Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 02-12-2011, 02:50 AM   #1
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
toc puzzle - missing on 1st view - OK later ?

I have had this issue a few times - have not completely diagnosed it yet, but it seems to go like this.

1.add a source to calibre & convert it ti epub with heuristics & structure detection active

2. view epub with calibre viewer -( click "view" on main toolbar ) - see no TOC ( just a single "start" in TOC )

3. think - this is strange - so open epub in sigil to check - note that each chapter does have a h2 tag!

4. try again with calibre viewer ( maybe after doing a save with sigil) - see that TOC is now complete & working.

to do more testing would require more unconverted books which I do not have to hand
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 03:01 AM   #2
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
It means that either heuristics worked, or the document already had hx tags, but you didn't set structure detection correctly.

Sigil always throws out the existing TOC and builds it's own based off of the hx tags, so it gets created then, and when you save it the epub is 'fixed' from your perspective.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2011, 12:42 PM   #3
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
that "almost" convinces me, except that one time I'm sure I did only this (v7.44)
1. run the conversion.
2 click view in main toolbar ( to bring up the epub in calibre viewer ) - saw no TOC entires
3. clicked EPUB in book detail window instead. ( brings up same viewer) - & on this 2nd try I did see the TOC

so I'm just wondering if there's an obscure bug, still, or if its user error.

I thought that heuristics + structure detect, working together(with default settings) to create an epub conversion, would split most books into chapters AND insert h tags AND would build a new TOC.
Is is that they only do 2 out of 3 & thus I still need sigil for the final; step
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote