Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-09-2013, 05:12 PM   #1
dclauzel
Enthusiast
dclauzel is a marvel to beholddclauzel is a marvel to beholddclauzel is a marvel to beholddclauzel is a marvel to beholddclauzel is a marvel to beholddclauzel is a marvel to beholddclauzel is a marvel to beholddclauzel is a marvel to beholddclauzel is a marvel to beholddclauzel is a marvel to beholddclauzel is a marvel to behold

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Question telnetd broken with firmware 2.10.0?

Following the documentation (1, 2) I tried to activate telnetd on my Aura HD.

Upgrading manually the firmware from 2.8.1 to 2.10.0 went smoothly (except that the cookies of web browser were discarded/broken, so I had to reconnect to Twitter, reddit, etc.).

Then I did inject the "run.sh" hack, dumped the conf files from the firmware to the user volume, modify them, and inject them back into the AuraHD's OS. OK, no problem.

But when I try to connect using ftp or telnet, I get the message "Connection refused".

nmap is reporting:
Code:
Not shown: 992 closed ports
PORT      STATE    SERVICE
24/tcp    filtered priv-mail
1296/tcp  filtered dproxy
1300/tcp  filtered h323hostcallsc
2030/tcp  filtered device2
9290/tcp  filtered unknown
14238/tcp filtered unknown
15000/tcp filtered hydap
58080/tcp filtered unknown
So indeed, it looks like neither ftpd or telnetd are listening (or simply running) on the e-reader. Anybody has it working?
dclauzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 07:07 PM   #2
xor_
Zealot
xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
This should still work to get dropbear ssh server up and running.

Last edited by xor_; 11-09-2013 at 07:14 PM. Reason: typo
xor_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2013, 07:44 PM   #3
KevinShort
Addict
KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi, Kobo Glo
Telnet is still working fine for me on 2.10. I've attached the KoboRoot.tgz file I've been using lately to enable telnet.
Attached Files
File Type: zip KoboTelnet.zip (655 Bytes, 3595 views)
KevinShort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 09:08 PM   #4
dclauzel
Enthusiast
dclauzel is a marvel to beholddclauzel is a marvel to beholddclauzel is a marvel to beholddclauzel is a marvel to beholddclauzel is a marvel to beholddclauzel is a marvel to beholddclauzel is a marvel to beholddclauzel is a marvel to beholddclauzel is a marvel to beholddclauzel is a marvel to beholddclauzel is a marvel to behold

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by xor_ View Post
This should still work to get dropbear ssh server up and running.
Thanks for your help, but sorry: there is no way that I run some binaries from an untrusted source. Specially when I see that there is a line added to /etc/passwd for a user "admin" with uid:gid 0:0, and a rcS which differ greatly from mine.

But if you could provided me your sources and compiling procedure, that would be a great help: ssh is indeed better than telnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinShort View Post
Telnet is still working fine for me on 2.10. I've attached the KoboRoot.tgz file I've been using lately to enable telnet.
Thank you, it is working perfectly! Exactly what I needed. You should add this to the wiki, for reference
dclauzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 06:50 AM   #5
Markismus
Guru
Markismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicing

Device: Cracked HiSenseA5ProCC, Cracked OnyxNotePro, Note5, Kobo Glo, Aura
Thanks KevinShort!
It also works for the Kobo Aura firmware 2.10

Update:
It also works for the Kobo Aura firmware 3.1.1

Update:
It also works for Kobo Glo on firmware 3.1.1

Update:
It also works for Kobo Touch.

Update:
It also works on Kobo Aura H2O firmware 3.11.0 (Gives a problem if you install Kobo Start Menu 6 first, though.)

Last edited by Markismus; 11-24-2014 at 02:11 PM. Reason: Update
Markismus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
ftp, hack, telnet