Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-22-2014, 07:18 PM   #1
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Voyage page turn buttons experiences?

People seem to be having different experiences with where the buttons work and where they don't. Maybe it is configuration dependent. I think the topic warrants its own thread.

It seems they work in the home screen, always for some, and only in list view for others.

Everyone so far agrees the the buttons do nothing useful in landscape mode.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 07:27 PM   #2
jswinden
Nameless Being

I'm not impressed with thee PT buttons.

The good: I like the feedback you can setup for them.

The bad:
  • They are too low on the bezel for one hand usage. My thumb naturally rests right on the button when holding the Voyager with one hand.
  • I'm having way too many accidental page turns even though I setup the pressure to the highest setting.
  • They don't turn pages in Landscape mode!

I will most llikely turn off the PT buttons altogether as they are not good for my usage.
Advert
Old 10-22-2014, 08:48 PM   #3
RDaneel54
Aging Positronic Brain
RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Oasis; iPhone, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
People seem to be having different experiences with where the buttons work and where they don't. Maybe it is configuration dependent. I think the topic warrants its own thread.

It seems they work in the home screen, always for some, and only in list view for others.

Everyone so far agrees the the buttons do nothing useful in landscape mode.
I have no problem with them in the home screen whether list view or cover view as I have said elsewhere. If it doesn't work for some after checking the settings, I would recommend getting a replacement.

jswinden's correct about them not working in landscape orientation which is an annoyance (that they don't work not that jswinden's correct ).

I'm trying to use them exclusively to see if I like them. The jury is still out as it's been awhile since I was regularly using my Kindle 3.
RDaneel54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 09:07 PM   #4
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
I'm going to give them a chance. It seems more natural for me to just touch the screen for page turns.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 11:11 PM   #5
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD
A disaster for me. I've already ordered my PW2. Really looking forward to it - it'll be here Friday.
pghaworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2014, 08:17 AM   #6
tamborine
Connoisseur
tamborine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tamborine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tamborine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tamborine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tamborine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tamborine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tamborine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tamborine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tamborine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tamborine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tamborine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Aura One, Kindle Fire HD
I'm loving the page turn buttons. When I read, I hold the device in my left hand, and my thumb is too short to comfortably reach over touch the screen in the correct place. So I wound up lifting my right hand to tap every time. Now my thumb rests right on the Page Press line as I read, and I haven't had accidental turns even though I have it set on low pressure.
tamborine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 11:03 AM   #7
badbob001
Fanatic
badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (rip), Kindle Voyage, Fire Tablet 10 '17, iPad '19
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghaworth View Post
A disaster for me. I've already ordered my PW2. Really looking forward to it - it'll be here Friday.
Isn't it possible to simply disable the buttons? Then it'll be like the PW2?
badbob001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 11:19 AM   #8
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghaworth View Post
I'm experimenting more today, even though I plan to return mine. I want to love this device. I think the answer for me will be to set the presses at high and only use my right hand. Not optimal, but functional. Hopefully, I'll then be able to use it - except for the screen issues. If that resolves spontaneously then I'll keep it.
Old 10-23-2014, 11:24 AM   #9
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbob001 View Post
Yes of course they can be disabled. But if you buy something partially because one of the new features really appeals to you, and that feature is so poorly implemented that you have to turn it off, then that is not a good thing. IMO the good in the Voyage seems to outweigh the bad, but the PT buttons are a big fail. People have been requesting PT buttons be put back on touchscreen Kindles ever since they were taken off. So there is a lot of disappointment over how poorly these PT buttons were implemented.
Old 10-23-2014, 11:49 AM   #10
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Yes of course they can be disabled. But if you buy something partially because one of the new features really appeals to you, and that feature is so poorly implemented that you have to turn it off, then that is not a good thing. IMO the good in the Voyage seems to outweigh the bad, but the PT buttons are a big fail. People have been requesting PT buttons be put back on touchscreen Kindles ever since they were taken off. So there is a lot of disappointment over how poorly these PT buttons were implemented.
Ditto - well said. I'm still getting accidental PTs, even with it on high. I can't touch my KV without activating a turn unless I pick it up or hold it by the bottom or top, at the moment. Haven't given up, but it's frustrating.
Old 10-23-2014, 11:56 AM   #11
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbob001 View Post
Absolutely, but would you pay $80.00 more for a device with the same "feature" (no page turn button) as one you already have? I have a PW1 and wanted a new Kindle so the PW2 will give me the same "benefit" - no page turn button - without the added expense. The other issue for me is the hard edges - I'm looking for silicone cases - very light weight and I already use them on all my devices. That will save my hands, add grippiness to it, and allow me to hold it, I hope, without activating pages turns mistakenly.
Old 10-23-2014, 12:09 PM   #12
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I agree. I dislike everything about them. Their placement is poor and it's too easy to trigger them. For me, there's just nothing good about them really. A shame because it was one of the features I was really looking forward to.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 12:14 PM   #13
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
I agree. I dislike everything about them. Their placement is poor and it's too easy to trigger them. For me, there's just nothing good about them really. A shame because it was one of the features I was really looking forward to.
Same here. It was the feature, besides the extra pixels, that I paid extra for. I was so excited to have them back.
Old 10-23-2014, 12:26 PM   #14
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
I have read in other threads that there are no bumps or other physical cues to their locations.

Are they back lit in any way? If not, how is one supposed to find them in the dark?
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 12:32 PM   #15
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
I have read in other threads that there are no bumps or other physical cues to their locations.

Are they back lit in any way? If not, how is one supposed to find them in the dark?
That is another issue and why I'm getting unwelcome page turns sometimes. I was hitting the back button without realizing it. JMO, but the implementation is less than ideal. A slight bump or very low illumination might help. I didn't try reading it the dark with it last night so I didn't test it. I'll try to tonight and see what I think.

Tags
voyage