Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-30-2019, 07:51 PM   #1
Almamida
Guru
Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage - Kindle PW5 & Voyage - iPad Pro M1 12.9
Kindle Voyage > Kindle PaperWhite 4

Hi,

First I love my Kindle Voyage, its screen, its premium feeling, lightweight, portability, battery life, responsiveness, the official Origami magnetic cover that allows me to get it off very easily...

But, the 4GB stockage starts to be short as I'm reading a lot of mangas lately (I just discovered that they render very well after being converted via KCC) and having a cellular connection would be a plus (I've been stuck without being able to have access to wifi and wanting to download books)
A good bonus would also be the waterproof to read in the hot tub/bath.

I'm tempted to make the transition the next time the PaperWhite is discounted, but I'm afraid of downgrading on things I really like with my Voyage.

Did people replaced their voyage by the new PaperWhite? What's your feedback?
Almamida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 08:29 PM   #2
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I have a Voyage and I bought the Paperwhite 4 about a week after it became available. Both are 3G. They're about the same weight. The Voyage is smaller but not a lot. I always liked it's smaller size but I found myself accidentally turning pages with the flush bezel so I read on my Paperwhite 3 a lot more than on the Voyage.

The Paperwhite 4 also has a flush bezel but for some reason I'm not always turning pages if I hold it wrong. Maybe it's the size or something about the shape.

When I put the Voyage and the Paperwhite 4 side by side the Voyage screen seems better but so does the screen on my Paperwhite 3. The difference isn't something I can put my finger on but comparing them it's there. When I'm reading on the Paperwhite 4 the screen is perfect. I've learned to accept the fact that it doesn't compare well given that it reads so very well, and that's why I bought it.

I was so pleased that I bought a Wifi one as well. Then when they went on sale again I went crazy and bought another one. I'm sure I'm bound for the looney bin but the truth is I wish they'd go on sale again.

When I put the Paperwhites side by side they're all very different. Some look as good as the Voyage. Some don't. Reading on them they're all perfect.

Last week I offered my Voyage to my sister, who listens to audiobooks but is wondering if she wants to go back to reading visually. So far she hasn't accepted it but she may. She can't have my Paperwhite 4's.

The more I use these things the more I realize how good they are to read on. The only thing I don't like is the power saver feature that makes me wait about 10 seconds before I can start reading if it's been sleeping a while. I can turn that feature off but I want to be kind to my battery so I put up with it. Other than that it's easily my favorite reader.

I've been using one of them without a case but I just put it back in it's case and started using my Paperwhite 3 out of it's case. I like having one device without a case by my bed. I've often done that over the years and I've never damaged one yet. Now that I said that it'll probably happen tomorrow.

The Voyage does have the Page Press, which I never remember to use, and the self-adjusting light which I keep turned off. So to me the Voyage is just a smaller Paperwhite. I'm finding the Paperwhite 4 the most comfortable to read on.

Another thing that I always notice when I compare devices is that even within the same model the screens are all different; as different as from model to model. I keep hearing how the Voyage screen is better and mine is very good but some of my Paperwhite 4's and one of my Paperwhite 3 screens are as good. I think personally it's just the luck of the draw.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2019, 08:45 PM   #3
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
FWIW, I have eye damage and comparing my Voyage with my sister's PW4 (ok, technically PW10), the lighting on the Voyage is still superior to the PW. I wouldn't pay for 3G today as free wifi is available all over the place, unless you live in a rural area. I did need it some years ago as I was caregiver for a relative, who did not have wifi, for months on end. I still have my Kindle Keyboard for that if need be. The advantage of 3G is if you access the wiki while you are reading.

Last edited by Tarana; 04-19-2019 at 10:49 PM. Reason: missing commas
Tarana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 09:31 PM   #4
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
I wouldn't pay for 3G today as free wifi is available all over the place, unless you live in a rural area
Or tether to your smartphone
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 11:14 PM   #5
Almamida
Guru
Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage - Kindle PW5 & Voyage - iPad Pro M1 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
I have a Voyage and I bought the Paperwhite 4 about a week after it became available. Both are 3G. They're about the same weight. The Voyage is smaller but not a lot. I always liked it's smaller size but I found myself accidentally turning pages with the flush bezel so I read on my Paperwhite 3 a lot more than on the Voyage.

The Paperwhite 4 also has a flush bezel but for some reason I'm not always turning pages if I hold it wrong. Maybe it's the size or something about the shape.

When I put the Voyage and the Paperwhite 4 side by side the Voyage screen seems better but so does the screen on my Paperwhite 3. The difference isn't something I can put my finger on but comparing them it's there. When I'm reading on the Paperwhite 4 the screen is perfect. I've learned to accept the fact that it doesn't compare well given that it reads so very well, and that's why I bought it.

I was so pleased that I bought a Wifi one as well. Then when they went on sale again I went crazy and bought another one. I'm sure I'm bound for the looney bin but the truth is I wish they'd go on sale again.

When I put the Paperwhites side by side they're all very different. Some look as good as the Voyage. Some don't. Reading on them they're all perfect.

Last week I offered my Voyage to my sister, who listens to audiobooks but is wondering if she wants to go back to reading visually. So far she hasn't accepted it but she may. She can't have my Paperwhite 4's.

The more I use these things the more I realize how good they are to read on. The only thing I don't like is the power saver feature that makes me wait about 10 seconds before I can start reading if it's been sleeping a while. I can turn that feature off but I want to be kind to my battery so I put up with it. Other than that it's easily my favorite reader.

I've been using one of them without a case but I just put it back in it's case and started using my Paperwhite 3 out of it's case. I like having one device without a case by my bed. I've often done that over the years and I've never damaged one yet. Now that I said that it'll probably happen tomorrow.

The Voyage does have the Page Press, which I never remember to use, and the self-adjusting light which I keep turned off. So to me the Voyage is just a smaller Paperwhite. I'm finding the Paperwhite 4 the most comfortable to read on.

Another thing that I always notice when I compare devices is that even within the same model the screens are all different; as different as from model to model. I keep hearing how the Voyage screen is better and mine is very good but some of my Paperwhite 4's and one of my Paperwhite 3 screens are as good. I think personally it's just the luck of the draw.

Barry
Thank you for your complete answer Barry.
So you mean I should give it a try.

Quote:
FWIW, I have eye damage and comparing my Voyage with my sister's PW4 (ok, technically PW10), the lighting on the Voyage is still superior to the PW. I wouldn't pay for 3G today as free wifi is available all over the place, unless you live in a rural area. I did need it some years ago as I was caregiver for a relative who did not have wifi for months on end. I still have my Kindle Keyboard for that if need be. The advantage of 3G is if you access the wiki while you are reading.
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryhermit View Post
Or tether to your smartphone
Thanks both of you. For the 3G/LTE option I already made up my mind. I find the price difference acceptable for not having to worry to find a wifi or tether from my phone. The data is expansive here in Canada, my phone plan covers me only in the city with a little data allotment when I'm outside coverage, and I'll also travel back and forth to France, where I no longer own a phone plan.
Last holidays I was stuck up north with no possibility to check for books I wanted to buy after a friend of mine advised me to buy. Could have been great to just have the connection to download them right away.

Last edited by Almamida; 01-30-2019 at 11:35 PM.
Almamida is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2019, 08:12 AM   #6
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almamida View Post
Hi,

First I love my Kindle Voyage, its screen, its premium feeling, lightweight, portability, battery life, responsiveness, the official Origami magnetic cover that allows me to get it off very easily...

But, the 4GB stockage starts to be short as I'm reading a lot of mangas lately (I just discovered that they render very well after being converted via KCC) and having a cellular connection would be a plus (I've been stuck without being able to have access to wifi and wanting to download books)

I'm tempted to make the transition the next time the PaperWhite is discounted, but I'm afraid of downgrading on things I really like with my Voyage.

I replaced my Voyage with the Paperwhite 2. The only advantage I'd give the Voyage would be the lighting and the lighting on the Paperwhite is adequate.

The Paperwhite in a Amazon Kindle case fits in my pants pocket or in a lower pocket on my Guayabera shirt. The Amazon Kindle case for the Voyage was probably very popular in California. I hated it. I bought five third-part cases and they either didn't work or were slick plastic which I hated holding. My Paperwhite 4 has the Amazon Kindle fabric case and it's near perfect for me.

I never have more than thirty books on a Kindle so the memory isn't really an issue for me but it's there.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 10:59 AM   #7
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Thank you for your complete answer Barry.
So you mean I should give it a try.
I'm just sharing my experience and judgements with you. Whether you should try it or not is for you to decide. If my information helps with that I'm glad, whether it helps you decide to or not.

Picking an ereader is almost as personal a thing as picking a book or deciding what you feel like for lunch. We all have to do what feels right.

It's not like there are any wrong choices. We ereader users are fortunate in that we're able to choose between a bunch of really excellent devices.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 12:54 PM   #8
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Voyage has a better screen but I don’t find it as comfortable to hold with or without a cover. That seems to be the nudge that made PW4 my primary eReader (I don’t feel any need to get a cover for it).

I don’t miss the page turn buttons or auto-brightness features of the Voyage.

I also appreciate the more generous storage and Bluetooth option, though I wish they would add Immersion Reading and TTS; I might actually use BT feature more if they did that. As things are, I do not use it to listen to audiobooks or use VoiceView very much. My phone does a much better job with those things.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 04:32 PM   #9
Kolja
Zealot
Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
The Voyage has a better screen in terms of brightness and contrast and has the Origami case. These are 2 features I wouldn't give up. The screen is the most important thing for me on an e-reader and I like to read while eating which the Origami case is perfect for. I have 3 working Voyages, two relatively new and I hope they last a long, long time.
Kolja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 07:23 PM   #10
NNolan
Compulsive Gadget Geek
NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: One of each, and two in some cases
Quote:
I still have my Kindle Keyboard for that if need be. The advantage of 3G is if you access the wiki while you are reading.
Have you checked your Kindle Keyboard recently to see if the 3G still works? I don't know exactly when the 3G hardware in mine took a permanent vacation but it's gone, and I remember reading somewhere that it's a common problem as the KKs age. If I'd known it had a somewhat short shelf life I wouldn't have spent the extra money on it.
NNolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 07:58 PM   #11
krazy4katz
Addict
krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: [Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (KK)], Kindle Voyage, iPad Pro
I love my Voyage. I don't use the 3G very often but for the price I like to think I don't have to worry about being out of range of wifi. I like the haptic buttons (although would prefer real ones) and I like the adjustable light. I can't think of anything else I need except what is on the Voyage. But some day Amazon will figure that out and I will probably spend the money. I haven't seen the PW4 so I really can't judge.
krazy4katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 09:21 PM   #12
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Okay does anybody know why Amazon hasn't made a reader with as good a screen as the Voyage, which is, what, 3 yo. I know the PW is cheaper but the more expensive Oasis apparently isn't quite as good either. They all use Carta so it's down to the LEDs and light layer, which somehow have gotten worse.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 09:47 PM   #13
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
Okay does anybody know why Amazon hasn't made a reader with as good a screen as the Voyage, which is, what, 3 yo. I know the PW is cheaper but the more expensive Oasis apparently isn't quite as good either. They all use Carta so it's down to the LEDs and light layer, which somehow have gotten worse.
No idea, but perhaps it has something to do with all the complaints about uneven frontlight color of the Voyage. Both the Oasis 1 and 2 (and I think also the Paperwhites) have more even frontlight, but somewhat more washed-out text. Perhaps Amazon tried to fix the frontlight after the Voyage came out and many people complained, but unfortunately that fix also reduced contrast.

Mind you, that's just a wild guess, I have absolutely no data and also no real knowledge of the subject.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 10:41 PM   #14
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:
Hi,

PW 4 is very thin but the lack of buttons bothers me.
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 02:07 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
My Oasis has a screen that's just as good as my Voyage.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pw4 vs voyage, voyage vs pw4