Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-07-2012, 06:59 PM   #211
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
OK, I am back again. I have done the updated Kindle jailbreak (the one designed for the most recent firmware); press the screen on that document etc etc so I am presuming the kindle is now jail broken. But when putting python into the root, (I didn't unzip, just copied it straight over) when I eject, settings - update - that option is greyed out.

Never mind, it seems I didnt need to do python after the jailbreak.

Last edited by Pushka; 12-07-2012 at 07:38 PM.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:44 AM   #212
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@all: If it's still showing the default screensavers after an install (and without tweaking the screensavers folder), then you need to pay attention to the update process, because it most likely failed .

If it's showing the default screensavers *after* tweaking the screensavers folder, and a full restart, then the files are probably in the wrong format. (Check the screensavers folder, if it's empty/missing some of your stuff: wrong format. If you still see your custom stuff: see my previous paragraph).

On the Waterstones front, no news, since I've been pretty swamped IRL, and I don't have a Waterstones device to check it out myself.

@Pushka: Python is only needed for the cover mode. That said, it should be installable (especially if the screensavers hack itself is installable on your device)!
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2012, 08:35 AM   #213
snahfu
snahfu began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 4
i think i might have reinstall then.

there is an uninstall bin in the links zip. do i do the same process as installing? (but theres no unstall in the python zip)

or can i just install over it.
snahfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:46 PM   #214
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@snahfu: Yes. (To everything. Same process as install, there's no python uninstall because it's not needed, and you can just install on top).
Old 12-08-2012, 07:25 PM   #215
kindleBunny
Bunny
kindleBunny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindleBunny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindleBunny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindleBunny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindleBunny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindleBunny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindleBunny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindleBunny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindleBunny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindleBunny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindleBunny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2 Wifi
Hello, and thank you for all your work.

I have just finally re-jailbroken my kindle PW and happily installed the python script and the SS hack, as instructed in the README.txt.

I wanted to use the Cover option and in the linkss folder I copied an empty file named "cover" (no quotation marks). I restarted the kindle using the settings menu and when I put it to sleep, a blank file appeared. I checked that the cover_cache folder contains the cover of my last read book and restarted it again. Same thing.

I know I must be doing something wrong, but I have no idea what. I need help. If there is any detail I overlooked and needs to be given, I will be more than happy to do it.

Thanks in advance.

Later edit: I don't know what I did, but it works now but only one cover becomes a screensaver even though I have opened several books, and all respective covers are in the cache folder. This cover has been created as a screensaver in the screensavers folder and it is the only file there.

Even later edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilCat666 View Post
@Leir I'm no expert as can be judged by my previous problems, but! I have your issue if I just select a book and then sleep. However, if I wait a good few seconds or read a page, the book cover does appear as the screen saver. May be co-incidence, but maybe worth a try?
It works...Phew.

Last edited by kindleBunny; 12-08-2012 at 08:35 PM.
kindleBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2012, 11:58 PM   #216
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@kindleBunny: Yep, the cover is switched ~5s after opening a book, and, if the cover has never been processed, it'll take at least ~15s more (or a lot more if the device is busy doing stuff in the background).
Old 12-09-2012, 12:40 AM   #217
mindpower
mindpower began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite 5.3.0
hi,

i also have same problem as you , i have a waterstones kindle paperwhite.

please let me know when you get that wreched waterstones screensaver to vanish for good!

thanks

mindpower
mindpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 04:32 AM   #218
Raye
Raye will become famous soon enoughRaye will become famous soon enoughRaye will become famous soon enoughRaye will become famous soon enoughRaye will become famous soon enoughRaye will become famous soon enoughRaye will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@all: If it's still showing the default screensavers after an install (and without tweaking the screensavers folder), then you need to pay attention to the update process, because it most likely failed .

If it's showing the default screensavers *after* tweaking the screensavers folder, and a full restart, then the files are probably in the wrong format. (Check the screensavers folder, if it's empty/missing some of your stuff: wrong format. If you still see your custom stuff: see my previous paragraph).

On the Waterstones front, no news, since I've been pretty swamped IRL, and I don't have a Waterstones device to check it out myself.

@Pushka: Python is only needed for the cover mode. That said, it should be installable (especially if the screensavers hack itself is installable on your device)!
Question:
How could I know that it is failed or succeeded?? I can see a linkss/ folder created on the root with many stuff.

What is the meaning of "tweaking the screensavers"?? How could I perform the tweak?

I placed a file 'random' and 'reboot' to the linkss folder. It does not reboot when I eject the device. Any possible errors?
Raye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:11 PM   #219
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@Raye: Besides checking the update process status, by not doing anything after the install until you've confirmed that it indeed works. (ie. you see the default *custom* screensaver when going to sleep). Don't start messing with the settings/screensavers folder until later.

Meaning:

* Uninstall
* Remove the linkss folder
* Install
* Do nothing, and check that it's working
Old 12-10-2012, 10:18 AM   #220
MrFritz
MrFritz has become one with the cosmosMrFritz has become one with the cosmosMrFritz has become one with the cosmosMrFritz has become one with the cosmosMrFritz has become one with the cosmosMrFritz has become one with the cosmosMrFritz has become one with the cosmosMrFritz has become one with the cosmosMrFritz has become one with the cosmosMrFritz has become one with the cosmosMrFritz has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle PaperWhite
Question about a ScreenSaver Feature

When I first got my Kindle Paperwhite 5.3.0 with ads, if left idle the screensaver would appear with a "swipe" message overlay. If you touched the screen, the illumination would turn on and if you swipped it, the Kindle would wake up.

Subsequently, I have paid Amazon to remove the ads and I installed the current JB, kindle-python-0.2.N and kindle-linkss-0.6.N hacks. Everything is working fine (kudos to all) but I no longer have the aforementioned "feature." Is there a way to re-enable it? I hate having to push that tiny off/on button with my fat fingers.

Fred
MrFritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:32 AM   #221
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFritz View Post
When I first got my Kindle Paperwhite 5.3.0 with ads, if left idle the screensaver would appear with a "swipe" message overlay. If you touched the screen, the illumination would turn on and if you swipped it, the Kindle would wake up.

Subsequently, I have paid Amazon to remove the ads and I installed the current JB, kindle-python-0.2.N and kindle-linkss-0.6.N hacks. Everything is working fine (kudos to all) but I no longer have the aforementioned "feature." Is there a way to re-enable it? I hate having to push that tiny off/on button with my fat fingers.

Fred
Use a small magnet on the lower right corner (as if you had a cover with a magnet in it).
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:51 AM   #222
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@MrFritz: Besides using the hall sensor (basically swipe a small magnet near the bottom right of the PW), not that I know of (easily), no .

EDIT: Hah. knc1 was faster .
Old 12-10-2012, 10:59 AM   #223
MrFritz
MrFritz has become one with the cosmosMrFritz has become one with the cosmosMrFritz has become one with the cosmosMrFritz has become one with the cosmosMrFritz has become one with the cosmosMrFritz has become one with the cosmosMrFritz has become one with the cosmosMrFritz has become one with the cosmosMrFritz has become one with the cosmosMrFritz has become one with the cosmosMrFritz has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle PaperWhite
[QUOTE=NiLuJe;2336482]@MrFritz: Besides using the hall sensor (basically swipe a small magnet near the bottom right of the PW), not that I know of (easily), no .

Thanks NiLuJe. I appreciated the prompt reply.

Fred
MrFritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:39 PM   #224
Raye
Raye will become famous soon enoughRaye will become famous soon enoughRaye will become famous soon enoughRaye will become famous soon enoughRaye will become famous soon enoughRaye will become famous soon enoughRaye will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@Raye: Besides checking the update process status, by not doing anything after the install until you've confirmed that it indeed works. (ie. you see the default *custom* screensaver when going to sleep). Don't start messing with the settings/screensavers folder until later.

Meaning:

* Uninstall
* Remove the linkss folder
* Install
* Do nothing, and check that it's working
Thanks for your kindly reply. I tried to re-install the screensaver after successfully re-install the latest jailbreak. I followed your steps and it dosen't works. I can see there is a message "S checking screensavers..." at the bottom of the screen in the first reboot.

Here is my steps:
install jailbreak, a success message came out
uninstall linkss, device reboot
remove the linkss/
install linkss, device reboot and show a message in the first reboot
Pray
switch off the screen to see the hacked screensaver (but I can't )
reboot it once more
Pray again
switch off the screen to see the hacked screensaver (but I can't )

Anyway. thank for you effort and I think may be I got something wrong.
Raye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:33 AM   #225
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@Raye: You wouldn't happen to be using a SO/Waterstones device, would you?

Tags
kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, python, screensavers, touch