Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-16-2020, 07:22 AM   #361
corinthian
corinthian began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra H20
Not sure where else to add this and it's not worth starting a new thread for. Here's a bit of extra information on what's working for me with regard to screensavers on the Libra H20.

Files should be PNG, 1264x1680. Greyscale 8-bit PNGs created in Photoshop work fine - no need to reduce to 4-bit (16-colour) files. The quickest workflow is to create a PSD template with those dimensions and image properties, then just drag the image you want to use as the screensaver onto the template, drag to resize, then save as PNG.
corinthian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 04:51 AM   #362
errenay
Enthusiast
errenay can name that song in three noteserrenay can name that song in three noteserrenay can name that song in three noteserrenay can name that song in three noteserrenay can name that song in three noteserrenay can name that song in three noteserrenay can name that song in three noteserrenay can name that song in three noteserrenay can name that song in three noteserrenay can name that song in three noteserrenay can name that song in three notes

Quote:
Originally Posted by corinthian View Post
Not sure where else to add this and it's not worth starting a new thread for. Here's a bit of extra information on what's working for me with regard to screensavers on the Libra H20.
Are you using the mod or the built-in feature?
errenay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 05:24 AM   #363
corinthian
corinthian began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by errenay View Post
Are you using the mod or the built-in feature?
Hi errenay, I'm using the built-in feature. In my case, at least, it really was as simple as creating a folder called "screensaver" in the ".kobo" folder and copying the images into it. I have "Show current read" and "Show book covers full screen" ticked in the energy saving options under settings.
corinthian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 11:00 AM   #364
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ✍️🏝️♎️ Kobo Clara 2E
I'm trying to use this hack so I can toggle between using book covers and my own pictures without having to connect to a computer and delete the screensaver folder.

But I previously installed Nickel with KO reader, so I already have a folder .kobo/KoboRoot.tgz

Therefore, I cannot do this step without an error. And I assume if I rename either of the KoboRoots it will mess up my reader.

"copy KoboRoot-ScreenSaver*.tgz » .kobo/KoboRoot.tgz"

Can I rename it? I assume if I overwrite the previous KoboRoot that will mess up my Nickel installation - is that true?

I heard so much about Kobo screensavers being so easy to customize that I assumed it would be an easy fix to switch between my own images and the book covers. I think I could use the method in this thread if not for the KoboRoot issue. Can anyone help please, thanks.

Last edited by Pjama; 06-28-2021 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Corrected screensaver file to screensaver folder
Pjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 11:48 AM   #365
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjama View Post
I'm trying to use this hack so I can toggle between using book covers and my own pictures without having to connect to a computer and delete the screensaver file.

But I previously installed Nickel with KO reader, so I already have a folder .kobo/KoboRoot.tgz

Therefore, I cannot do this step without an error. And I assume if I rename either of the KoboRoots it will mess up my reader.

"copy KoboRoot-ScreenSaver*.tgz » .kobo/KoboRoot.tgz"

Can I rename it? I assume if I overwrite the previous KoboRoot that will mess up my Nickel installation - is that true?

I heard so much about Kobo screensavers being so easy to customize that I assumed it would be an easy fix to switch between my own images and the book covers. I think I could use the method in this thread if not for the KoboRoot issue. Can anyone help please, thanks.
If you still have a KoboRoot.tgz file in your .kobo directory, something is very wrong since it should have been automatically deleted after the install. If you power off/on your Kobo does it try to do the install and then delete the file? If as you wrote, it is a KoboRoot.tgz directory, that should never happen. If it is a directory, what are the contents?

On the other hand, I would not recommend the screensaver hack you are trying to use since, IMHO, the chances of it working on the new firmware is extremely slim.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 12:33 PM   #366
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
If you still have a KoboRoot.tgz file in your .kobo directory, something is very wrong since it should have been automatically deleted after the install. If you power off/on your Kobo does it try to do the install and then delete the file? If as you wrote, it is a KoboRoot.tgz directory, that should never happen. If it is a directory, what are the contents?

On the other hand, I would not recommend the screensaver hack you are trying to use since, IMHO, the chances of it working on the new firmware is extremely slim.
Wow, really, that is quite alarming. It is dated May 2021, which must be when I installed Nickel. The Nickel installation went perfectly. It’s maybe a little grayed-out though, so maybe I can just delete this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F0C5F4C9-F0E2-47D5-ACA4-3AC4E04AE489.jpeg
Views:	265
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	187918  
Old 06-28-2021, 12:42 PM   #367
Pjama
Guru

When I click on it it says 'the archive is either in unknown format or damaged'.

Given the tiny size, it doesn’t seem to be a proper archive file.

The only time I installed a file with this name was when I installed Nickel. The install went exactly as described here on mobileread. And just a couple of days ago, I was able to add the invert screen option to my menus, so that is further confirmation that it is working correctly.
Old 06-28-2021, 12:55 PM   #368
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Post deleted.

Last edited by DNSB; 06-28-2021 at 12:58 PM. Reason: Duplicate post
Old 06-28-2021, 12:57 PM   #369
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjama View Post
Wow, really, that is quite alarming. It is dated May 2021, which must be when I installed Nickel. The Nickel installation went perfectly. It’s maybe a little grayed-out though, so maybe I can just delete this?
Looking at that, it is not a KoboRoot.tgz file but rather a ._KoboRoot.tgz file. That pair of characters at the start of the filename lead me to suspect that it is an OSX metadata remnant.

You can safely delete it.
Old 06-28-2021, 01:01 PM   #370
Pjama
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Looking at that, it is not a KoboRoot.tgz file but rather a ._KoboRoot.tgz file. That pair of characters at the start of the filename lead me to suspect that it is an OSX metadata remnant.

You can safely delete it.
Thanks, yes, that sounds right, I have this open in Parallels, so it would definitely fit with being Mac-induced.
Old 11-19-2021, 12:41 AM   #371
Deobulakenyo
Guru
Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Boyue Likebook P78
Does this still work fine with the latest 4.30 fw?
Deobulakenyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 02:53 AM   #372
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Probably not. I'm not sure if its worth updating this since Kobo themselves added it to their firmware in 4.13 and later. At minimum you'd have to update fbink to support newer devices.

Just use the built-in method linked in the first post - even though it does not give you different images for powered off state, it works much better than this mod ever did since it had to jump through hoops to indirectly detect the sleep state...
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 07:07 AM   #373
kobayashi
Groupie
kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deobulakenyo View Post
Does this still work fine with the latest 4.30 fw?
Still works fine for 4.28.18220
kobayashi is offline   Reply With Quote