Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-08-2016, 01:54 AM   #1
ninja_250cc
ninja_250cc began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard and Nook 1st Ed
any possible web IM client for 3g Kindle Keyboard/DX?

3g web browsing still works on old Kindles with the minimal browser. What i'm wondering is has anyone gotten a web portal to an IM of any kind to work anywhere? Preferably a metaclient (like Trillian - which I dont use, only know of) but at least some kind of IM period for realtime text chat with minimal bandwidth use. There used to be a number of them a few years back - most of which are gone when I follow links from articles on them.

I dont know whether the web client supports javascript, or whether that is required for any of the online clients.

PS i'm actually a little internet dumb - thats why i'm asking here. And I dont have the Kindles handy to test. (they are being used by homeless friends who only use them for email, i'm just trying to set them up with something realtime and it's a little clunky for random browsing and testing stuff) I don't even know what Google has or does for their accounts as I don't use one but they might have something that is viable.

Just looking for something that can show online, AFK, offline, and send short messages without the lagtime of email. SMS in many areas can lag 15 minutes or more.
ninja_250cc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 07:23 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
There is one or more IM clients in the Kindle Developer forum.

Use the 'report post' on your own post and ask that this thread be moved to the Developer forum.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2016, 07:49 PM   #3
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Moved.

@ninja_250cc, there is: Accidental IRC
It is not a web client, it is a KUAL extension.

Last edited by eschwartz; 06-19-2016 at 07:51 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 09:12 PM   #4
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Some web pages also provide gateways to various IM services. Even IRC. No jailbreak or apps needed for that.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 09:33 PM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The web browser is all laggy and stuff.
Certainly in comparison to a dedicated binary.

And yet, my IRC client for the MR channels is Thunderbird, which is at least a contender for the most heavyweight client.
Oh, who cares. My desktop can afford the cycles.
Advert
Old 06-19-2016, 10:35 PM   #6
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post

And yet, my IRC client for the MR channels is Thunderbird, which is at least a contender for the most heavyweight client.
Oh, who cares. My desktop can afford the cycles.
And binaries do not have the same fussy rules (at least on newer kindles, where the browser decides which websites you can visit). But they need you to capture your special amazon proxy HTTP header for 3G (no wifi on a DX), ya know?

With the "laggy web browser", no concern about 3G TOS limitations...

And please do not even THINK about running Thunderbird over amazon 3G. Nope. Not here.

Last edited by geekmaster; 06-19-2016 at 10:39 PM.
Old 06-19-2016, 10:43 PM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

I don't know much about the 3G aspect of things, I guess I kinda assumed that was handled through the networking. But of course they could have just made all the various services that use the 3G separately embed the proxy header.

Although, ISTR people mentioning various things they did on a 3G Kindle that relied on the 3G without any nefarious fiddling. Maybe one of the weather display projects?
Old 06-19-2016, 11:30 PM   #8
geekmaster

"Nefarious fiddling" LOL
http://www.onlinecrosswords.net/clues/nefarious-fiddler
Old 06-20-2016, 12:28 AM   #9
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

I'm no Nero, I'm terrible at musical instruments. (Fortunately, my obligatory "Arts" class was graded on effort, not success. )
Old 06-23-2016, 09:11 AM   #10
ninja_250cc

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
There is one or more IM clients in the Kindle Developer forum.

Use the 'report post' on your own post and ask that this thread be moved to the Developer forum.
Which ones please? I searched for 'kindle IM client' and didn't see anything really relevant for an older kindle 3/kindle keyboard. The list of kindle software I found didn't mention IM clients but otherwise seemed to have a number of other things so I assumed it was complete.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Some web pages also provide gateways to various IM services. Even IRC. No jailbreak or apps needed for that.
I'm aware some USED to but do any STILL do so that actually work on it? I was hoping someone with experience could point to something still working in 2016 that hasn't been shut down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
I'd be happy with a laggy but realtime web browser passing messages within a reliable 30 seconds without a bunch of extra clicks and hitting refresh trying to treat email as if it was an SMS client. :P Or something that beeps when a message arrives or anything. Email is great for longer form general details, but if youre trying to coordinate like two people at an airport grabbing separate things then meeting for a ride the couple minute lag and extra fiddling gets in the way.
Old 06-23-2016, 09:29 AM   #11
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja_250cc View Post
I'm aware some USED to but do any STILL do so that actually work on it? I was hoping someone with experience could point to something still working in 2016 that hasn't been shut down.
You can setup your own gateway:
https://github.com/lemmy/kraken-gateway

There are still SMS gateways online (some at phone company websites). And IRC too:
https://kiwiirc.com/client

Sad that the domain names for the popular IM gateways have expired, but there are still some out there (as I showed above). I guess they just could not compete with skype IM and facebook IM. But as I said, you can run your own servers at home (requiring some internet router fiddling to share the port).

Using on-kindle options for direct IM access via 3G (using corkscrew) are not allowed to be discussed in detail here. You must use web server gateways to stay withing the TOS. And as I said, you can run your own gateway.

Last edited by geekmaster; 06-23-2016 at 10:29 AM.
Old 06-24-2016, 05:32 AM   #12
ninja_250cc

I dont even know what corkscrew is, i'm not trying to abuse bandwidth anyway, short text messages in realtime are the goal not data.

The IRC thing might work, if anyone else knows for sure it works on the kindle browser let me know. (It is not in my hands to test at the moment)

So for this kraken gateway, thats something that I need a webserver at home to run, then I also run this gateway program which interfaces to IM? And can be set up with simple enough html interface that it should work with kindle/has been tested to work with? My only quirk is not having a stable IP address.

If in future someone becomes aware of a www interface to IM that is kindle 3 keyboard compatible with the built in browser please post the result. I'm not sure when i'll next get a chance to try it myself as both of mine are in use. Its so I can email someone an address to try to log in from and then contact me.
Old 06-24-2016, 08:52 AM   #13
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
- - - -
If in future someone becomes aware of a www interface to IM that is kindle 3 keyboard compatible with the built in browser please post the result. I'm not sure when i'll next get a chance to try it myself as both of mine are in use. Its so I can email someone an address to try to log in from and then contact me.
That is the link you where given.
It **IS** a www interface to IM that is K3 compatible.
It **IS NOT** a browser application, it is an IM application.
It **DOES WORK** properly, check you end carefully for PEBKAC (including your understanding of what you want to accomplish and how these things all work).
Old 06-24-2016, 08:52 AM   #14
geekmaster

Quote:
I dont even know what corkscrew is, i'm not trying to abuse bandwidth anyway, short text messages in realtime are the goal not data. [...] If in future someone becomes aware of a www interface to IM that is kindle 3 keyboard compatible with the built in browser please post the result. I'm not sure when i'll next get a chance to try it myself as both of mine are in use. Its so I can email someone an address to try to log in from and then contact me.
"Corkscrew" is a google keyword. Relative to amazon proxies, it violates the kindle TOS, and cannot be discussed in detail here. Bandwidth consumption is not the issue. Avoiding amazon takedown notices s the issue. And I would like to see www interfaces to IMs (and other protocols as well), if folks are willing to share them. They are getting rare indeed. Though the Mobileread IRC has its own web interface, and it is technically an IM. But most Jabber proxies seem to be dead now, with expired domain names.
Old 06-24-2016, 10:06 AM   #15
knc1
Going Viral

? ? ?
http://www.jabber.org/

Any possibility that the client your testing with has not been upgraded to support TLS?

Hmm....
Maybe our client needs to be updated also, I never checked what protocols it handles for secure transport.

or possibly your seeing the effect of this (very old) news:
http://blog.nextplane.net/2014/05/20...n-environments

tl;dr:
Google abandoned xmpp and neither IBM nor MS ever did "get it right".

- - - -

Maybe I should join the pack and disable all of my xmpp servers also.

Last edited by knc1; 06-24-2016 at 10:20 AM.

Tags
instant messenger, keyboard, kindle, web browser