Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 09-01-2018, 03:47 PM   #16
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
crich70 Is it as easy to type on a Kindle Fire as it is on a standard keyboard?
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 10:44 PM   #17
Freehunter
Connoisseur
Freehunter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freehunter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freehunter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freehunter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freehunter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freehunter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freehunter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freehunter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freehunter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freehunter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freehunter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4PC, PW2, HD7, calibre
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Do you use a standard format in your TiddlyWiki or do you create a new one from scratch for each new work?
I have a general setup, that a friend gave me, with my preferences that I use for all my TiddlyWikis. Just added tiddlers for the main headings in the Table of Contents and went on from there. It is a series so just kind of grew from there.

I've added some basic headings to my standard setup and saved as a JSON file that can be imported to a TiddlyWiki. Open a new empty TiddlyWiki and drag the file to the top edge, when it turns green drop the file and follow the prompts.

Download book-bible_ver0.0.1_180901.json
http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/0vqh3ggnplwj7qs/book-bible_ver0.0.1_180901.json

To get an idea of what it looks like:

Last edited by Freehunter; 09-03-2018 at 07:46 AM. Reason: Updated download file
Freehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 04:54 AM   #18
evanhson357
EvnHrsn
evanhson357 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseevanhson357 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseevanhson357 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseevanhson357 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseevanhson357 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseevanhson357 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseevanhson357 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseevanhson357 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseevanhson357 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseevanhson357 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseevanhson357 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: none
When it comes to writing, I think I'd be lost without a computer.
A notepad is great to remember sudden ideas in the middle of the night, but I'd probably use up a forest of paper for every novel.
Can't imagine how they ever managed in the old days of typewriters.
evanhson357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 09:32 AM   #19
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanhson357 View Post
When it comes to writing, I think I'd be lost without a computer.
A notepad is great to remember sudden ideas in the middle of the night, but I'd probably use up a forest of paper for every novel.
Can't imagine how they ever managed in the old days of typewriters.
It's in all the movies, they sit in a cheap hotel room, let a cigarette dangle from their lips, and bang away on a portable typewriter. Before long, type written pages LITERALLY fly out of the roller while the hands of an analog clock spin around and around. You should watch more old movies on TV.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 02:45 PM   #20
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
In post #9, before I lead myself astray and went off on a tangent, I was going to say that because of the need for a not-online computer I bought a small 12" Thinkpad from ebay. I took a risk because it was used, but it turned up in great condition and is wonderful to write on. A bargain at £75. I think I've talked about it on MR before.

Although I love my Neos (one is a Neo, the other a Neo 2) I wanted something I could put writing programs on. The little Thinkpad works perfectly and is old enough to have the nice non-chiclet keys. (It's an X200)

While reading through the thread, I realised I'd had a 'senior moment'!!!
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 04:51 PM   #21
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
What do I write on? Anything. Paper, laptop, Chromebook (which I bought specifically to be able to take with me because of the light weight and long battery life), dictation on my phone. I keep notebooks everywhere and then dictate what I've written into the Chromebook.
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 11:28 AM   #22
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
We're so spoiled today. I recall when 40 character monochrome terminals were the best we had. WYSIWYG was a distant dream. So why do I feel constrained typing into my over-size phone?
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 11:35 AM   #23
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
We're so spoiled today. I recall when 40 character monochrome terminals were the best we had. WYSIWYG was a distant dream. So why do I feel constrained typing into my over-size phone?
Because those old screens may only have had 40 characters, but the old keyboards had room to really stretch out - and you could pound the keys. It felt so much more like writing when you could pound the keys!
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 02:26 AM   #24
evanhson357
EvnHrsn
evanhson357 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseevanhson357 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseevanhson357 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseevanhson357 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseevanhson357 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseevanhson357 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseevanhson357 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseevanhson357 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseevanhson357 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseevanhson357 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseevanhson357 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: none
Quote:
It's in all the movies, they sit in a cheap hotel room, let a cigarette dangle from their lips, and bang away on a portable typewriter. Before long, type written pages LITERALLY fly out of the roller while the hands of an analog clock spin around and around. You should watch more old movies on TV.
They make it look too easy all right. If I wore a hat, I'd have to tip it to some of those old time writers, but I think I've seen way too many old movies. Thank goodness for the Sci-Fi movie boom.
evanhson357 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paper and pen, writing machines