randich
randich began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Question Isolated unjustified lines in hardware readers

Hi,

Anobody experiencing this? Note the single unjustified line

https://goo.gl/photos/ZJsAoXzC3N3J656LA

https://goo.gl/photos/Jh5LpviusotLUJcQ9

Same book, ET enabled. First link is Kindle Voyage 5.6.5; second link is iOS kindle app, works well.

I posted this issue in Amazon Kindle Forums, but got mixed responses:

http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle/r...x24UYXFXKJWTYQ

Any ideas?

Thanks!
randich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 10:56 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by randich View Post
Hi,

Anobody experiencing this? Note the single unjustified line

https://goo.gl/photos/ZJsAoXzC3N3J656LA

https://goo.gl/photos/Jh5LpviusotLUJcQ9

Same book, ET enabled. First link is Kindle Voyage 5.6.5; second link is iOS kindle app, works well.

I posted this issue in Amazon Kindle Forums, but got mixed responses:

http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle/r...x24UYXFXKJWTYQ

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Because there is no hyphenation, when the Kindle finds a word that doesn't fit on a line like that, it drops that word to the next line.

The solution to this is to use the Hyphenate This! plugin in Calibre to add in hyphens. It will help with those wide gaps you have. But if that eBook is from Amazon with DRM, you will have to remove the DRM. Here is where you can get a plugin for Calibre to help you remove the DRM. https://apprenticealf.wordpress.com/

Last edited by JSWolf; 09-14-2015 at 10:59 AM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2015, 10:56 AM   #3
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: OAsis 2, iPhone 7+, IPad Air 2, MacBook Air
I see that also. It seems to be due to the fact that kindle ebooks from amazon are always fully justified. I sometimes take the same book into calibre and do a convert on it without left justification, which is the way I like my books, and I do not have that issue.
For me I just enjoy reading on my voyage and I do not let it bother me.
cvkemp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 10:57 AM   #4
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: OAsis 2, iPhone 7+, IPad Air 2, MacBook Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Because there is no hyphenation, when the Kindle finds a word that doesn't fit on a line like that, it drops that word to the next line.

The solution to this is to use the Hyphenate This! plugin in Calibre to add in hyphens. It will help with those wide gaps you have.
I have used this and it does a great job.
cvkemp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 11:00 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvkemp View Post
I have used this and it does a great job.
Yes, it does work very well on a Kindle.
Advert
Old 09-14-2015, 11:24 AM   #6
randich

Quote:

The solution to this is to use the Hyphenate This! plugin in Calibre to add in hyphens. It will help with those wide gaps you have. But if that eBook is from Amazon with DRM, you will have to remove the DRM. Here is where you can get a plugin for Calibre to help you remove the DRM. https://apprenticealf.wordpress.com/
Sorry for my ignorance, but, in the iOS screen capture I dont' see hyphenation in action. My concern was about why, with supposedly the same "enhanced" layout engine, each device results in a different text flow.

Note that I'm not complaining about awkward spacing in the middle of a sentence. I'm complaining about spacing at the end of the line, which breaks right-justification.

I'm a bit disappointed with this, because I usually read the same book in my iPhone/iPad, where there are no justification-less lines, and when I switch to my Kindle Voyage, I see them.

If you read my original Amazon post, you can see that there seems to be little concern about the different behaviour of the engine between software an hardware version of Kindle. But I'd like to avoid conversions, and also understand if this is a bug which will be corrected some day, or if it is the correct behaviour of the engine when used in hardware "5.6.5" readers.

Thanks!
Old 09-14-2015, 11:42 AM   #7
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Hi.
Check your font settings.
Note, it might also be that particular book. Does it happen on all books or is this the first one?
My solution is much simpler.
Adjust all the settings. Oh and with reflowable text, you will sometimes get short lines if a word won't fit.

Make sure your margins are justified the way you want them.
I noticed this wasn't a set font book.
Also if you right margin justify, you will get strange spacing.
Most books and papers are left margin justified.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 11:53 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Hi.
Check your font settings.
Note, it might also be that particular book. Does it happen on all books or is this the first one?
It's always been the case with the Kindle that, if fully justifying a line would result in very large gaps between the words on that line, that particular line is displayed left- rather than fully-justified. I'm pretty sure that this behaviour goes right back to the days of the Kindle 1.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 12:14 PM   #9
randich

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's always been the case with the Kindle that, if fully justifying a line would result in very large gaps between the words on that line, that particular line is displayed left- rather than fully-justified. I'm pretty sure that this behaviour goes right back to the days of the Kindle 1.
I understand. Perhaps I am asking for an impossible, which is that the hardware Kindle work the same way as the software version of Kindle, which doesn't behaves like that. I was hoping that the latest firmware upgrade would make both versions work the same way.

Please note that, contrary to the behaviour you described, and even using a grotesquely large font, Kindle for iOS, if there are at least two words in a line, will always right-justify:

https://goo.gl/photos/8A7qyw7fQ7PatSEx9

We can call the software Kindle's behaviour a bug, or we can call the hardware version's behaviour a bug. Or we can say simply that they behave different because internally they use different layout engines.

My point is that Amazon publicized the new layout engine as a cross-device uniform improvement, which seems not to be the case, at least in this little issue.

Thanks for you feedback.
Old 09-14-2015, 12:16 PM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by randich View Post
We can call the software Kindle's behaviour a bug, or we can call the hardware version's behaviour a bug. Or we can say simply that they behave different because internally they use different layout engines.
"Just different", I think. As I say, this isn't new behaviour.
Old 09-14-2015, 12:23 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

You cannot compare the Kindle's screen with the iOS screen. Two different sizes and thus, the words at the same size will not fit the same.
Old 09-14-2015, 12:25 PM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
You cannot compare the Kindle's screen with the iOS screen. Two different sizes and thus, the words at the same size will not fit the same.
True, but if you look at the image link randich posted in post #9 above, you can see that the iOS app plainly does not exhibit the hardware Kindle's behaviour of avoiding large gaps between words. They clearly have different rendering engines.
Old 09-14-2015, 12:28 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
True, but if you look at the image link randich posted in post #9 above, you can see that the iOS app plainly does not exhibit the hardware Kindle's behaviour of avoiding large gaps between words. They clearly have different rendering engines.
The large gaps/avoiding gaps is why I recommended the Hyphenate This! plugin for Calibre.
Old 09-14-2015, 12:31 PM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
The large gaps/avoiding gaps is why I recommended the Hyphenate This! plugin for Calibre.
Yes, I know .
Old 09-14-2015, 12:44 PM   #15
randich

Quote:
Exactly. Here is another example:

iOS https://goo.gl/photos/dL5dUGq9T4RdHNvX7
Voyage https://goo.gl/photos/FTgXsPrVCYwJcP4b6

Personally, I prefer iOS layout.

I'd very happy if someone knows a way of avoiding the hardware version's behaviour without spending time in Calibre. I've tried all fonts and sizes, and the number of left-aligned lines increase with larger fonts. But they don't disappear absolutely with small fonts.