doesn't make a difference.
Good luck, and let us know how you succeeded!
Jmirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 12:19 AM   #54
AstralZH
AstralZH began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Max 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmirko View Post
Yes, I used Company Portal to encrypt.
I can't remember which way I did the factory reset - it probably doesn't make a difference.
Good luck, and let us know how you succeeded!
Thanks for confirming, as I was not sure whether reset would work around the issue. I deregistered Max 2 by uninstalling Company Portal and reset the device through the settings menu. I was then able to update to FW 2.0.
I have reported the issue through feedback and keep it unencryped until they fix it. Meanwhile, I am using outlook OWA in browser. It is bad to leave the device unencrypted though.
AstralZH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 08:16 PM   #55
orcinus
Gadgeteer
orcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enough

Device: iRex iLiad, Sony PRS-500, Nokia 770, BB 7200, Samsung i600, iPhone
This is the jankiest release yet.

Everything's slow, refresh is way worse than before, battery life is worse, typography is out of whack, everything's full of typos (Onyx was one of the rare chinese companies with very little typos before), the new UI sucks (how do i get the library to display a list instead of the useless huge thumbnails?), UI scaling for play store apps is set to a DPI for a damned cellphone for some reason...

This is garbage.
orcinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 08:19 PM   #56
orcinus
Gadgeteer
orcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enough

Device: iRex iLiad, Sony PRS-500, Nokia 770, BB 7200, Samsung i600, iPhone
Also, no way to remove their book and app shops, i presume? They're both localized to chinese market, what's the point of keeping them around if you've got the device set to English?
orcinus is offline   Reply With Quote