Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-26-2013, 02:15 AM   #1
Marclee
Marclee is clearly one to watchMarclee is clearly one to watchMarclee is clearly one to watchMarclee is clearly one to watchMarclee is clearly one to watchMarclee is clearly one to watchMarclee is clearly one to watchMarclee is clearly one to watchMarclee is clearly one to watchMarclee is clearly one to watchMarclee is clearly one to watch

Device: Kindle Touch
Problem Debricking: Cannot enter Diagnostics Mode

My Kindle Touch bricked up. The screen is stuck on the default screen saver which says something about special offers.
The screen never changed so far.

I've been following silver18's noob guide and got to step 9 "fastboot reboot" with some difficulty installing the drivers on Windows 7.
Fastboot always responded with OKAY OKAY. So I can assume the drivers were fine and fastboot successful?

Anyway, the kindle didn't boot up to diagnostics mode. The screen remained unchanged.

What can I do?

Edit: I've already tried to boot into diagnostics mode with MFGTool but no help.

Last edited by Marclee; 01-26-2013 at 02:16 AM. Reason: more info
Marclee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:16 AM   #2
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Make sure that you correctly flashed the correct diags kernel and partition. For example, if you downloaded a compressed image, you have to uncompress it before flashing, etc.

If unsure, follow the relevant parts of this post. I've done that multiple times, and I can guarantee you that it works if done correctly.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2013, 08:50 AM   #3
Marclee
Marclee is clearly one to watchMarclee is clearly one to watchMarclee is clearly one to watchMarclee is clearly one to watchMarclee is clearly one to watchMarclee is clearly one to watchMarclee is clearly one to watchMarclee is clearly one to watchMarclee is clearly one to watchMarclee is clearly one to watchMarclee is clearly one to watch

Thanks for the input. I am downloading the files according to your guide now.
I will get back later then.

I will not be able to copy pubdevkey01.pem onto the kindle since I somehow lost the ability to get the kindle to be discovered as a usb drive.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:53 AM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marclee View Post
Thanks for the input. I am downloading the files according to your guide now.
I will get back later then.

I will not be able to copy pubdevkey01.pem onto the kindle since I somehow lost the ability to get the kindle to be discovered as a usb drive.
Most common solution: Recharge the battery.

The Kindles will not export the USB storage system if the battery is too low to support making changes to the flash storage (a power hungry operation).

@ixtab: How about adding the above red text to your: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...42#post2398342 ??

Last edited by knc1; 01-27-2013 at 09:06 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:09 AM   #5
Marclee

I just finished flashing the device again but it still won't enter into the diagnostics mode. The screen does not change a single bit during the whole process.

Here is the log from the console which seems fine:

D:\fastboot>fastboot flash diags_kernel kt_5.0.0-diags_kernel.img
< waiting for device >
downloading 'diags_kernel'...
OKAY [ 0.261s]
writing 'diags_kernel'...
OKAY [ 0.943s]
finished. total time: 1.207s

D:\fastboot>fastboot flash diags mmcblk0p2.img
< waiting for device >
downloading 'diags'...
OKAY [ 3.392s]
writing 'diags'...
OKAY [ 6.284s]
finished. total time: 9.681s

D:\fastboot>fastboot setvar bootmode diags
< waiting for device >
setting 'bootmode' to 'diags'...
bootmode diags:
finished. total time: 0.014s

D:\fastboot>fastboot reboot
< waiting for device >
rebooting...

finished. total time: 0.004s

D:\fastboot>
Advert
Old 01-27-2013, 09:12 AM   #6
Marclee

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Most common solution: Recharge the battery.
Thank you for the advice but I have just unplugged it from a charging session. It's never been charging as much in the last day. Is there anyway I can assure it's actually charging and not decharging? I have read something about diagnostics mode being an energy sink, etc.

Last edited by Marclee; 01-27-2013 at 09:19 AM. Reason: format
Old 01-27-2013, 09:17 AM   #7
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Bad USB cable?
Bad USB port on PC?
There have been reports of such things happening.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:20 AM   #8
Marclee

Quote:
Bad USB cable?
Bad USB port on PC?
There have been reports of such things happening.
Well, that could be quite possible and I guess there's no way for me to confirm unless I try a different one? kk...I'll see to it.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:29 AM   #9
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Well, that could be quite possible and I guess there's no way for me to confirm unless I try a different one? kk...I'll see to it.
See if you can get it to re-boot into main (should change the screen display at least):

fastboot setvar bootmode main
fastboot reboot

Note: The Kindle will exit fastboot mode anytime the USB cable gets disconnected.
So if you have a flaky cable or port connection. . . .

Last edited by knc1; 01-27-2013 at 09:31 AM.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:34 AM   #10
Marclee

Quote:
See if you can get it to re-boot into main (should change the screen display at least):

fastboot setvar bootmode main
fastboot reboot

Note: The Kindle will exit fastboot mode anytime the USB cable gets disconnected.
So if you have a flaky cable or port connection. . . .
I've tried that from time to time but screen never did a thing.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:43 AM   #11
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
I've tried that from time to time but screen never did a thing.
The screen should at least flash during the re-boot process (when the kernel initializes the driver stack).

Did the USB vendor ID and device ID change? (Which should also cause a USB disconnect.)

Was the most recent time you tried after the most recent posted log of flashing the diag kernel and image?

Do you have serial port access on this Kindle?
(The diags menu also appears on the kernel, operator's console port.)

Last edited by knc1; 01-27-2013 at 09:47 AM.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:56 AM   #12
Marclee

Quote:
The screen should at least flash during the re-boot process (when the kernel initializes the driver stack). Nope. Screen hasn't changed in two days!

Did the USB vendor ID and device ID change? (Which should also cause a USB disconnect.) It did before (like earlier today) but not so much anymore. Yes, the usb disconnects and my windows alerts me of it through the beeping but it can't recognize the device anymore.

Was the most recent time you tried after the most recent posted log of flashing the diag kernel and image? Yes.

Do you have serial port access on this Kindle? I'm sorry...I don't understand. : (
(The diags menu also appears on the kernel, operator's console port.)
Edited
Old 01-27-2013, 10:00 AM   #13
knc1
Going Viral

If you don't understand - you don't have it.

The terminal capture log most recently posted does not show anything that would lead me to question that the flashing of diags "went wrong" anyplace.

OR, if it did - fastboot did not detect it.

It all still sounds like a low capacity battery to me - but I can't be sure.

Somebody else will have to help you with this problem - it is beyond me.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:06 AM   #14
Marclee

Quote:
If you don't understand - you don't have it.

The terminal capture log most recently posted does not show anything that would lead me to question that the flashing of diags "went wrong" anyplace.

OR, if it did - fastboot did not detect it.

It all still sounds like a low capacity battery to me - but I can't be sure.

Somebody else will have to help you with this problem - it is beyond me.
Alright, thanks knc. I hope for the best.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:44 AM   #15
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
We are sure the screen actually works...

Because.. if the screen hasn't updated. Even when a full power reflash is requested. And all that other stuff looked okay to me... certainly fastboot was going thru it's paces.
Doesn't that sounds fishy to anyone? Dead screen?
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote