Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-04-2010, 09:56 PM   #1
dieterpops
Addict
dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.

Device: Always in flux
Returned my 900...sigh

I returned my new 900 after a one day tryout...I love the features, the speed, the industrial design, quite frankly everything, except the screen. It is darker than my 505, to the point where I got a headache trying to read the screen in the same spot I normally read my 505. Making the font bigger helps, but for $400, that is not the answer for me. When I tried a light to read in that spot, I got the dreaded glare.

Anyway, I'm very disappointed because I really wanted the 900 to work with its very rich feature set

Last edited by dieterpops; 02-04-2010 at 10:16 PM.
dieterpops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 10:09 PM   #2
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
I understand, readability is the number one factor in choosing an reader. Hope you find something that works for you....
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2010, 10:17 PM   #3
parias1126
parias1126 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Daily Edition 900
I just purchased the 900 tonight. I had the 600 and returned it because there was no 3G connection. I haven't used it much yet. Just played around with it and browsed the store, etc. I read a bit on it and used it in the dark with a booklight which made all the glare completely disappear. I guess its fine for me since I usually read at night with a book light anyway. We will see over the next couple days. I have gone crazy with research and sick of it. I didn't want to order a Kindle or Nook, be unhappy and go through the hassle of having to send it back. I wanted something I can buy, get right now and be able to try it out. After looking at Kindle's store and all the free book offers.....I'm thinking I would like to order one as well, but still scared.
parias1126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 10:37 PM   #4
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieterpops View Post
I returned my new 900 after a one day tryout...I love the features, the speed, the industrial design, quite frankly everything, except the screen. It is darker than my 505, to the point where I got a headache trying to read the screen in the same spot I normally read my 505. Making the font bigger helps, but for $400, that is not the answer for me. When I tried a light to read in that spot, I got the dreaded glare.

Anyway, I'm very disappointed because I really wanted the 900 to work with its very rich feature set
Sorry to see you leave the fold.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 12:01 AM   #5
raac
Zealot
raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950
I can see why you'd have returned it. The point of the e-ink is that it's easy on the eyes and has little or no glare. The touch-screen on the 900 reduces contrast (makes the screen darker) and adds glare.

I would like to share my story, however, since I too just got the 900. It arrived on Monday and I have to admit that I was really bugged by the screen when I first used it. I seriously considered sending it back and was disappointed. Like you, I really like the feature set and form-factor. Now, however, three days later, I'm way more used to screen, even at small font sizes. I'm not 90% certain I'll keep it.

Hope you find a reader better suited to you.
raac is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2010, 05:01 AM   #6
amjbrown
Addict
amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle app on the iPhone
Total sympathy - but the screen is just not as clear as the 505. My 600 went on eBay
amjbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 09:24 AM   #7
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
The screen and glare and reflection on my 900 bothered me too, it was my first reader and I was so worried that my wife would never let me live it down if I had to return it...

Then 5 minutes into the first book I forgot all about it...

It has been over two weeks now and I will occasionally notice a bit of glare but a slight tilt or just moving it a fraction of an inch takes care of it so easily I don't even notice the need to adjust anymore.

Overall I'm quite happy with my reader!!
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 09:57 AM   #8
DougFNJ
Avid Reader
DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature, 2TB iPad Pro 11”
It's a shame......coming from a PRS-505, I can definitely understand the touch screens can be, for lack of a better term....an aquired taste. I went from a 505 to a 700, now THAT was a tough screen to get used to, had to return it, then I went to the 600 which was a much better experience. 600 to 900 was a much easier transition.

I guess if you are used to reading one way, and it is not legible, I can see why your return may had been desired......hope you find what you are ultimately looking for.
DougFNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 01:01 PM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by parias1126 View Post
I had the 600 and returned it because there was no 3G connection.
But you knew that it had no 3G connection at the time that you bought it, surely?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 01:49 AM   #10
parias1126
parias1126 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Daily Edition 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
But you knew that it had no 3G connection at the time that you bought it, surely?
Nope! I hadn't researched them at all the first time I went into Best Buy. The salesmen kept telling me how it had the 3G connection over and over and over again. I believed he was correct and purchased it. All my local Best Buy stores apparently keep the Daily Edition in the back room and not out on the shelves with the other Sony Readers.
parias1126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 11:07 AM   #11
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
A booklight is a must for the PRS900. And yes, I was disappointed as well, at first. But with a booklight, I don't have problems and there are plenty of things to love about this device.

Yet, I can see how someone might be disappointed. As I said, I was as well, at first.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 02:07 PM   #12
dorino
I'm odd. Take note.
dorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-books

Device: deceased PRS-600, Nook STR
A booklight is a must for a PRS-600 too, if you like reading before bed.
dorino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 08:59 PM   #13
JLYates
Connoisseur
JLYates began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 900BC
I have had my 900 for over two weeks, LOL and now finally downloaded books and read one last night. I did play with the excepts that were on it.
I felt very insecure about a lot of the stuff, being my first ereader.

I at first was going, okay, darker than what I thought would be, but not bad. I read manily in the daytime at my computer beside a widow. I have a tiny bit problem with glare, but not much. I did put an antiglare sheet on it, and I really don't see much difference, but I do like that it protects the touch screen; I know I would have it dirty in no time.

I am sorry that you had to return it. Hopefully, you will find another one (Sony) that you will like better.

Janette
JLYates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 01:03 PM   #14
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I totally understand, having had the 505 and now the 900. But the plusses outweigh the minuses for me. Double-tap instant dictionary look-up rocks!
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote