Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-03-2017, 12:45 PM   #16
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Moderator Notice

Please take a few moments to read our Posting Guidelines, in particular the part about the maximum image size allowed (600x600 pixels). Images that violate those guidelines may be deleted.

It is every member's responsibility to read our Posting Guidelines and follow them.

Thanks.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 01:21 PM   #17
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
as far as using a rubber band type, i would use these:
https://www.amazon.com/Wrapping-Exer...=big+ass+bands
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 02:46 PM   #18
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermighty View Post
I put a piece of gaffer's tape on the back of my phone. It is a cloth tape with removable sticky-ness. It gives it a nice grip. I would do the same for the Oasis 2.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaffer_tape
Had the opportunity to get some gaffer tape, (which I’d never heard of) so I put some on the back of my Oasis. Nice tip! It adds just enough friction to give me a good hold, and will work well until my Skinomi arrives.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 11:22 PM   #19
Ocicat
Groupie
Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Librie,PRS900,950,K4, KT, PW1&2, KV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
Had the opportunity to get some gaffer tape, (which I’d never heard of) so I put some on the back of my Oasis. Nice tip! It adds just enough friction to give me a good hold, and will work well until my Skinomi arrives.
Please tell me where you bought it, will get some this weekend.
Ocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 08:46 AM   #20
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
There is something offensive about an elegant device that needs a crude modification to be used. The Oasis is a lovely little thing and how tacky is it to have to stick a strip of gaffer's tape on it or glue a plastic ring to the metal back.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 09:08 AM   #21
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocicat View Post
Please tell me where you bought it, will get some this weekend.
I didn’t buy it...I found some in the video room at the church I attend.

Amazon sells gaffer tape, I found a small roll for about $6. The big box stores all carry it also.
Old 11-04-2017, 09:35 AM   #22
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I didn’t buy it...I found some in the video room at the church I attend.

Amazon sells gaffer tape, I found a small roll for about $6. The big box stores all carry it also.
I don't know if the name is used for a different product in the US, but in the UK, gaffer tape refers to very thick and immensely strong fabric tape that has an enormously powerful adhesive on it. Put it on your Kindle, and I doubt you'd ever get it off again!

This is what's called gaffer tape in the UK:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pro-Tapes-G...dp/B00FMJDZJM/

Would it be a similar product in the US?

Last edited by HarryT; 11-04-2017 at 09:39 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 09:36 AM   #23
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
There is something offensive about an elegant device that needs a crude modification to be used. The Oasis is a lovely little thing and how tacky is it to have to stick a strip of gaffer's tape on it or glue a plastic ring to the metal back.
I don't think personally that it does need it. I find the device very comfortable to hold without anything being added. As always, these things come down to personal preference!
Old 11-04-2017, 10:02 AM   #24
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
I just put the corner squarely in my palm with my little finger under the bottom, my thumb over the button and the rest of my fingers spread out behind it holding the grip.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 10:13 AM   #25
Deskisamess
Wizard

Here is a US listing for gaffer tape:

https://www.amazon.com/Premium-Gaffe...fer+tape&psc=1

The stuff I found sticks very well, is cloth tape that can be torn by hand. The adhesive is very strong, but can easily be removed.

Once I have a skin or cover for the Oasis I’ll remove the tape, but for now it helps me keep a good grip. I’ve lost some strength in my hands, and many devices are on the slick side. Having to grip too hard to hold on to things also triggers pain in my fingers, so some added texture or grip is a good thing.

The tape is inelegant for sure. But it’s better than dropping the Oasis and I can’t see it when I’m reading.
Old 11-04-2017, 10:26 AM   #26
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Here is a US listing for gaffer tape:

https://www.amazon.com/Premium-Gaffe...fer+tape&psc=1

The stuff I found sticks very well, is cloth tape that can be torn by hand. The adhesive is very strong, but can easily be removed.
Yes, looks like the same stuff. I'd be wary of using it myself, because of the difficulty of removing it.
Old 11-04-2017, 11:53 AM   #27
ElspethB
Passionate Reader
ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S3, Kobo Clara HD, Fire HD 8, Voyage, Oasis 3, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I don't know if the name is used for a different product in the US, but in the UK, gaffer tape refers to very thick and immensely strong fabric tape that has an enormously powerful adhesive on it. Put it on your Kindle, and I doubt you'd ever get it off again!
In the US, gaffer's tape is specifically designed to be easily removable. We use it in theatre to "spike" the stage (i.e., mark placement for set pieces or actors' marks) because it won't damage the stage floor. So gaffer's tape should not damage the KO2 in any way.

Here's a breakdown of the difference between duct tape and gaffer's tape.
ElspethB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 03:21 PM   #28
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Yes, looks like the same stuff. I'd be wary of using it myself, because of the difficulty of removing it.
HarryT,
What you linked and what Deskisamess linked are nowhere close to the same thing. You linked what is sold here as duct tape. Duct tape or now duck tape is used when you want it there forever. Yes, the residue is a pain in the arse to remove. Gaffer's tape uses a different adhesive. Looks similar acts different.
Don't you just love American products?
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 05:25 PM   #29
Deskisamess
Wizard

Duct tape can ripe the paint off of walls, the coating off of sheet rock, etc. It’s meant for use on ductwork, and other needs where you require long lasting hold not affected by heat or cold fluctuations.

Duck is a brand name, Duck Brand Duct Tape. You can get many varieties of duct tape, and many colors now also. It’s used for crafts, decor, you name it. I’ve seen purses made out of it at craft shows.
Old 11-04-2017, 05:38 PM   #30
mystika1
Addict
mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Air 2, , Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura H2Ov1, Kobo Mini
I made a strap for my voyage out of a hair ponytail band and two cheap picture hanging brackets. Less than $1. Just hooked the two brackets onto the ponytail band and hooked it on my voyage.(you can put something soft between the bracket and the ereader) I have a supcase(gel like skin)on the voyage and was able to hook it. The pictures show it better than I can explain it, but it may help you guys who are waiting on your covers to arrive.

HTH,

Penny
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FC5AEDDE-5E53-4EF6-9C16-FC38C20FFBB9.jpeg
Views:	219
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	159817   Click image for larger version

Name:	5F950AD4-4D4F-44E5-8073-44839ED4449E.jpeg
Views:	237
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	159818