Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-17-2014, 07:29 AM   #1
gavinjb
Connoisseur
gavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle
Books Metadata Sync and Searching Books

Hi,

I have just got a Kobo Aura after filling my old Kindle, I have decided I need an ebook reader with more capacity and so far I am very happy. I have found a lot of little features which were missing from the kindle which makes it a good ebook reader for me, but I have encountered a couple of issues which I am hoping that someone can help with.

1. Some books that I have transferred with Calibre I forgot to download the metadata for, so they were transferred without Comments etc.., I have now fixed this in calibre, but without removing the books and re-transferring I cant see a way of updating the comments... on the book on the Kobo (I do have the metadata management set to automatic in Calibre)

2. When searching on the Kobo is it possible to search for a phrase ect in a book e.g. I am always forgetting the title of a book and it would be useful if I can search for something I can remember which is unique to that book like an unusual character name...

Can anyone help.

Gavin,

Last edited by gavinjb; 05-17-2014 at 07:34 AM.
gavinjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 08:12 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by gavinjb View Post
Hi,

I have just got a Kobo Aura after filling my old Kindle, I have decided I need an ebook reader with more capacity and so far I am very happy. I have found a lot of little features which were missing from the kindle which makes it a good ebook reader for me, but I have encountered a couple of issues which I am hoping that someone can help with.

1. Some books that I have transferred with Calibre I forgot to download the metadata for, so they were transferred without Comments etc.., I have now fixed this in calibre, but without removing the books and re-transferring I cant see a way of updating the comments... on the book on the Kobo (I do have the metadata management set to automatic in Calibre)
My Kobo Utilities plugin for calibre includes this as a function.
Quote:
2. When searching on the Kobo is it possible to search for a phrase ect in a book e.g. I am always forgetting the title of a book and it would be useful if I can search for something I can remember which is unique to that book like an unusual character name...
No, the search is only on the title, author and series name.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-18-2014, 03:20 AM   #3
gavinjb
Connoisseur
gavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for the help, I didn't have Kobo Utilities installed, once I instaleld that I managed to update Comments in my Books.
Old 05-22-2014, 11:11 AM   #4
F.W.
F.W. began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T2
Hi,
I have a Kobo touch and tried to update the comments with the Kobo Utilities plugin. Unfortunately, this seems not to work for me. Can anyone help? I have to admit though that I have stored all my ebooks on a micro sd card and don't use the reader's internal memory.
F.W.

Quote:
Hi,
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
My Kobo Utilities plugin for calibre includes this as a function.
F.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 04:41 PM   #5
gavinjb
Connoisseur

For me it has worked without any problems, though I have only used it so far with internal memory, I have however found that things like comments, metadata etc... do not update after copying books to the Kobo, so I usually have to remove from the computer & then reconnect and update the metadata...
Advert
Old 05-22-2014, 08:33 PM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F.W. View Post
Hi,
I have a Kobo touch and tried to update the comments with the Kobo Utilities plugin. Unfortunately, this seems not to work for me. Can anyone help? I have to admit though that I have stored all my ebooks on a micro sd card and don't use the reader's internal memory.
F.W.
It shouldn't matter if the books are in the SD card or main memory. The plugin us updating the metadata stored in the database on the device, and that is the same for both locations.

What happened when you tried? The way it works is that when the device is connected, you should select books in the calibre library you want to change and then select "Update metadata in device library" from the plugin menu. When the dialog is displayed, select the metadata you want updated and press OK. The plugin does the work and then displays a message with counts of the books selected and changed. It only changes the database entries if the metadata in the calibre library is different to the device library, so it is possible to have no changes.

If message at the end indicates that changes were made, and the device doesn't show them when disconnected, or it didn't make changes when you think it should have, I need a debug log to look at. Run calibre in debug mode, try the update and then post me the debug log calibre produces. From that I should be able to see what is wrong.
Old 05-22-2014, 08:36 PM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
For me it has worked without any problems, though I have only used it so far with internal memory, I have however found that things like comments, metadata etc... do not update after copying books to the Kobo, so I usually have to remove from the computer & then reconnect and update the metadata...
That is the point of the "Update metadata in device library" function in the utilities plugin. The device reads the metadata from the books the first time it sees the book. This is stored in an internal database which is used for all library functions. If you replace the book, the book isn't reprocessed for any metadata changes. The utilities plugin will update the database directly with the current metadata from the calibre library.
Old 05-29-2014, 10:58 AM   #8
F.W.
F.W. began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T2
Sorry for my slow response...

Thanks for the great explanation, it helped me a lot. I somehow overlooked the information saying that one actively has to select the books before being able to update the metadata. Everything works fine now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
It shouldn't matter if the books are in the SD card or main memory. The plugin us updating the metadata stored in the database on the device, and that is the same for both locations.

What happened when you tried? The way it works is that when the device is connected, you should select books in the calibre library you want to change and then select "Update metadata in device library" from the plugin menu. When the dialog is displayed, select the metadata you want updated and press OK. The plugin does the work and then displays a message with counts of the books selected and changed. It only changes the database entries if the metadata in the calibre library is different to the device library, so it is possible to have no changes.

If message at the end indicates that changes were made, and the device doesn't show them when disconnected, or it didn't make changes when you think it should have, I need a debug log to look at. Run calibre in debug mode, try the update and then post me the debug log calibre produces. From that I should be able to see what is wrong.
F.W. is offline   Reply With Quote