Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 11-18-2016, 01:20 PM   #1
anordwell
anordwell began at the beginning.

Device: Fire 7" 5th Gen
[Android] Bug: Calibre Companion-Cannot Write File

I cannot get my eBook mobi files to download from Calibre to Calibre Companion . This is a new issue after long use of both programs, and I am unable to pinpoint the cause, though I did find a 'fix'.

Devices:
Windows 10 with Calibre version 2.72
Amazon Fire, 7" 5th Gen with Calibre Companion 5.2.1.7(349)

Issue:
1) Attempt to copy eBook files to CC via Wireless device connection. Syncs with Calibre, etc... but when I attempt to 'send file to device' CC drops the connection and says, 'Cannot write file'.

2) Attempt to copy eBook files to CC via Content Server. New books in Calibre appear in Content server but 'cannot be saved to device memory'. *All eBook file formats are directed to save to SD card, not device memory*

Attempted Fixes (downloads attempted with both connections after each):
1) Send both single and multiple files via both methods
2) Hard restart on Fire
3) Clear cache and force stop on CC
4) Update laptop Calibre to newest version
5) Remove/replace SD card/hard restart on Fire with apps 'optimized'
6) Reset the mobi file storage folder (to same folder as previously stored)

Results:
No change to the error results until Fix #6. Once I reset the mobi file storage folder (again, to the same folder path it previously stored files on the SD card) then I was able to download the mobi files through the Wireless Connection and Content Server options without any connection issues.

It's a weird bug. I hope I've provided you with enough information to figure it out and prevent it from happening again.
anordwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 02:38 PM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
CC uses android's Storage Access Framework (SAF) to write the SD card because this is what Android > Kitkat requires. The SAF requires that an app (CC) ask for a long-lasting "permission" to read or write a folder. Unfortunately, from time to time Android forgets about these permissions, meaning CC can no longer write the folder. The usual causes are OS upgrades and device resets, but I am sure that there are random cases where is just happens.

When a user resets a folder to the same folder, CC asked again for permissions on that folder. The fact that this process fixed the problem for you indicates that the original permissions had been lost. Our apologies, but I can't find any way to avoid this happening. Fortunately it is rare, but that doesn't help when it happens to you.

Did the Fire have an OS upgrade?
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 05:49 PM   #3
fanficdude1
fanficdude1 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
CC uses android's Storage Access Framework (SAF) to write the SD card because this is what Android > Kitkat requires. The SAF requires that an app (CC) ask for a long-lasting "permission" to read or write a folder. Unfortunately, from time to time Android forgets about these permissions, meaning CC can no longer write the folder. The usual causes are OS upgrades and device resets, but I am sure that there are random cases where is just happens.

When a user resets a folder to the same folder, CC asked again for permissions on that folder. The fact that this process fixed the problem for you indicates that the original permissions had been lost. Our apologies, but I can't find any way to avoid this happening. Fortunately it is rare, but that doesn't help when it happens to you.

Did the Fire have an OS upgrade?

I'm having the same problem as of a few hours ago on my sghi337 galaxy s4. are there any fixes?
fanficdude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 05:53 PM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by fanficdude1 View Post
I'm having the same problem as of a few hours ago on my sghi337 galaxy s4. are there any fixes?
I know of no CC fix for this other than what the OP did because the problem is in Android permissions. See our FAQ [Android] CC suddenly says it cannot write books to my SD card. What do I do? for more information.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, calibre companion, cannot save file, fire