Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 11-30-2018, 07:34 PM   #31
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Just saw this article linked over on The Digital Reader:

Grammarly vs. Hairston

which tests Grammarly vs. the difficult sentences in this PDF:

"Not All Errors Are Created Equal: Nonacademic Readers in the Professions Respond to Lapses in Usage" by Maxine Hairston

Of course, the running theme throughout the article is that most Grammarly "corrections" were hidden behind the paywall. And many of its free "corrections" were not good.

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 11-30-2018 at 07:38 PM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 09:55 PM   #32
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post

Grammarly vs. Hairston

which tests Grammarly vs. the difficult sentences in this PDF:

"Not All Errors Are Created Equal: Nonacademic Readers in the Professions Respond to Lapses in Usage" by Maxine Hairston

Of course, the running theme throughout the article is that most Grammarly "corrections" were hidden behind the paywall. And many of its free "corrections" were not good.
Well, the idea that most of the corrections were behind the paywall doesn't faze me. It's a commercial product, and they're entitled to make some dough. The parts that don't work are more problematic. I use it--but for a typo-catcher in my browser-based typing. :-) Works GREAT for that.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 06:32 AM   #33
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:

Grammarly vs. Hairston
I pitted LanguageTool against the Hairston sentences. It flagged only 12 of the 67 sentences in grammar mode*.

Spoiler:
16. The situation is quite different than that of previous years. ►Did you mean 'different 'from''? 'Different than' is often considered colloquial style. Suggestion(s): from
34. Him and Richards were the last ones hired. ►Please check whether the nominative 'He' should be used. Suggestion(s): He
36. These kind of errors would soon bankrupt a company. ►Did you mean 'this kind' or 'These kinds'? Suggestion(s): This kind, These kinds
37. My favorite quotation is, " Take what you want and pay for it. ►Unpaired symbol: '"' seems to be missing
37. My favorite quotation is, " Take what you want and pay for it. ►Use a smart opening quote here: '“'. Suggestion(s):
40. If Clemens had picked up that option, his family would of been rich. ►It's never correct to use 'of' after a modal verb. Use 'would have', or, in informal register, 'would've'. Suggestion(s): would have, would've
40. If Clemens had picked that option, his family would of been rich. ►Did you mean 'have'? ('would of' is probably an incorrect use of the verb phrase 'would have'; as contraction "would've" sounds like "could of") Suggestion(s): have
41. Its wonderful to have Graham back on the job. ►Did you mean 'It's' (='It is') instead of 'its' (possessive pronoun)? Suggestion(s): It's, It is
42. Calhoun has went after every prize in the university. ►Note: went is a past participle of "wend". Did you mean 'gone' (past participle of "go")? Suggestion(s): gone
43. Next year we expect to send a representative to China (if Peking allows it. ►Unpaired symbol: ')' seems to be missing
46. State employees can't hardly expect a raise this year. ►Double negatives are discouraged in standard English. Can you reformulate this phrase or is a comma missing? Suggestion(s): can hardly
48. Although the candidate is new to politics she has a good chance of winning. ►“Although” at the beginning of a sentence requires a 2nd clause. Maybe a comma, question or exclamation mark is missing, or the sentence is incomplete and should be joined with the following sentence.
56. The interruption will not effect my work. ►Did you mean 'affect'? Suggestion(s): affect
62. When we was in the planning stages of the project, we un... ►Use first person plural verb with 'we': 'are', 'were'. Suggestion(s): are, were

@Tex2002ans Can you please check the Hairston sentences with Antidote 9?

* I disabled the built-in spell checker for my test.
Attached Files
File Type: txt hairston_sentences.txt (4.5 KB, 303 views)
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 11:36 AM   #34
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
I pitted LanguageTool against the Hairston sentences. It flagged only 12 of the 67 sentences in grammar mode*.

Spoiler:
16. The situation is quite different than that of previous years. ►Did you mean 'different 'from''? 'Different than' is often considered colloquial style. Suggestion(s): from
34. Him and Richards were the last ones hired. ►Please check whether the nominative 'He' should be used. Suggestion(s): He
36. These kind of errors would soon bankrupt a company. ►Did you mean 'this kind' or 'These kinds'? Suggestion(s): This kind, These kinds
37. My favorite quotation is, " Take what you want and pay for it. ►Unpaired symbol: '"' seems to be missing
37. My favorite quotation is, " Take what you want and pay for it. ►Use a smart opening quote here: '“'. Suggestion(s):
40. If Clemens had picked up that option, his family would of been rich. ►It's never correct to use 'of' after a modal verb. Use 'would have', or, in informal register, 'would've'. Suggestion(s): would have, would've
40. If Clemens had picked that option, his family would of been rich. ►Did you mean 'have'? ('would of' is probably an incorrect use of the verb phrase 'would have'; as contraction "would've" sounds like "could of") Suggestion(s): have
41. Its wonderful to have Graham back on the job. ►Did you mean 'It's' (='It is') instead of 'its' (possessive pronoun)? Suggestion(s): It's, It is
42. Calhoun has went after every prize in the university. ►Note: went is a past participle of "wend". Did you mean 'gone' (past participle of "go")? Suggestion(s): gone
43. Next year we expect to send a representative to China (if Peking allows it. ►Unpaired symbol: ')' seems to be missing
46. State employees can't hardly expect a raise this year. ►Double negatives are discouraged in standard English. Can you reformulate this phrase or is a comma missing? Suggestion(s): can hardly
48. Although the candidate is new to politics she has a good chance of winning. ►“Although” at the beginning of a sentence requires a 2nd clause. Maybe a comma, question or exclamation mark is missing, or the sentence is incomplete and should be joined with the following sentence.
56. The interruption will not effect my work. ►Did you mean 'affect'? Suggestion(s): affect
62. When we was in the planning stages of the project, we un... ►Use first person plural verb with 'we': 'are', 'were'. Suggestion(s): are, were

* I disabled the built-in spell checker for my test.
On those occasions when I've run Grammarly as a Grammar-checker, rather than a typo-catcher (as it works in browsers, which is where I do 99% of all my typing throughout the day), I've noted that it "stacks" errors. In other words, if you have sentence X, which contains 3 errors, it won't display all 3. It displays the highest-level mistake, the most common/simplest one, and then works "down" to the 3rd mistake. IOW, it starts with something simple like a typo and then drills down into punctuation and construction errors.

My point being that her test--isn't. She didn't see most of the errata that Grammarly may have caught, because she's on the other side of the paywall, firstly, and never drilled down, secondly. I'm certainly not saying that Grammarly is a viable substitute for knowledge, or a proper edit, but it works a bit better than she's crediting.

Offered FWIW.

Hitch
Old 12-02-2018, 08:11 PM   #35
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
Missed: (49/67)

Correct: (14/67)

19 (company's)
30 (fee, however,)
35 (anyone)
36 (kinds)
40 (have)
41 (It's)
42 (gone)
46 (can)
53 (is)
56 (affect)
61 (predict)
62 (were)
63 (its)
65 (doesn't)

Bogus: (1/67)
--- It thought "french" and "german" were unknown words. Although it's strange, because other books I tested on it lets me know French/German are usually capitalized.

Potential: (1/67)
50 I was last employed by (Texas Instruments) company.
--- It knew "texas instruments" should've been capitalized. I could see how a strange proper noun like that could throw this sentence off.

Wrong: (2/67)
21 When Mitchell moved, he (bring) his secretary with him
58 Senator (davits) (come) from (New York)
--- I had no idea "davits" is even a word.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
My point being that her test--isn't. She didn't see most of the errata that Grammarly may have caught, because she's on the other side of the paywall, firstly, and never drilled down, secondly.
Yeah, I would definitely want a true apples-to-apples comparison.

And the formatting on that article was absolutely atrocious. All the images made is absolutely impossible to follow what was what. Would be helpful if there was a nice formatted list at the end.

Mind running it through paid-for Grammarly and see how it fares on the Hairston examples?

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 12-02-2018 at 08:21 PM.
Old 12-03-2018, 09:34 PM   #36
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Missed: (49/67)

Yeah, I would definitely want a true apples-to-apples comparison.

And the formatting on that article was absolutely atrocious. All the images made is absolutely impossible to follow what was what. Would be helpful if there was a nice formatted list at the end.

Mind running it through paid-for Grammarly and see how it fares on the Hairston examples?
Um....as long as I can take my time doing it, no, I don't mind.

Hitch
Old 12-04-2018, 12:58 AM   #37
Tex2002ans
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Um....as long as I can take my time doing it, no, I don't mind.
I need it NOW NOW NOW!
Old 12-04-2018, 09:05 AM   #38
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
I need it NOW NOW NOW!
Lotsa luck with that, buddy. :-)

Hitch
Old 01-09-2019, 06:29 PM   #39
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Just an Update on Word's Editor Panel. I recently stumbled on the following, of course it's possible it's been there all along.

Click image for larger version

Name:	4.JPG
Views:	290
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	168973

It allows one to focus on each type of error, which makes quite a difference.

But you still can't type corrections in the Editor box itself And most of the "Refinements" don't offer any suggestions.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote