Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 04-25-2005, 04:30 AM   #1
Colin Dunstan
Is papyrophobic!
Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim
Wikipedia Encyclopedia on your handheld

jkOnTheRun is pointing this morning to a website that offers detailed step-by-step instruction how to convert the complete Wikipedia to TomeRaider 2 or 3 format.

Be aware that currently image support in TomeRaider is still buggy so even after a successfull compilation many images may not show up.
Colin Dunstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 11:44 AM   #2
hacker
Technology Mercenary
hacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with others

Device: Direct Neural Implant
I've seen this site before and tried it scripts, they don't work. The instructions do not work.

Soo... I decided to do it myself:

Wikiquote in Plucker format
Wikipedia in Plucker format (this one is HUGE)
Wiktionary in Plucker format

Below are some screenshots.. I'm working on cleaning it up quite a bit, and I might add some iSilo versions as well, but you get the idea. I have non-image and with-image versions, but with images its so prohibitively large to download, I'm going to be selling those on either CD/DVD or on SD cards directly.

You saw it here first! <grin>
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mq01.png
Views:	815
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	612   Click image for larger version

Name:	mq02.png
Views:	758
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	613   Click image for larger version

Name:	ep01.png
Views:	798
Size:	18.2 KB
ID:	614   Click image for larger version

Name:	ep05.png
Views:	764
Size:	16.9 KB
ID:	615   Click image for larger version

Name:	dp03.png
Views:	799
Size:	18.2 KB
ID:	616   Click image for larger version

Name:	dp06.png
Views:	734
Size:	13.2 KB
ID:	617  
hacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2005, 12:42 PM   #3
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
David these screenshots look gorgeous!

encycloPlucker 2005? Cannot wait to put my hands on it.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 01:19 PM   #4
sUnShInE
Drama Queen
sUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to behold

Device: Palm Tungsten T|T3
Seriously gorgeous.

But I have to ask: How big are the files? (gulp)
sUnShInE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 10:06 AM   #5
SirOops
SirOops began at the beginning.

Device: Dell Axim Pocket PC
TomeRaider image support is now stable.

English and German Wikipedias with images are now available for PPC and Palm.
File sizes for the English version range from 1 Gb to 2.6 Gb, depending on size and number of images.

More at http://infodisiac.com/Wikipedia/

Last edited by SirOops; 01-02-2006 at 09:13 PM. Reason: site moved
SirOops is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2005, 10:11 AM   #6
Colin Dunstan
Is papyrophobic!
Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim
Thank you for the heads up and the link, SirOops!
Colin Dunstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 10:59 PM   #7
hacker
Technology Mercenary
hacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with others

There's NO WAY that the TomeRaider version of Wikipedia is including images, not unless they're excluding 99% of those images from their version.

I have the full archive of Wikipedia mirrored here and the images from 2005 alone are 70 gigabytes uncompressed. Even if you could compress every single image by 99%, that's still an enormous archive, not including the text of each article..

The 2007 version of Wikipedia's images is 300 gigabytes alone.

It simply can't be done, not on current Palm devices with current storage. Even an 8gb SDHC card won't hold text+images.

There are some ways to do it (Plucker can do inter-pdb links for example, so you can have one-letter-per-pdb and link between them), but its still a problem.
Old 08-27-2007, 01:23 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I would guess that, in April 2005, Wiki was somewhat smaller than it is today.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 05:36 PM   #9
SirOops
SirOops began at the beginning.

Device: Dell Axim Pocket PC
> There's NO WAY that the TomeRaider version of Wikipedia is including images,> not unless they're excluding 99% of those images from their version.

Thanks to a recent breakthrough in information technology images can now be resized.
SirOops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 06:56 PM   #10
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirOops View Post
> There's NO WAY that the TomeRaider version of Wikipedia is including images,> not unless they're excluding 99% of those images from their version.

Thanks to a recent breakthrough in information technology images can now be resized.
Sure can, but not enough to have them usable and get even a small fraction of the total number into anything that can be read on a handheld device. See David's comments about the total size of the images on Wikipedia back in 2005, and assume it's much bigger now...
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 02:39 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
One can, however, fit the whole of the text of the current Wikipedia onto a 4GB memory card. See the recent thread on the subject on the iLiad forum.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 01:51 PM   #12
hacker
Technology Mercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
See David's comments about the total size of the images on Wikipedia back in 2005, and assume it's much bigger now...
Just a minor update... those images come in at 2.5TB now, for the English version of Wikipedia.

I've committed to get the Wikimedia Foundation a storage server once this project takes off a little bit, to help alleviate their strain with creating image dumps, and give them some thanks for allowing me to create this product for everyone who wants to buy a copy.

Even if it were possible to compress 99% of the size out of those images, we're still looking at 250 gigabytes just for images, not including page content itself.

That being said... Now that I've found myself with some more spare time on my hands, I've rebuilt the Wikipedia and am going to be rolling out versions very soon (once I figure out the best/most cost-effective distribution mechanism).

There's some minor issues with Greek fonts and some obscure encodings, but it does work, and looks great! See attachments below for the current version's output so far...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenShot2.png
Views:	569
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	7514   Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenShot3.png
Views:	555
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	7515   Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenShot7.png
Views:	518
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	7516   Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenShot10.png
Views:	556
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	7517   Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenShot11.png
Views:	582
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	7518  
Old 12-03-2007, 08:45 AM   #13
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
Since Plucker is supported by FBReader, I'm very interested in this.

Even a text only version without images would be great on the iLiad...
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote