Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-04-2010, 10:21 AM   #1
Sridhar
Sridhar began at the beginning.

Device: iPad 3
Calibre crashing Mac OS-X

I have a Macbook Pro running OS-X 10.6. I have been using Calibre on this computer to fetch news and transfer content to my Kindle DXG for just under a month now. During this period, my OS has crashed about 5 times, requiring a complete shutdown and restart. And in each case, it seems related to a calibre-parallel process. I am not an expert in the OS and cannot understand the diagnostics that come up after the restart (in the report the OS asks if I want to send to Apple), but in each case I note the following line

Quote:
BSD process name corresponding to current thread: calibre-parallel
Is there a known issue? If not, is there something I can do to make sure the OS does not crash? I have been using Macs - both desktops and laptops - since 2005 and they might have crashed a total of 3 times before this. 5 crashes in the month after I started using Calibre could be a coincidence, but it seems unlikely to me.
Sridhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 10:33 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
The OS crashing tend to indicate something wrong with the system. Calibre is a user level process so should not be able to crash the system. It could however be triggering an underlying condition.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2010, 01:45 PM   #3
redlob
Connoisseur
redlob began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Aura H2O edition 2, Kobo Libra 2
I bought a Bebook Neo last week, and OSX crashed once for me too. It happened after the device showed up in Calibre as soon as I connected it.

By the way: the last OSX crash I had on this machine was when I didn't insert RAM properly, about 2 years ago. This machine is very stable.
redlob is offline   Reply With Quote