Old 04-26-2013, 04:47 AM   #1
andavane
Zealot
andavane began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, + Wifi, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini, Sony PRS-T2
The Softest External Reading Light

Within the skein of this post:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=211098

there will be situations in which an externally lit screen is preferred. Taking those situations and adherents, the question arises as to which external reading light is the softest to the eye, for which I will clarify my own position further. I am only able to sit in an upright reading/working position for limited periods of time, about 1½ hours maximum. The remaining times I need to recline, where I am propped by my carers, and for periods too I need to lie on my back. For all these positions I have a bewildering amount of gadgets. When on my back the eReader is stored in a self-standing adjustable angle case. This houses Kindle Keyboard (a lovely reader!) and Kindle Paperwhite, the latter being the easiest with a view to lighting. My favourite light (from a lighting point so far) is Octovo Solis, but not clipped to the Kindle when lying on my back as it shines straight into my eyes, so I prop it on my chest with crumpled muslin and then hope for the best.

To help solve this problem, a "Wedo LED Clip-On Reading Light for Kindle Books Pads Clipboards" has been added to my family of gizmos. I attach it to a mini clipboard, tuck on onb my chest and the angle the light any way I want. Pretty good, except the light quality, isn't nearly as good as the Octovo

So in the Glowing —non-Glowing thread, the strand of the question of readers' experiences of external reading lights would would be very welcome!

Regards

John
andavane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:43 AM   #2
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
It's not a clip-on, but I really like the quality of light from my Ott light that I use as a desk lamp.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:53 PM   #3
teija
Gadget fiend
teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite 2021, Sony PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
It's not a clip-on, but I really like the quality of light from my Ott light that I use as a desk lamp.
That's an excellent idea actually - not sure why I didn't think about that one. My Ott lite is normally confined to my craft room, but I have a feeling it may venture out sometime soon now.
teija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:55 PM   #4
andavane
Zealot
andavane began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, + Wifi, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini, Sony PRS-T2
Never heard of 'em till just now.
I see there are several models.
Which had you in mind?
andavane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 01:00 PM   #5
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
They don't, apparently, make the model that I've got any longer, but it turns on when you open it up, and it sits on top of my pc tower, and illuminates my whole desk area nicely. Looking at their website, they've got a whole lot of interesting models, including floor lamps and lamps with magnifiers in them.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:26 PM   #6
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
For reading on the couch I've been happy with their least expensive "wing shade" floor lamp for several years now. At my computer desk I have one of their flex-neck wing shade models. Both look like @ss, very cheap plastic appearance and feel, but light quality (good CRI, even lighting) is all that matters to me and they deliver. In perhaps four years of using both I had to replace one bulb.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:14 AM   #7
Vic333
Connoisseur
Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
LEDs are inherently harsh because of the technology involved. They give a very pure white light (which sounds nice, but is actually a bit jarring to the eye) and are very directional (which, once again, sounds nice, but the end result is that the light does't cover much area and is more likely to cause glaring on the surfaces they do touch).

So, unless there is some nice filter on the light, if you're looking for something soothing to the eye, look for non-LED lights. They will use much more battery life, however.
Vic333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:24 PM   #8
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
Ignore the post above me. I use a 60 watt equivalent led light with my reading lamp and it is warm with no glare.
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote