Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 02-27-2017, 11:30 PM   #1
jcbsews
jcbsews began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPhone/iPad
Question CC for iOS - iCloud?

I was hoping that by putting my Calibre libraries in iCloud, I would be able to view the library with CC and pick a book I wanted to read directly from iCloud (rather than downloading the whole library to my iPad mini).

I found (buried in the FAQs) that iCloud is supposed to be supported on CC, but when I open it I only see Dropbox or OneDrive as cloud server options.

Perhaps it's simpler than I'm trying to make it, but how do I access files on my iCloud drive in CC for iOS?
jcbsews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 03:43 AM   #2
Steve_Haley
CC iOS Developer
Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.

Device: Variety phones/tablets
Hi, sorry for the delay replying. Unfortunately I don't have a definite answer for you. The guy who made the iCloud part of CC isn't involved with the app anymore and I (the only remaining dev) am not quite sure how it works. I think the idea is that you can 'export' books from iCloud, and CC is configured to be able to receive those books. I've never used iCloud though so I'm not sure on the details of how this would be done. If this doesn't work for you, I'll amend the FAQ to remove mention of iCloud.
Steve_Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 05:02 PM   #3
jcbsews
jcbsews began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPhone/iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_Haley View Post
I think the idea is that you can 'export' books from iCloud, and CC is configured to be able to receive those books.
Well, then no. iCloud is just a cloud based drive (exactly the same as Dropbox, or Box, or Google Drive), it's not, to the best of my understanding, something you can "export" from. So if it doesn't appear in CCs drive list list along with Dropbox etc., it isn't accessible. That said, there's no reason why it couldn't be - just because it's an Apple product shouldn't make it any more difficult than Dropbox to implement a connection?

If anyone has gotten it to work, could you let us *both* know how?
jcbsews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 02:51 PM   #4
Steve_Haley
CC iOS Developer
Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.

Device: Variety phones/tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbsews View Post
Well, then no. iCloud is just a cloud based drive (exactly the same as Dropbox, or Box, or Google Drive), it's not, to the best of my understanding, something you can "export" from.
Are you sure? It's possible to launch the Dropbox or Google Drive apps on your phone and export a file from those. I never enabled iCloud on my test phone so I could be wrong here, but I assume that the same kind of function exists. If the option isn't called exporting, it might be under 'share' instead. Remember this would be in the iCloud Drive app, not in CC directly.
Steve_Haley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre companion, icloud, ios