Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-01-2019, 11:05 PM   #91
Elaxon
Zealot
Elaxon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elaxon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elaxon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elaxon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elaxon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elaxon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elaxon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elaxon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elaxon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elaxon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elaxon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20 Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
What the external variant does is roughly:

- wait for nickel [default Kobo UI] to be started (if you are using some launcher, you have to launch nickel manually first)
- kill nickel
- umount user partition (other mods could prevent that from succeeding, which would be suboptimal)

- display a "progress bar" (same as nickel bootup bar, squares, going backwards)

- mount the filesystems read-only (of the internal card)
[progress bar would get stuck forever if this fails, e.g. possible if earlier umount failed]

At that point the preparation would be done, now comes the interaction part:

- show a black screen
- if external card is present, wait for it to be removed first

- show a white screen
- wait for external card to be inserted [this card will be formatted]

The removal/insertion is simply a means to confirm that you want this card to be formatted. It's to help avoid blindly formatting a card that was left inside the device.

After replacing the external card, user interaction phase has ended.

- display a "progress bar" (going forwards)
- partition and format the new card
- copy all data

this takes a while, depending on amount of data and card speeds.

- reboot the device

After reboot the device would complain about unable to read the external card (since it's formatted for internal use) however this didn't cause any damage when I tested it, so I opted to not have a 2nd interaction phase prompting you to remove the card first...
So what I did is I reset my device again as I tried without KSM and it did not help as when I logged into Kobo it updated to firmware 4.12.12111 which the script did not work under.

I reset it again and then I used sqlitebrowser to put in fake details so I can keep it at that version. After that the script ran under firmware 3.7 which was the recovery firmware version. So I can say now I have safely backed up my SD card if I will need it in the future again.

I thank you for this script. I can also confirm it does not work under 4.12.12111. I may have done something wrong but I do not believe so.
Elaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 09:07 PM   #92
Elaxon
Zealot
Elaxon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elaxon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elaxon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elaxon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elaxon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elaxon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elaxon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elaxon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elaxon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elaxon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elaxon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20 Aura
I noticed people say the first headers are 10 MB, did my copy turn out correct? https://i.imgur.com/Zfky3kM.png
Elaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2019, 09:58 AM   #93
cramoisi
Librarian
cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: kobo gloHD - KA1
@frostschutz tested and still incredible on 22th sept. 2019 ! thanks

For macos users' sake, could you please upload a tgz file ? when unzipping the zip file in the Finder, macos unpack everything without asking thus there is no tgz to be seen... (the only way to do it and get the tgz file on a mac is to unzip with the terminal)
cramoisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 02:09 PM   #94
m-p{3}
m-p{3} began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Just wanna say thank you so much for this, I made a backup of a factory image Kobo Glo HD image, updated it to 3.19.5761 (so that it doesn't fail to gather updates) with the resize mod in .kobo, so it takes the empty space as soon as I flash it back.

It's perfect.
m-p{3} is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 06:18 PM   #95
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by m-p{3} View Post
Just wanna say thank you so much for this, I made a backup of a factory image Kobo Glo HD image, updated it to 3.19.5761 (so that it doesn't fail to gather updates) with the resize mod in .kobo, so it takes the empty space as soon as I flash it back.
That's a good idea. The only problem is that factory reset is a quickish way to solve some problems. If you do one, it will restore the factory firmware and you are back to needing to manually install 3.19.x.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2021, 07:10 PM   #96
Elektron
Banned
Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2 (mark 7), Kobo Mini
Will it work with the Mini?
Elektron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 05:47 AM   #97
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
The internal SD to internal SD transfer probably won't work on the Mini (and other pre-Aura-HD devices with only 256MB RAM). That one relies on copying all files into RAM to allow you replacing the internal card on the fly, but it just needs plenty of RAM for that...

For older Kobos with external microsd slot you can use the Magic Memory external variant. But I think the Mini doesn't have external microsd slot either?

So at most you could clone the card using a PC, then resize the data partition with the Magic Memory resize variant.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 09:57 AM   #98
Elektron
Banned
Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2 (mark 7), Kobo Mini
I cloned and resized. Thanks, @frostschutz!
Elektron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 02:31 AM   #99
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
I cannot get this tool to work with my Clara HD. The mod is hanging on the stage where data is being copied into RAM. I've tried three times, even resetting my Clara to its original firmware with the dev tools before trying the mod. As you mentioned ages ago, if the progress bar halts, something has gone wrong. Got any suggestions?
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 02:55 AM   #100
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@Cootey, I don't have Clara HD to test with, only my old 1st gen Kobo H2O... this hack needs an overhaul regardless, it might no longer work properly in recent firmwares (due to busybox update and other core changes). You might have to go the traditional route and use PC to clone it.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 04:52 AM   #101
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
@Cootey, I don't have Clara HD to test with, only my old 1st gen Kobo H2O... this hack needs an overhaul regardless, it might no longer work properly in recent firmwares (due to busybox update and other core changes). You might have to go the traditional route and use PC to clone it.
I ended up doing it on my Mac using Terminal commands. It would have been nice to use your tool, though!

I think it's amazing that you made a script to utilize Linux on the Kobo to work this magic.
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 10:32 AM   #102
tenisboyci
tenisboyci began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootey View Post
I ended up doing it on my Mac using Terminal commands. It would have been nice to use your tool, though!

I think it's amazing that you made a script to utilize Linux on the Kobo to work this magic.
I'm trying to resize the partition on a Clara HD but can't with method one and method 2. How can you resize with mac commands? Can you explain that?

Thanks
tenisboyci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 02:06 PM   #103
akzaidi
akzaidi began at the beginning.

Device: Clara HD
I'm similarly having trouble getting an upgraded SD Card (256GB) properly resized on my Clara HD. Here's what I did:

0. Open up my Clara HD and extract the default SD card
1. Use `dd` to create an image of the SD card
2. Use `dd` to copy the image onto my 256GB Card
3. Unable to use gparted to resize the data partition since it's fat32 and I only have macos and linux devices at home
4. Install SD Card into Kobo
5. Copy KoboRoot-MagicMemory-Resize-3.16.10.zip to .kobo/KoboRoot.tgz
6. Device restart
7. Disk still shows at 8GB, not 256GB :'(

Any idea what I can do next to try and properly resize my data partition? Should I try formatting it to something other than fat32 or might that cause other problems? Thanks for all thelp!
akzaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 02:43 AM   #104
akzaidi
akzaidi began at the beginning.

Device: Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by akzaidi View Post
I'm similarly having trouble getting an upgraded SD Card (256GB) properly resized on my Clara HD. Here's what I did:

0. Open up my Clara HD and extract the default SD card
1. Use `dd` to create an image of the SD card
2. Use `dd` to copy the image onto my 256GB Card
3. Unable to use gparted to resize the data partition since it's fat32 and I only have macos and linux devices at home
4. Install SD Card into Kobo
5. Copy KoboRoot-MagicMemory-Resize-3.16.10.zip to .kobo/KoboRoot.tgz
6. Device restart
7. Disk still shows at 8GB, not 256GB :'(

Any idea what I can do next to try and properly resize my data partition? Should I try formatting it to something other than fat32 or might that cause other problems? Thanks for all thelp!
Fortunately, [fatresize](http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/...tresize.1.html) worked like a charm.
akzaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 11:14 PM   #105
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Just ordered a SanDisk 64GB Extreme Class 10 card.

Is it safe to say Magic Memory is done for?

I'm planning on following this for the upgrade. But would prefer to use Magic Memory if it still works.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote