Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-19-2018, 12:38 PM   #1
toodeeptofind
toodeeptofind began at the beginning.

Device: kobo H2O
Erratic page number jump in kepub

I am reading a book in kepub and previously every 2-3 page turns would increase page number by one which I understand depends on zoom level. But IDK since 2-3 days ago, the page number doesn't increase for like 40-50 pages then suddenly moves like 10 pages. Say it is on page 32 and only after 50 page turns it increases to 38. Where are page 33, 34, ... 37?

I am using send to device feature in calibre.
toodeeptofind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 12:43 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The problem is most likely that you do not have all the XHTML files in the NCX ToC. Try putting all the different XHTML files in the NCX ToC and see what happens.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 06:56 PM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by toodeeptofind View Post
I am reading a book in kepub and previously every 2-3 page turns would increase page number by one which I understand depends on zoom level. But IDK since 2-3 days ago, the page number doesn't increase for like 40-50 pages then suddenly moves like 10 pages. Say it is on page 32 and only after 50 page turns it increases to 38. Where are page 33, 34, ... 37?

I am using send to device feature in calibre.
I haven't seen anything like that for the per-chapter page numbering, so you must be using the full book page numbering. If so, there have been some strange problems with the numbering if not all the internal files in the book are in the ToC. As JSWolf said, you need to rebuild the ToC so that it includes all the files.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 12:11 AM   #4
toodeeptofind

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The problem is most likely that you do not have all the XHTML files in the NCX ToC. Try putting all the different XHTML files in the NCX ToC and see what happens.
huh? Sorry I couldn't understand you fully. I searched for NCX TOC and as far I understand, TOC works perfectly. I can view TOC as well as click a link and go to that portion.

I would have tried this already but I felt it is a bit complicated with all manual coding. Can you help me how I can create TOC?

Just a thought: This behavior wasn't seen previously while reading the same book. 3-4 page turns increased page number but this is the just recent case. I deleted the book and reuploaded but still, the problem persists. IDK if ncx was missing it would have also created problem previously.

Old 03-20-2018, 12:14 AM   #5
toodeeptofind

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I haven't seen anything like that for the per-chapter page numbering, so you must be using the full book page numbering. If so, there have been some strange problems with the numbering if not all the internal files in the book are in the ToC. As JSWolf said, you need to rebuild the ToC so that it includes all the files.

Yeah, per chapter paging works okay. But one thing that I haven't understood is how previously perfectly working pagination suddenly isn't displaying correctly. I even re-uploaded it.

Can you give steps for generating NCX TOC?
Old 03-21-2018, 02:45 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Yeah, per chapter paging works okay. But one thing that I haven't understood is how previously perfectly working pagination suddenly isn't displaying correctly. I even re-uploaded it.

Can you give steps for generating NCX TOC?
Use the Calibre editor to edit the ToC (do not generate as that won't work). You need a separate ToC entry for each file in the Text section.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 12:14 AM   #7
toodeeptofind

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Use the Calibre editor to edit the TOC (do not generate as that won't work). You need a separate ToC entry for each file in the Text section.
Sorry for late reply. How can I edit TOC in Calibre?

Another question. There is already TOC in all epub and all hyperlinks work well in Calibre. Why do I need to re-edit TOC? https://www.mobileread.com/forums/pi...pictureid=7801

Last edited by toodeeptofind; 03-30-2018 at 12:18 AM.
Old 03-30-2018, 12:29 AM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Sorry for late reply. How can I edit TOC in Calibre?
Calibre has a ToC editor. Select the book and use it. Or open the book in the editor and a use the ToC editor there.
Quote:
Another question. There is already TOC in all epub and all hyperlinks work well in Calibre. Why do I need to re-edit TOC? https://www.mobileread.com/forums/pi...pictureid=7801
Because you want to read the book as a kepub. kepub is not epub. Some of the rules are different. kepubs have a requirement for a one-to-one relationship between the ToC and the files in the device. If you break that rule, strange things happen such as the page numbering is wrong.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 11:57 AM   #9
toodeeptofind

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Because you want to read the book as a kepub. kepub is not epub. Some of the rules are different. kepubs have a requirement for a one-to-one relationship between the ToC and the files in the device. If you break that rule, strange things happen such as the page numbering is wrong.

Thanks for helping me. But still, I am not sure I can do this on my own. I am confused.

Both toc.ncx has

<navPoint id="7" playOrder="7"><navLabel><text>1 The Psychopathology of Everyday Things</text></navLabel><content src="Chapter001.html#ch1"/>

So I checked the content file.

and epub's content shows
<p class="toc-chapter" id="rch1"><span><a href="Chapter001.html#ch1">1</a><span class="space"/><span class="hide">*8 space characters are here in file.*</span><a href="Chapter001.html#ch1">The Psychopathology of Everyday Things</a></span></p>
while kpeub's content shows
<p id="rch1" class="toc-chapter"><span><a href="Chapter001.html#ch1"><span class="koboSpan" id="kobo.9.1">1</span></a><span class="space"></span><span class="hide">*8 space characters are here in file.*</span><a href="Chapter001.html#ch1"><span class="koboSpan" id="kobo.12.1">The Psychopathology of Everyday Things</span></a></span></p>

But again I checked Chapter001.html file and
epub has

<p class="chaptertitlea"><span><a href="Contents.html#rch2">THE PSYCHOPATHOLOGY OF EVERYDAY THINGS</a></span></p>
while kpeub.epub has
<p class="chaptertitlea"><span><a href="Contents.html#rch2"><span class="koboSpan" id="kobo.13.1">THE PSYCHOPATHOLOGY OF EVERYDAY THINGS</span></a></span></p>
IDK all seem to link to correct links with correct IDs.

I checked other books and except that book, all books seem to work just fine with page no.

Last edited by toodeeptofind; 03-30-2018 at 12:00 PM.

Tags
kepub, kobo aura h2o, nickel