Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-10-2020, 09:35 PM   #61
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I'm finding it harder to separate the author from their works as time goes on.

I don't see that I should spend money on someone I'd despise when there are so many alternatives.

Of course, the fact that there seem to be so many people who do and say things that I have never even dreamed of doing or saying is sad and, to me, surprising.

But then, I'm a white, cis, straight, middle class, well-off married man. I essentially never have people behaving badly towards me.
Given that I rarely pay attention to an author's personal life, that's not a problem for me. I read the book and if I enjoy it, I enjoy it. I suspect that quite a few authors that some here read might not stand up to extensive scrutiny. Who was it that said, you show me the man and I'll find the crime?
Old 07-10-2020, 09:51 PM   #62
Thasaidon
Hedge Wizard
Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Simple
I am still waiting for someone to give me a serious example of racism in Rider Haggard.
Advert
Old 07-10-2020, 09:57 PM   #63
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Names. Authors, book titles and publishers, please. Whose art is the literary world being deprived of in this day and age of anybody-can-write/sell-a-book?
There are examples if you google this, especially in YA or are around on Twitter news at all. Several authors withdraw their own books due to harassment and targeted campaigns instead of publisher cancellation due to online pressure/bullying. It varies case by case, even with death threats and boycotts.

Just a few articles mentioning a few books/authors. Several of these articles mention more than one book or author example.
Old 07-10-2020, 09:58 PM   #64
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbneader View Post
Same. People who complain about 'cancel culture' are just using it to push their views on others. You can see it happening in this very thread.
Or some people just find most of it ridiculous.
Old 07-11-2020, 08:35 AM   #65
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
The topic of what some call "cancel cuture" is really about power. There are people who are accustomed to being in a position of power, and there are those who seek to be heard by those people used to having power. The point most often missed by those complaining about what they and theirs choose to call cancel culture is that nothing ever really gets cancelled by it. As in the example of the Woody Allen memoir: Allen is still in a position of power (deservedly or not), and he still found an outlet for his story.

Toppling a statue has never ripped a single page out of a history book (nor will it stop a parent from indoctrinating their children RE the notion of a "War of Northern Aggression" if they're so inclined). No powerful person boycotted has been successfully silenced.

There's no cancellation. A little power might be stripped from those who have it to spare, and some voices that would traditionally not be heard at all will get a little airtime for a change. The only real "danger" of your so-called dangerous, creeping "cancel culture" is that those who are not used to being challenged, may have to get a little used to it.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 07-11-2020 at 09:06 AM.
Advert
Old 07-11-2020, 08:35 AM   #66
najgori
Klak
najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: many
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
OTOH, do you feel comfortable posting the image of a page and reading books by an author accused by her children and others of child sexual abuse and rape? Who knew of and did not report her husband's sexual abuse of children?
I never use any of Eric Gill fonts in my work and I really hate that Gill Sans is on Kobo.
Old 07-11-2020, 02:01 PM   #67
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
Jon, it's implied in his statement. No one is going to make a reasonable argument for the government to not litigate against child abusers using that quote.
There are those that would take that statement at face value and and go with it as is without consenting. So it is important to add that word in so it's not taken out of context.
Old 07-11-2020, 02:47 PM   #68
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
There are those that would take that statement at face value and and go with it as is without consenting. So it is important to add that word in so it's not taken out of context.
What about consenting adults in the living room. Or in a tent. Or in a cave. Or in a basement? Or a kitchen?

Do hotel rooms count?

What if on the floor plan it’s called a living room but the occupants use it as a bedroom? What if on the floor plan it’s a bedroom but the occupants use it as a living room.

Stop being daft Jon. As I said no one can make a reasonable argument using that quote for anything other than consenting adults. Yes there are people who can make an argument using it for non consenting adults but the argument wouldn’t stand up to even mild probing.
Old 07-11-2020, 03:08 PM   #69
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
What about consenting adults in the living room. Or in a tent. Or in a cave. Or in a basement? Or a kitchen?

Do hotel rooms count?

What if on the floor plan it’s called a living room but the occupants use it as a bedroom? What if on the floor plan it’s a bedroom but the occupants use it as a living room.

Stop being daft Jon. As I said no one can make a reasonable argument using that quote for anything other than consenting adults. Yes there are people who can make an argument using it for non consenting adults but the argument wouldn’t stand up to even mild probing.
Daft is as daft does, and playing gotcha about something so trivial qualifies as daft in my book.
Old 07-11-2020, 03:59 PM   #70
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
There's no cancellation.
Like ^&**^ there is't. Yeah, the Woody Allens and J.K. Rowlings of this world can pretty much ignore it, sure. But I suggest you read (and follow the links in) Paperbackstash's post.

Cancel culture is real. Even if the biggest fish aren't hurt by it, smaller fry most certainly are.
Old 07-11-2020, 04:32 PM   #71
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Daft is as daft does, and playing gotcha about something so trivial qualifies as daft in my book.
I'll just sit and giggle that this chain of posts was brought about by Jon playing gotcha to a quote mentioned in another post.
Old 07-11-2020, 05:06 PM   #72
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'll just sit and giggle that this chain of posts was brought about by Jon playing gotcha to a quote mentioned in another post.
You know, you don’t have to pick up the bait. Once you do, you’re complicit - or equally daft, as I said. You could have taken the high road, but instead you chose to prolong an entirely futile back and forth. Who’s the bigger fool, the one who posted in earnest, or the one who takes pleasure in trying to trip him up? So enjoy your laugh, but it’s unearned.
Old 07-11-2020, 05:26 PM   #73
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What actually started this wanting to get authors terminated?
Old 07-11-2020, 05:29 PM   #74
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

I think what people are overlooking is that it’s not about the publishers reacting in high moral dudgeon after a Twitter campaign. It’s always just about the money.
Old 07-11-2020, 05:41 PM   #75
MGlitch
Wizard

Quote:
You know, you don’t have to pick up the bait. Once you do, you’re complicit - or equally daft, as I said. You could have taken the high road, but instead you chose to prolong an entirely futile back and forth. Who’s the bigger fool, the one who posted in earnest, or the one who takes pleasure in trying to trip him up? So enjoy your laugh, but it’s unearned.
I’d take this advice from someone who hadn’t said

Quote:
I’m invoking Godwin’s Law here. You lose.
To a comment which was perfectly within the bounds of problematic authors and their books.

But please do go on about taking pleasure in tripping up people who posted in earnest. Or shall I save you a seat in the daft posters room?
Closed Thread