Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 01-04-2018, 09:44 AM   #31
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayjee View Post
- the Power button
As I wrote it is not that sensitive: if the device stands on foam (polyurethane), for example, the power button does not trigger. I do not know where you are making it stand, but a soft buffer like a handkerchief (etc.) would be enough.

Quote:
I am still looking for a way to display two pages side by side in landscape mode.
Can I recommend that you install Librera. Which, by the way, spoiler alert, will be published soon in a revamped intention which is "developer EPD awareness". Keep tuned. But really, it does work well already - it is in a phase of heavy improvements and extended tests.
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 10:02 AM   #32
oranges
Enthusiast
oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Voyage, Onyx Boox N96 & Max2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp View Post
Just did: no, I only get the material I loaded on the device.
Quote:
I have no issues with suddenly appearing pdfs in my library, only those files that I put into the "books" folder (which is the only one I let neoreader import), also when I rebuild the library.
thanks for this info, right now i decided to manually delete each of the random PDFs, 330 to go! i wonder if my Max2 just wasn't reset after testing.

i noticed there isn't the option to factory reset the entire device in the menus (or i missed this), whats the fastest way to do so? do i have to use a software tool or is there an internal way on the device?

Quote:
- the scribble function (both in the reading app and the notes app) got the device to "hang", rendering it unresponsive for a couple of minutes (2-3). I have not yet found out what triggered this.
i noticed this happened to me too, but for Moon Reader -- basically the touch screen hangs after some time. i didnt have the pen at the time to test if the digitizer also crashed.

when i used the physical buttons to back out of it, i did notice there were ad popups which may have caused it, but im not really sure (i am using the free version of Moon Reader for now which has ads, will try the Pro purchased version once OTA is avail to add Play Services)
oranges is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2018, 10:16 AM   #33
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oranges View Post
thanks for this info, right now i decided to manually delete each of the random PDFs, 330 to go! i wonder if my Max2 just wasn't reset after testing.
> manually
Why are not you doing a `rm mypdf*` in the shell?
Old 01-04-2018, 10:19 AM   #34
oranges
Enthusiast
oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Quote:
> manually

: D
; )
Ok, you do not need to be pointed to an `rm mypdf*` in the shell, right?
i should have done that, along with a find cmd in shell to see where the PDFs were coming from, but i already deleted all the PDFs using the most newbie way possible at least Library had multiple select mode option available lol

Last edited by oranges; 01-04-2018 at 10:24 AM.
Old 01-04-2018, 10:35 AM   #35
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcosscriven View Post
I honestly think it's fair warning. But if I'm not welcome here, I can go. I use my full name as you can see, it's not as if I'm an anonymous troll. I stand by my words.
I have experience with the EReader Store for several years now. Always worked well.

Maybe your expectations are exaggerated?
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2018, 10:37 AM   #36
oranges
Enthusiast

Quote:
1) the first issue i have is the poor battery life as mentioned in the previous youtube videos -- the device runs like an android tablet with wifi connected (battery hit 50% after some usage and alot of idling within the span of 8 hrs).
i previously mentioned this power drain was due to the device not going into standby mode, and being active the whole time. i just decided to manually put the device in standby mode, and it did in fact power off automatically.

this is working right now, im not sure if the battery will still be optimal, but the device did power off after 15 min (my setting in power management).

im guessing the original power drain was mainly because it didn't go into standby mode.
Old 01-04-2018, 12:40 PM   #37
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
i noticed there isn't the option to factory reset the entire device in the menus (or i missed this), whats the fastest way to do so? do i have to use a software tool or is there an internal way on the device?
I just performed a factory reset,
which of course worked well. I am in front of "Choose language", first page of the setup.

The option is not in the dumbed-down settings, but it is in the full Android settings.
You open the interface through a command, `am start com.android.settings` if from the console or `adb shell am start com.android.settings` from a desktop.

It will be really appreciated if the next firmware will reintroduce the full Settings icon, otherwise it takes little to make a mini-application that opens it.
Old 01-04-2018, 12:42 PM   #38
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
I just performed a factory reset,
So, I did a factory reset because the only rooting method I can locate for Marshmallow require an internet connection.
Which to me means, clean the device, root it and then make it a production environment again.

I just say, I would prefer not to root a device just to get a Onyx-to-deskop USB networking...
Old 01-04-2018, 02:00 PM   #39
oranges
Enthusiast

Quote:
The option is not in the dumbed-down settings, but it is in the full Android settings.
You open the interface through a command, `am start com.android.settings` if from the console or `adb shell am start com.android.settings` from a desktop.
for finding this info, will give the factory reset a go if i run into more issues.

Quote:
It will be really appreciated if the next firmware will reintroduce the full Settings icon, otherwise it takes little to make a mini-application that opens it.
agreed, maybe have the current simplified settings as "basic" and the full android settings as "advanced"
Old 01-04-2018, 02:44 PM   #40
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
for finding this info, will give the factory reset a go if i run into more issues.
You're welcome... Still no success in rooting, and now in the different mess of making a Wi-Fi dongle work because I am an `ifconfig` away from making a USB network connection work...

Should you get intrigued in rooting and try and get success, please post.
Old 01-04-2018, 04:52 PM   #41
Philippe D.
Addict
Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2o; reMarkable; Onyx Max 2 Pro
Quote:
Hi Philippe, I opened a thread "Web Browsers" (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=291010) a few months ago, and we suggested a number: Lightning, Dolphin, Opera, Naked Browser, Via Browser, Rocket Browser, Chrome, Puffin, UC Mini, Habit.
Take into account that they were tested on Android 4.x, not on Android 6, so the experience may vary - who knows, we all condemned Firefox but in the Max2 it may work fine.
Nonetheless, I suggest you check the thread to see what we experienced in the past.
I tried Dolphin, and it seems to work fine - at least, displaying my pages is very fast. I might give Lightning a try, just for comparison (keep in mind - I have zero experience with Android).
Philippe D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 05:13 PM   #42
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philippe D. View Post
I might give Lightning a try, just for comparison (keep in mind - I have zero experience with Android).
If you try it, go
menu > Settings > Display Settings > Enable text reflow (→ tick)
and
menu > Settings > Advanced Settings > Rendering mode ( → increase contrast)

you would very hardly want to read a "dark snow on silver" on a normal monitor, you certainly want black on white on EPD.

Lightning is simpler than Dolphin - with the pros and cons. Its developer seems to be a great guy. (Watches Vimeo for a living! )

Last edited by mdp; 01-04-2018 at 05:16 PM.
Old 01-04-2018, 07:17 PM   #43
oranges
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post
Concerning installation of Play Services it will be fixed very soon. Tomorrow I am going to test the fixed version and afterwards you can update your device using OTA from our cloud (in settings ->about->update).

I have reported this issue with Play Services two weeks ago, but we didn't have enough time to provide fixes immediately because production and delivery already has started.

We also are working on other improvements, so please don't worry, if you see some polishing of the software is needed. We are going polish it to you complete satisfaction.
Booxtor -- do you have a working build of the Play Services apk that you can send me or post here? it would be much appreciated

i figured this might be faster than than waiting for the OTA which may take longer due to other fixes being included. thanks
Old 01-05-2018, 03:59 AM   #44
Jayjee
Connoisseur
Jayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Onyx Boox Max 2
The factory reset can be found under Settings (from Home Screen) -> Systems -> Privacy - haven't tried it that way, though, no need for me...

@mdp I have installed librera, but not looked at it closely. Turns out, that when I turn the screen with the rotation app, Mobilesheets displays two pages side by side. The rotation app is accessible from the notification bar - two taps to change rotation. Works for me.
Why I am hesitant to go to other apps, is that e.g. in MobileSheets, there is a small lag when writing with the pen as annotation. Not dramatic, but noticably. Also, the erasing tip does not work. There, the standard app is simply fantastic - no lag at all and erasing works if you understand where to erase.

What I am wondering - has nobody complained about the total absence of security measures? Like a simple password to unlock the device when coming from standby / booting up? When you have your emails and other stuff on the device, then I would certainly like to secure this...

Best,
Jan
Jayjee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 04:16 AM   #45
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
I have installed librera, but not looked at it closely. Turns out, that when I turn the screen with the rotation app, Mobilesheets displays two pages side by side.
? Librera displays two pages side-by-side natively. You do not rotate the screen through extra software.
In the beta I am using, the switch "Single page | two pages | cover + two pages" is on the bottom bar of the "Easy mode", in earlier versions it was in the top bar.
And I keep the screen rotated in Librera through its option in the preferences, "Landscape" opposed to Automatic and Portrait.

EDIT: ok, I got what you meant. Well, the clarification will be useful for other people anyway.

Last edited by mdp; 01-05-2018 at 04:19 AM.