Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-12-2017, 06:28 AM   #856
mr.dave
mr.dave will become famous soon enoughmr.dave will become famous soon enoughmr.dave will become famous soon enoughmr.dave will become famous soon enoughmr.dave will become famous soon enoughmr.dave will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony dpt-rp1 (J)
Hello Everybody,

for the past 2h I was reading back and forth in this thread and checking out several links mentioned. I was already up to place an order - then I got second thoughts, because of the fast wear out of the pen pins. I would buy the device mainly for my Chinese studies, what means that I would write A LOT, up to 30 pages a day (fully written). Right know, I am using an iPad Pro since July, but I have noticed that the usage of the LED screen for at least 7h a day is seriously effecting my eyes.

I would appreciate any thoughts on appr. how many tips I would need per week based on my writings (let’s say 25 pages a day).

Bad thing is, that the tips are even a bit more expensive in China..

Thank you in advance and please notice, that English is not my mother tongue!

Regards, David
mr.dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 03:16 AM   #857
mr.dave
mr.dave will become famous soon enoughmr.dave will become famous soon enoughmr.dave will become famous soon enoughmr.dave will become famous soon enoughmr.dave will become famous soon enoughmr.dave will become famous soon enough

I just bought it, today. Even it's pricey, my eyes are worth it. Hope for some chinese manufactured tips in the future (but market is probably too small for it..).

Last edited by mr.dave; 12-14-2017 at 03:25 AM.
Advert
Old 12-14-2017, 04:57 AM   #858
viceant
Addict
viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-t1, Boyue Likebook Plus (T80s), Boyue Likebook Mimas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.dave View Post
I just bought it, today. Even it's pricey, my eyes are worth it. Hope for some chinese manufactured tips in the future (but market is probably too small for it..).
Excuse me, but where did you buy it from? I thought in Europe it is not being sold.
viceant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 02:18 AM   #859
mr.dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by viceant View Post
Excuse me, but where did you buy it from? I thought in Europe it is not being sold.
Hey viceant,

I am currently studying (and therefore living) in China. So I ordered it in China from Japan.
Actually I already ordered the device over 2 month ago from the US (as it was cheaper at that time), but when it finally arrived after around 7 weeks, I returned it immediately (without using / testing it) because it was in a very bad shape. It had scratches on the back, a ditched corner and the frame was loose around the area of the power button). It looked somehow pre-used and for that price I didn’t fancy to keep it AT ALL).

However, I like the white version more anyway and hope it will be in a better condition this time...

Regards, David

Last edited by mr.dave; 12-15-2017 at 02:20 AM. Reason: good old spelling mistakes in second language
Old 01-11-2018, 05:34 AM   #860
Salgueiros
Eudaimonia
Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T2, Sony PRS T3, Sony DPT-RP1
Just got it yesterday.

What a gorgeous piece of tech.

Worth every single f***** penny.

Software and setup went flawlessly, tranfer of documents is so easy, specially using wifi. And that screen... bloody hell.

Sony has got me used to the best pieces of tech i have ever had. My best ereaders were and still are Sony's. So well done, so elegant and sturdy. This one does not disappoint at all.

Last edited by Salgueiros; 01-11-2018 at 05:38 AM.
Salgueiros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2018, 01:59 PM   #861
natwin
natwin began at the beginning.

Device: Sony DPT-RP1
Hi all,

I purchased a DPT-RP1 a few months ago, and it's exactly what I've been needing for a long time since I prefer hand-annotating PDFs. Now that I've just started using reading glasses, I've found that the screen size is also perfect - my eyes wouldn't be able to easily read PDFs on a device with a smaller screen like the Remarkable.

I recently saw the below review and this line in the last paragraph intrigued me:
"My ideal would be to have a couple of RP1 units, one sitting by the home computer, one at my office."
https://www.barrons.com/articles/son...per-1504541767

Does anyone know if this would work, i.e., have two (or more) separate RP1 units but have each sync to the same Dropbox folder(s)? Or would each unit need to sync to its own set of folders?

Thanks in advance.
natwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 12:15 AM   #862
YasBean
Enthusiast
YasBean doesn't litterYasBean doesn't litter

Device: Sony RP1
It should be easy to do. The only limitation is that one computer can sync to only one RP1 (although one RP1 can sync to many computers).
YasBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 04:02 AM   #863
danielteleman
danielteleman began at the beginning.

Device: remarkable
Used the search function and didnt meet any results, so i wonder:

Have any of you guys bought it in Japan?If so, where? Is he japanese version usable after changing the language?
Cheers
danielteleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 05:54 AM   #864
hadesome1
hadesome1 got an A in P-Chem.hadesome1 got an A in P-Chem.hadesome1 got an A in P-Chem.hadesome1 got an A in P-Chem.hadesome1 got an A in P-Chem.hadesome1 got an A in P-Chem.hadesome1 got an A in P-Chem.hadesome1 got an A in P-Chem.hadesome1 got an A in P-Chem.hadesome1 got an A in P-Chem.hadesome1 got an A in P-Chem.

Device: DPT-RP1
Lightbulb Unpack and rebuild the DPT-RP1 upgrade firmware

Hi guys! Before, i found something in the jailbroken DPT-RP1.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=293735

Now, I pull out the FactoryReset.pkg and some scripts.
(FactoryReset.pkg, start_eufwupdater.sh, dec.key, sig.key)

It means that, we could likely modify the .pkg file and make an upgrade.

For now, I can unpack the .pkg file, the problem is how to rebuild a modified .pkg?

Unpack command:
Code:
start_eufwupdater.sh FactoryReset.pkg out out/sig.key out/dec.key

If you run it directly, may get an error likes this:
Code:
./start_eufwupdater.sh: 50: ./start_eufwupdater.sh: arithmetic expression: expecting primary: ""
It’s about the problem of anim section, remove anim stuff in the start_eufwupdater.sh, we don’t need it.
Just delete the whole of this part:
Code:
########################################
# start animation for package check
########################################

And then run the command again
Code:
start_eufwupdater.sh FactoryReset.pkg out out/sig.key out/dec.key

Or you can run the script which I have remove the anim stuff
Code:
start_eufwupdater2.sh FactoryReset.pkg out out/sig.key out/dec.key

Finally, you can get some files in the “out” folder
(FwUpdater aes256.key iv sig.dat)
The “FwUpdater” folder contains the resources.

So,the problem now, is how to rebuild the resources back into a .pkg?

All files has been uploaded to github
https://github.com/hadesome1/Unpack-...grade-firmware

Welcome to discuss together!

My email: hadesome1@gmail.com
My skype: https://join.skype.com/invite/JPNMlTtXodmB
hadesome1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 04:35 PM   #865
Sterk
Sterk began at the beginning.

Device: DPT RP1, IREX DR 1000S
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielteleman View Post
Used the search function and didnt meet any results, so i wonder:

Have any of you guys bought it in Japan?If so, where? Is he japanese version usable after changing the language?
Cheers
Hi there, yes I bought it from Tokyo (white edition) last October and it works smoothly. I don't speak any Japanese so I use it exclusively in English and is as functional as the black edition to my understanding.
Sterk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 04:56 PM   #866
natwin
natwin began at the beginning.

Device: Sony DPT-RP1
Quote:
Originally Posted by YasBean View Post
It should be easy to do. The only limitation is that one computer can sync to only one RP1 (although one RP1 can sync to many computers).
Thanks YasBean. I should have remembered that a computer can sync to only one RP1 since the Digital Paper app asks for a confirmation code generated by the RP1.

I had a chance to test this out with a second RP1 I have access to, and it does seem to work. I did find that the pen cannot erase input (e.g., annotations, highlighting, etc.) made on the other RP1, which is the other thing I was curious about.
natwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 12:11 AM   #867
YasBean
Enthusiast
YasBean doesn't litterYasBean doesn't litter

Device: Sony RP1
Quote:
Originally Posted by natwin View Post
Thanks YasBean. I should have remembered that a computer can sync to only one RP1 since the Digital Paper app asks for a confirmation code generated by the RP1.

I had a chance to test this out with a second RP1 I have access to, and it does seem to work. I did find that the pen cannot erase input (e.g., annotations, highlighting, etc.) made on the other RP1, which is the other thing I was curious about.
You can edit previous annotations by disabling "Limit Exciting Annotations" under Settings.
YasBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 08:00 AM   #868
mr.dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterk View Post
Hi there, yes I bought it from Tokyo (white edition) last October and it works smoothly. I don't speak any Japanese so I use it exclusively in English and is as functional as the black edition to my understanding.
I second that. Seems to be just the regular English version (but it looks nice in white, I think).
Old 01-31-2018, 02:24 PM   #869
majo
majo began at the beginning.

Device: Sony DPT-S1
Hello everybody,

Does anyone know how I can read my ibooks in my sony e-reader DPT-S1?

I'm sorry if this question doesn't go along with this thread, but I don't know where to ask.
majo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 02:28 PM   #870
xvan
xvan began at the beginning.

Device: Papwerwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by majo View Post
Hello everybody,

Does anyone know how I can read my ibooks in my sony e-reader DPT-S1?

I'm sorry if this question doesn't go along with this thread, but I don't know where to ask.

Use calibre https://calibre-ebook.com/

It has a profile for DPT-S1. Essentially it converts Amazon .mobi or .azw files to pdf files with proper size for the DPT-S1 screen.
You might need to try several font sizes until you find one you're comfortable with.
xvan is offline   Reply With Quote