Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > HanLin eBook

Notices

Old 09-11-2007, 03:08 AM   #61
zdevil
Enthusiast
zdevil began at the beginning.

Device: Sharp Zaurus SL-C3200, Hanlin V3
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjell_strom View Post
One last thing - I'm really still torn between the v3 and the Sony: zdevil, if you had to buy again, which would you go for?
fjell
I think I'd still choose v3, because of its faster refreshing rate, more user-friendly interface (even with some hacks), the newer Vizplex, and more format support. Then again, I am no friend of DRM or other proprietary formats because I had bad experience with them.
And I am really looking forward to its Linux SDK, as Jinke promises at its website.
I have already taken some shots. Will post them soon.
zdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 06:29 AM   #62
LVD
Connoisseur
LVD has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.LVD has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.LVD has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

For anything to wait it is not necessary
SDK for a long time already in an easy approach.
www.lbook.org

The given device has the low price (220 Euro) and will not be popular in the market of Europe.

LBook V3 has powerful system of protection DRM on the basis of the symmetric key RC-5 which has been written down on a SIM-card.

Now there is a menu support in 16 languages.

In October 2007 there will be a model with touch screen WaCom and WiFi, and in December there will be one more model in which module WiFi will be replaced with module GSM/GPRS. These models will have very high retail price, approximately, 240 Euro and 260 Euro is possible, these more expensive devices will involve the European buyer.
LVD is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2007, 06:44 AM   #63
zdevil
Enthusiast
zdevil began at the beginning.

Device: Sharp Zaurus SL-C3200, Hanlin V3
Thanks for the pointer, LVD.
Does the SDK also work for Jinke's devices?
The content is all in Russian. Would there be any English version/translation?
zdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 09:25 AM   #64
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
@LVD

It's nice to hear that there will be more ereaders out there soon, but I realy don't see where all this "the cheap models are not for europe" stuff comes from

I for one would be happy with a device like the STAReBOOK that can display various formats and display text in a pleasing fashion. That's all I really need.

If somebody wants to edit documents, surf the interent or read academic documents with lots of pictures and stuff, then they'll need a different kind of device...but that'll be the same in any region, not only europe.

For those of us who (like me) just want to read fiction, all that counts is format support, proper text formatting (the weak point of the STAReBOOK) and a long long battery life.
According to what we know, the lbook V3 can do all these things (although I have not seen how it handles english and german text), so why should it not be sold here?

Also, any device that is sold from outisde the EU into the EU gets loaded with a quite considerable amount of additional cost, VAT and customs...that'll add a good 20% to the price of the device and of course shipping also has to be taken into consideration.
Maybe somebody (like tribble who now sells the Iliad in Germany if I'm not mistaken) would open a "local" distribution centre here in germany to reduce those costs for the customers.

Whatever happens on that front, I really don't see why we should not get "Pure Fiction" ereaders like the Sony Reader, lbook V8 and V3 and similar devices here.

Can you explain why you think selling these devices in Eruope would be such a problem???
Thanks.
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 10:28 AM   #65
LVD
Connoisseur
LVD has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.LVD has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.LVD has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I offered many European firms lBook V3 at the price of 195-210 euros on the terms of FOB Holland. But to me refused. I have received recently the offer on CyBook in Europe:

Cybook: (FOB in Euro)
-> 100 - 270
-> 500 - 260
-> 1000 - 250
-> 5000 - 240

And I have understood, that my offers have been rejected because of the low price.

At lBook V3 there are no problems with reading and formatting. If there will be we them will correct. Is opened SDK, there are good programmers. All OK. The device has the European certificate of quality and 24 months of a guarantee.
LVD is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2007, 11:53 PM   #66
fjell_strom
Enthusiast
fjell_strom has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: HanLin V3 with Vizplex? Hmmmmmm...
ATTENTION ANYONE ORDERING A V3 FROM JINKE:

The V3 on the following page (this is jinke's homepage) does NOT employ the new Vizplex technology. It sells, as listed, for 329 dollars: http://www.jinke.com.cn/Compagesql/E...tail.asp?id=41

However, Jinke does sell V3s with Vizplex. They simply don't advertise them online yet (I'd say they want to try and sell off all the old non-Vizplex stock as fast as they can). But, although they aren't listed online, you can specially request one of the Vizplex models and pay 349 instead of 329 dollars. This is what I am doing. I'll let you know how it unfolds.

fjell

Last edited by fjell_strom; 09-12-2007 at 11:42 AM.
fjell_strom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 09:17 AM   #67
fjell_strom
Enthusiast

Wow, listen to my impressive experience with Jinke (transcripts from a few emails):

>> >Hi Mei Yan (the Jinke contact with whom I've been dealing),
>> >
>> >Can you tell me whether the hanlin V3s you are
>> selling
>> >are equiped with Vizplex technology? Thanks.
>> >
>> >fjell (me)

>> Dear fjell,
>> Thank you for your mail.
>>
>> Currently we have two types of V3, one is with the
>> Vizplex display, the other is with the normal
>> display.
>> The V3 with Vizplex display is $349; the one with
>> normal display is $329.
>>
>> Best Regards,
>> Mei Yan

>Hi there, Mei Yan,
>
>I didn't know you offered V3's both WITH and WITHOUT
>Vizplex when I ordered mine from you on Monday. I
>have already transferred 329 dollars to your bank.
>Can I transfer an additional 20 dollars to you
>tomorrow so that I might receive a V3 with Vizplex (If
>you haven't already sent the other)?
>
>fjell

Dear fjell,
Never mind, you don't need to send us the additional 20 dollars to us.
Because to only wire the 20 dollars will cost you much in charges.

We will send the product with vizplex display after we receive your
previous payment.

Best regards,
Mei Yan

How cool is THAT? I sent them an enormous thank you. Mad props to Jinke.

fjell
Old 09-12-2007, 12:11 PM   #68
hamh
Connoisseur
hamh began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 3G / Milestone / 505 / iPad 3G
nice deal :-)

but how can you tell if the one ships to you is a Vizplex unit?
hamh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 12:24 PM   #69
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What DRM format(s) does the V3 support? Can I go to Fictionwise and purchase a book with DRM and read it on the V3?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 12:58 PM   #70
fjell_strom
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What DRM format(s) does the V3 support? Can I go to Fictionwise and purchase a book with DRM and read it on the V3?
Perhaps someone else can already answer this question for you. I won't be able to say until I get my own and start knocking around with it.
Old 09-12-2007, 01:00 PM   #71
fjell_strom
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamh View Post
nice deal :-)

but how can you tell if the one ships to you is a Vizplex unit?
I don't know. I guess one could expect it to be indicated in several places, perhaps on the box, in the manual, maybe even on the unit itself.
Old 09-12-2007, 02:39 PM   #72
|2eason
Connoisseur
|2eason is on a distinguished road

Device: Tatung Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjell_strom View Post
I don't know. I guess one could expect it to be indicated in several places, perhaps on the box, in the manual, maybe even on the unit itself.
Or you could just download the video of the, as yet unreleased, Cybook. Just play the video on a PC whilst flipping pages on your V3 and see how it compares. They have the same CPU and I doubt there would be much difference in OS, so it should be a fair fight.

Last edited by |2eason; 09-12-2007 at 02:45 PM.
|2eason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 10:48 AM   #73
hamh
Connoisseur
hamh began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 3G / Milestone / 505 / iPad 3G
This unit really looks good, but the shipping cost almost make the price goes up to $400.

Wondering if anyone wanna do group buy in Chicago...
hamh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 08:36 PM   #74
THJahar
Zealot
THJahar is on a distinguished road

Device: Jinke V2 Prototype
Well, I will be getting a V3 from LVD, but i'm going to wait till the Wacom version comes out
THJahar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 10:29 PM   #75
fjell_strom
Enthusiast

Man, sure wish someone was supplying these inside the EU. Sales tax here in Germany is going to be an extra 45 Euros on top of 310 already (product, bank transfer fee, and shipping) for a whopping 355 Euro total. That's 492 US dollars!