Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-19-2018, 04:41 AM   #61
wildhoney66
Zealot
wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Amazon Fire HD 10
i try to read them in order as well.. but some series i haven't done that way, for example for the 87th Precinct series in (1995) i started reading the series i was able to get the 1st couple in the series okay. than no Library had certain ones around me and

no place had ones i needed to read or buy so i was forced to read them out of order. than you Have Piers Anthony's Xanth Series around that time i think it was ? i on a lark picked up part 10 Vale of the vole from (1987) and i was looking at the artwork loved it and on a lark i thought why not?

so i got that out of the Library and in one weekend i read the entire thing and LOVED IT!
so i read them from Part 11 Heaven Cent and from than on i read some of them in order and when i was able to find the earlier ones i read those too. right now i have no idea who the current characters are so

i decided to start over from the beginning and right now i'm on the 3rd book i believe. so i have a long way to go. but when it comes to series i do try to read them in order for the to make any sense, oh sorry for the ramblings
wildhoney66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 05:38 PM   #62
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildhoney66 View Post
i try to read them in order as well.. but some series i haven't done that way, for example for the 87th Precinct series in (1995) i started reading the series i was able to get the 1st couple in the series okay. than no Library had certain ones around me and

no place had ones i needed to read or buy so i was forced to read them out of order. than you Have Piers Anthony's Xanth Series around that time i think it was ? i on a lark picked up part 10 Vale of the vole from (1987) and i was looking at the artwork loved it and on a lark i thought why not?

so i got that out of the Library and in one weekend i read the entire thing and LOVED IT!
so i read them from Part 11 Heaven Cent and from than on i read some of them in order and when i was able to find the earlier ones i read those too. right now i have no idea who the current characters are so

i decided to start over from the beginning and right now i'm on the 3rd book i believe. so i have a long way to go. but when it comes to series i do try to read them in order for the to make any sense, oh sorry for the ramblings
That was one of the major issues with picking up older series back before ebooks. There are a lot of series that I've read out of order because of that. I think that I picked up the Sharpe series in book 3. The Hornblower series was similar.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 06:14 PM   #63
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Well, now I've found a series that I doesn't really fit well into either published order or chronological order. I am thinking about jumping into the series, but not sure if I want to yet. Terry Pratchett's "Discworld". It appears there are multiple storylines within the series. It seems this is a popular series, and people have even published charts to help you figure out what you want to read next:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped..._Guide_3.0.jpg

After looking at how large the series is, I'm not 100% if I want to read it. I'm trying to decide that now. I'll probably try reading "The Color of Magic" first, see if I like it, then move forward (or abandon) from there.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 07:12 PM   #64
wildhoney66
Zealot
wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

i prefer owning books rather than digital but here is the think about e-books both authors have books so hard to find it's just Not even funny... though with Mcbain a lot of his stuff Hard Case has been putting out well the stuff he did in the 50's. one really good one about a junkie that gets framed for murder is called So Near, So dead i think? and it's one of his 1st books from i think (1952) or (1953) around there that's 3 or 4 years before he even wrote Cop Hater the 1st in the 87th Series.

with Xanth though for a long time i wasn't confused the way i was reading them. but than i stopped reading them for a good number of years and he changed the series a bit.

the 1st let's say Cycle from the 1st book to whatever stopped if i'm not mistaken around the 32nd book. than the 33rd was the next cycle i forget how Anthony put it back than
but the last one i read was the 30th i think? there's nearly 45 of them now in case you are wondering.

i have some of the later ones on paperback but i just could not get into them at all.. than after spending a few years trying to get back into him it finally dawned on me that if i want the series to make sense again for me i'll just start at the very beginning and so i am. i hadn't read A Spell For Chameleon in years and it is a good book but not one of my favorite. nor had i read The Source of magic in years either.

another one that is still good but not my favorite, currently i'm on the 3rd Book going all the way back to (1979) the 1st came out 2 years prior. and it's called Castle Roogna.

as for Terry Pratchett honestly i've never read her before so good luck. the only thing i know about her is that Christopher Lee was in that tv Miniseries years ago and i love Lee as i watch anything that man did.
Old 11-19-2018, 08:00 PM   #65
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post

Terry Pratchett's "Discworld". It appears there are multiple storylines within the series.

After looking at how large the series is, I'm not 100% if I want to read it. I'm trying to decide that now. I'll probably try reading "The Color of Magic" first, see if I like it, then move forward (or abandon) from there.
This is one of the cases where a start reading the first published is not recommended.

Different tone and less well done.

(Same for Patrick O'Brian - don't start with Master and Commander).

I would start with Guards, Guards or any of 2-5.
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 09:36 PM   #66
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
as for Terry Pratchett honestly i've never read her before so good luck. the only thing i know about her...
One of the first things to know about her is that she's a he.

The second thing is that, sadly, he passed away from Alzheimers a few years ago. I'm assuming it was Alzheimers that took him, but can't say for certain. I know he had that disease.

Last edited by haertig; 11-19-2018 at 09:40 PM.
Old 11-19-2018, 09:38 PM   #67
haertig
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little.Egret View Post
This is one of the cases where a start reading the first published is not recommended.

I would start with Guards, Guards or any of 2-5.
Thanks for the recommendation!
Old 11-19-2018, 11:29 PM   #68
wildhoney66
Zealot

thanks now i feel like an idiot and i think that was the cause cause i remember him passing away and that being brought up. i've never read his work though
Old 11-20-2018, 06:34 AM   #69
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little.Egret View Post

Different tone and less well done.

(Same for Patrick O'Brian - don't start with Master and Commander).
It will not do. Master and Commander is delightful and it would be a shame not to start at the start. Much groundwork is laid. That the books get better is a bonus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
That was one of the major issues with picking up older series back before ebooks. There are a lot of series that I've read out of order because of that. I think that I picked up the Sharpe series in book 3. The Hornblower series was similar.
Another issue with both Sharpe and Hornblower is that they were written out of chronological order. It's a problem without a perfect solution in both cases, especially Sharpe, IMO. Read them in chronological order and the back story changes and the action is constrained by what will already have happened in the future, but read them in published order and you miss the grand sweep of the Peninsular war. The books get better, also, in the flip side of the issue as above. It's rather a let-down in the middle of the series chronologically when you get to the dud early books.

The O'Brian books eventually get worse, also, but it's worse in a different sense. They're as well-written, but the whole story arc was getting tired as is inevitable in any very long series (which doesn't mean they're not well worth reading).
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 04:29 PM   #70
wildhoney66
Zealot

don't you hate it when that happens? i mean they write them out of order, i mean i'm sure it's not intentional but still it's a pain in the ass. kinda reminds me of the Narnia

books, i believe with that series he was suppose to do only 3 books Originally but they did so well that he kept writing them. and the big book i have them all as one big novel has oh well i am too tired to try an spell the title. so instead of writing that 1st which would

have made sense but i doubt he gave much thought when he had sat down to do something a prequel. still there is a way you should read those books if you are a fan like me. though i haven't read them all to be honest. hmmm but i really need to i think.
Old 11-21-2018, 07:26 AM   #71
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
don't you hate it when that happens? i mean they write them out of order, i mean i'm sure it's not intentional but still it's a pain in the ass. kinda reminds me of the Narnia

books, i believe with that series he was suppose to do only 3 books Originally but they did so well that he kept writing them. and the big book i have them all as one big novel has oh well i am too tired to try an spell the title. so instead of writing that 1st which would

have made sense but i doubt he gave much thought when he had sat down to do something a prequel. still there is a way you should read those books if you are a fan like me. though i haven't read them all to be honest. hmmm but i really need to i think.
A lot of time what happens when a series becomes popular is that fans will ask for various back story items which are mentioned in passing.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 03:31 PM   #72
wildhoney66
Zealot

i can see that, with some stuff i do get that but what drives me nuts is when they do prequels when not one single person asks for it. for example outside of books I love The Tremors films i haven't seen the last couple to be honest. but the 4th one is a Prequel that no one asked for and it wasn't even that good at all.

i get tired of them doing sequels than prequels another good example is the Ginger Snaps films there are 3 of them okay? well 2 of them fine but than the last one is a prequel? why? with books it's i think a bit different for example The Narnia Books has "The M. Nephew i'm never going to spell that right and i'm not even going to try.

well that book has the creation of Narnia and the origin of the white witch where you learn she has a sister. that makes sense cause you would wonder how Narnia came to be and so forth. Narnia reminds me a bit of the Neverending Story films and that's not a bad thing i don't think.

in short for some stories that's fine i get that but for others WHY? there's a Prequel to The Shining a film i mean that's either going to be a film or a tv series i forget which, and

that is going to be interesting since the hotel itself is haunted it's a prequel yes but that's different than the norm i think.