Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-09-2016, 12:00 PM   #1
jenzibart
jenzibart began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2015 (PW3)
Question PW3 - is this normal?

Ok, I've only had the basic Kindles for the last two models. I have been using my iPhone 6 Plus to read books for the last year or more, but decided for reading at home, I'd go ahead and replace my old Kindle from 2012 with a PW3.

However, I've had the device not even 24 hours and it has totally locked up twice now. The first time I left it alone for several hours in case the issue was that it was not fully charged & the second time I completely reset it.

Each time I was transferring several e-books at once. We are about to go camping and I want to have all 1,000 books with me

Again, it has locked up twice now. Is it normal that it has locked up twice already? Or do I need to contact Customer Service and see if there is a technical issue?

I did check in the forums and did not find this topic, so I'm sorry if it has been asked before.

Thanks.

Jen
jenzibart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 12:44 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Probably a problem with a book.

I'd suggest doing a factory reset, then loading books in batches of, say 20-30. Wait for each batch to finish indexing before loading the next.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 01:13 PM   #3
IFixKindles
Connoisseur
IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW1 - repair many Kindle models
I would strongly encourage not loading all 1000 books on your Paperwhite. While it can hold them all, operating performance will be degraded by having that many books on it. If you put them into collections, the time required to move them into a collection gets longer and longer the more books are in any individual collection.
Your Paperwhite will perform much better by keeping the number of books on it under a couple hundred.
IFixKindles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 01:14 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
FWIW, I have some 1800 books on my Voyage, and no performance problems at all. I don't use collections, though.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 09:12 PM   #5
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I have a Paperwhite 3 and I don't recall it ever locking up on me. I don't keep many books on it though. I wonder if putting a lot of books on it at the same time could have something to do with it since it has to index them all. Just guessing. It's not something I have much experience with.

I also have 2 other Paperwhites of other vintages and a Voyage. All have been extremely stable.

I think I'd try putting on just a few books a day and see if that helps and if it still locks up I'd call customer service. If it doesn't lock up try putting on the rest of the books and if that locks it up it's a pretty good start at figuring out what the problem is.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 09:58 AM   #6
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
If you're bringing your computer with you, also, then you won't really need all 1,000 books (!!!!!!) on your Kindle.

I would suggest you put a couple of hundred on it - IN SMALL BATCHES - then let it finish indexing.

I have about 600 ebooks on my Voyage - which, for me, is a pretty stupid thing to do; I plan to delete about 400 - and I have performance issues ONLY when I add/delete something from a collection.

The Voyage is a beautiful ebook reader and has a gorgeous screen!
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 11:36 AM   #7
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Completely agreeing with everyone. The problem is you are making it work too hard. Trust me. Smaller batches will get done faster than all at once. I know my Fire threw tantrums if I did more than 100 without taking a short break.
I know it sounds counter-intuitive but it needs a bit of time to process.

For anyone else reading, this is the reason Amazon limits the deliver to device to 10 at a time.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 12:43 PM   #8
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
I agree--load smaller batches at a time. That way, if there is a book that is causing problems you'll be able to narrow in on which book is causing the problem.
I don't think having a 1000 books should be a problem--depending on the types of books they are. For normal AZW files that should be fine. I have 1,133 on my Voyage and don't have any problems with it slowing down or freezing. I did however load those books in smaller batches and as Harry suggested waited for the Voyage to complete it's indexing procedure with each batch before loading the next batch.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 04:58 PM   #9
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I've always been surprised that people put so many books on their Kindles. I typically have 20 to 30 books on mine and when I decide I won't read one soon I remove it. It's easy to get it back.

I don't really do this for performance reasons although I'm sure I get that benefit as well. I do it to make it easier to browse on the Kindle for my next book. I know pretty much what's on board and where it is and I can go to it easily. And I do it because the Kindle is an ereader and not a hard drive. I think 1000 books on ny Kindle would make it seem more precious and less like the tool for reading that I want it to be.

It's your Kindle. Do what you want with it. It's my world and I'll feel free to laugh at you.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 06:30 PM   #10
ashort
Connoisseur
ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 10th Gen
Geesh, I only keep the book I'm reading.
ashort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 02:41 AM   #11
BeeTee-Ess
Addict
BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4NT, KPW2, Voyage, iP4, iP6, iPad Mini, HP TouchPad, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
I've always been surprised that people put so many books on their Kindles. I typically have 20 to 30 books on mine and when I decide I won't read one soon I remove it. It's easy to get it back.

I don't really do this for performance reasons although I'm sure I get that benefit as well. I do it to make it easier to browse on the Kindle for my next book. I know pretty much what's on board and where it is and I can go to it easily. And I do it because the Kindle is an ereader and not a hard drive. I think 1000 books on ny Kindle would make it seem more precious and less like the tool for reading that I want it to be.
Barry
Ditto.

I have two collections, one for my own reading and one for books I read to youngsters. Each has 25 books in it.

How long is your camping trip, jen? Surely you can make a judicious selection to keep you supplied until you return. Meanwhile, I suggest you keep your 'library' (all of your books) in Calibre on your PC, which means both your library and your Kindle will be far more manageable. I'd also repeat HarryT's advice, that you should do a factory reset and start afresh.
BeeTee-Ess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 06:02 AM   #12
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Guys, everyone has different preferences, there's space on a Kindle for over a thousand books and some people like to have as much of their library on there as possible. Just because you are happy keeping only a small portion on your Kindle, is meaningless to someone who wants to have a plethora of options when they select their next book to read.

I too only keep about 10-30 books at a time on mine, and am happy to load up batches from Calibre when I get to only a few left. I appreciate not everyone else wants to do this though, and as long as you follow the advice to load the books on in batches, there's no real reason for people not have hundreds on there.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 07:21 AM   #13
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post

It's your Kindle. Do what you want with it. It's my world and I'll feel free to laugh at you.

Barry

Just so long as we don't bump into each other as we roll around on the floor!
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 09:29 AM   #14
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I don't inow how many books are on my reader, but it is the correct number; everyone else is obviously wrong!
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 10:34 AM   #15
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I don't inow how many books are on my reader, but it is the correct number; everyone else is obviously wrong!
308 is the correct number.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
issues, pw3