Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-02-2019, 11:23 AM   #16
Almamida
Guru
Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage - Kindle PW5 & Voyage - iPad Pro M1 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyWithNook View Post
I don't see the value in the screen being bigger than the page of a book.
The thing is books have multiple sizes. Which one?
Almamida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 09:07 PM   #17
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
VNC is not needed to run graphics apps over ssh on a server, headless or not.
Do you really use SSH with X11 forwarding? The times I've tried it have been a pain. Xrdp was simpler.

Last edited by DNSB; 03-02-2019 at 09:14 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2019, 09:14 PM   #18
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyWithNook View Post
I don't see the value in the screen being bigger than the page of a book.
Hmmm.... The National Geographic coffee table book I've currently browsing through? The almost full page photographs are truly an object of beauty but I don't think many tablets come with 2x3 21.2 inch diagonal screens (the pages are 30x45 cm).
Old 03-02-2019, 10:55 PM   #19
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sydmalicious View Post
Time for Amazon to Finally Release Another Large Kindle

I think so, too. While I love my Paperwhite, the large screen Kindles like the DX would really make reading on a Kindle a slight bit more tolerable. I miss the size of my iPad Pro but love that I can just throw my Paperwhite in my pocket and go. Conundrums...
They have a Kindle Fire now with a 10.1" screen I think. So they are making some bigger though I don't know how that compares to an Ipad.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 10:57 PM   #20
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
They have a Kindle Fire now with a 10.1" screen I think. So they are making some bigger though I don't know how that compares to an Ipad.
Tablet, not e-ink.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2019, 11:44 PM   #21
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Do you really use SSH with X11 forwarding? The times I've tried it have been a pain. Xrdp was simpler.
Multiple times per day for decades.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 07:20 AM   #22
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Multiple times per day for decades.
Same here, never had any issues.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 10:49 AM   #23
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
It seems to me that the use case of a large DX-sized screen is for pdf. Amazon's book business is with paperback-sized books. So it doesn't make business sense for them to make an A2-sized reader.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 10:49 AM   #24
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I would agree primarily because a lot of people use increasingly larger fonts as their eyesight worsens and larger screen makes more comfortable reading. I can tell you a 10.1 tablet is rather heavy to read from, so I can't imagine much bigger than the Oasis would be workable.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 11:18 AM   #25
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
I would agree primarily because a lot of people use increasingly larger fonts as their eyesight worsens and larger screen makes more comfortable reading. I can tell you a 10.1 tablet is rather heavy to read from, so I can't imagine much bigger than the Oasis would be workable.
The 13" Sony DPT-S1 e-ink PDF reader is quite light light and comfortable to hold, so it can be done.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 02:09 PM   #26
Jack Torrance
“Here’s Johnny
Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG - 9.7 iPad - iPhone 12PM - Macbook Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus83 View Post
I have a good (true) story on that front. My petite wife is always complaining about the size of her smartphone and how it hangs out of her pocket. Recently during a trip to the restroom, the phone popped out and....well you can guess where it landed. That's where you're glad for the IP68 rating.
It’s amazing how fast you will jam your hand into a loaded toilet when you drop $1000 into it. Like Neo avoiding bullets in the Matrix.
Jack Torrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 04:22 PM   #27
maximus83
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Torrance View Post
It’s amazing how fast you will jam your hand into a loaded toilet when you drop $1000 into it. Like Neo avoiding bullets in the Matrix.
Haha, does the 5 second rule work in this case?
Old 03-03-2019, 08:00 PM   #28
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus83 View Post
Haha, does the 5 second rule work in this case?
Reminds me of my house: If you have 2 seconds dogs, the 5 second rule for food does not apply.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 09:21 PM   #29
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almamida View Post
The thing is books have multiple sizes. Which one?
Until I started reading ebooks I always read paperbacks. A 6" ereader gives a page the size of a paperback, which to me is plenty large enough.

In my retirement home there are a number of people who have to read with larger fonts. I use either size 4 or 5 on my Kindle. Either one is fine for me. Some of my neighbors use up to size 8. I don't think any use larger fonts than that. These people range in age from about 62 to about 85. I'm 78. All of us have reduced vision but 6" ereaders are big enough.

I did have a neighbor who wanted a larger device and he ended up getting a Kobo HD. I think that's 6.8" if I remember right. He was happy with that but he'd been reading on a 6" Kindle for years. He wanted the larger one when he found out they exist.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 09:40 PM   #30
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Perhaps if the eBookReader has bothered to notice that while there are quite a few eInk ereaders with screens larger than 8", the sales of them would qualify as a rounding error in Amazon's Kindle sales, I would be more impressed by their reporting.

The only two people I know who purchased larger format eInk ereaders have continued to use a smaller device for most of their ereading. Such things as portability and front lights make them more usable as day to day ereaders compared to their Onyx Boox Note and Remarkable devices. Though both are happy with their larger device for the purposes they were purchased for, the number of people willing to spend the money to own both sizes of ereader is not going to a very large number (IMNSHO).

Yes, Amazon shows the Remarkable as #14 on their Best Sellers in eBook Readers list. OTOH, they show The Looming Tower: Al-Qaeda and the Road to 9/11 as #20 on bestselling ereaders. This doesn't give me much confidence in the usefulness of that page.