Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 06-09-2023, 11:43 AM   #16
Blaineoreski
Zealot
Blaineoreski exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverBlaineoreski exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverBlaineoreski exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverBlaineoreski exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverBlaineoreski exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverBlaineoreski exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverBlaineoreski exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverBlaineoreski exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverBlaineoreski exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverBlaineoreski exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverBlaineoreski exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: none
Hello Mighty Dr. K!

Ah! Wow! I saw the new update. Got it installed and gave it a go on the multi-columns & headers. Alas...it seems to always hang at 93%?

Not an error and crash like before, just stops at 93%, Adding headers and footers.

I even tried the code from the documentation - thinking it was perhaps my mixed up header format:

<header style="justify-content: flex-end">
<div class="even-page">_AUTHOR_</div>
<div class="odd-page"><i>_TITLE_</i></div>
</header>

Same thing - just stops at 93. Tried a few different files.

Any files WITHOUT header - these all go through fast and as expected.

What do you think is happening?

Only tried EPUB to PDF.

Sincerely,

Blaine
Blaineoreski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 12:06 PM   #17
Blaineoreski
Zealot
Blaineoreski exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverBlaineoreski exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverBlaineoreski exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverBlaineoreski exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverBlaineoreski exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverBlaineoreski exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverBlaineoreski exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverBlaineoreski exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverBlaineoreski exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverBlaineoreski exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverBlaineoreski exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Hi Kovid,

Ah, NO! That's no hang...that's just... a time-to-process! IT WORKED!!!!!!!!!!!

It took 30 minutes, but...the headers are THERE! SO! ALLLLLLL good! !

The file is 787 pages long. Never seen a 30-minute process in conversion before. Even on really long files. How does that look to you? Got up to 93% in just about 6 minutes.

Sincerely,

Blaine
Advert
Old 06-09-2023, 12:50 PM   #18
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaineoreski View Post
Ah, NO! That's no hang...that's just... a time-to-process! IT WORKED!!!!!!!!!!!

It took 30 minutes, but...the headers are THERE! SO! ALLLLLLL good! !

The file is 787 pages long. Never seen a 30-minute process in conversion before. Even on really long files. How does that look to you? Got up to 93% in just about 6 minutes.
I converted one file for a co-worker that ran for over 24 hours. This is on what I consider to be a fairly fast machine (i9-12900, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCI4 NVME SSD). It sat at 47% for most of that time but was chewing up CPU cycles.

OTOH, the final output of the PDF to ePub conversion was pretty bad which I more or less expected since PDF is one of the worst source formats for conversion.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 01:58 PM   #19
Blaineoreski
Zealot

Hi David,

Ah! Yep. I follow. Sounds like you've seen some long conversion times, too! We're in the same boat. I hope that friend of yours at least took you out for dinner!

In this case it's really curious - this is EPUB to PDF. Also, seems the variable is the multi-column output? Somehow, that's really putting a slowdown on the rendering. Before, I could convert a file with multiple-hundreds of pages PLUS headers and...it'd be done in just minutes.

Seems like it's the added wrinkle here of the multi-columns that's increasing the conversion?

It's funny, I ran it two extra times with slightly different header and each time it finished within identical conversion times, like within seconds of 30 minutes each.

And now, I've just run it again with the main text size a bit bigger being the only change (just 3 px bigger) and...the file has been running for 53 minutes and...held up at 93%.

It's a bit less than optimal because...if there's any change - like the header needs an edit...that's a long wait! :P I'm actually gonna have to leave my cherished laptop running here in the office and go home now.

Ah! I'll keep my fingers crossed here and hope the powerful homerun hitting of Good Mr. Kovid can put a bit of the kaibosh on the processing time.

All the best,

Blaine

Last edited by Blaineoreski; 06-10-2023 at 10:11 AM.
Old 06-15-2023, 06:57 AM   #20
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Doesnt slow down for me. If you have a reproducable example epub post it.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-17-2023, 06:12 AM   #21
Blaineoreski
Zealot

Hi!

Ah, bless you, mate for giving it a test on your end there. Since yours is working fine, and I saw a few OTHER anomalies last few days...I'm wondering if it may not be my poor ol' OS what that needs reinstalling? Let me test a bit more and I'll reply soon.

Thanks, again!!!!!!!!

Sincerely,

Blaine

Tags
columns