Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 04-16-2019, 06:49 PM   #16
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Yup, I really like what that foundry has put out!
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 07:43 PM   #17
warface9991
Connoisseur
warface9991 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo GLO HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Yup, I really like what that foundry has put out!
I saw your comment that you like amazon bookerly.
But there is 2014 version like this: http://www.newswirl.com/wp-content/uploads/Bookerly.zip
and there is 2016 version like this:http://the-digital-reader.com/wp-con...r-bookerly.zip

The 2016 version looks like a bit bolder(see EDIT-2). Which one does amazon use actually?

EDIT: The 2016 version is 393 KiB but 2014 version is 305 KiB which is a little less.

EDIT-2: I checked the two different versions from my phone and could not see any difference between their "boldness". Why do I see the newer one more bolder on pc though?

Last edited by warface9991; 04-16-2019 at 08:05 PM.
warface9991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 01:09 AM   #18
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I am using a recent version (1.020) pulled from whatever FW was current last July. And then severely mangled to make it behave with Kobo's kePub renderer, and to have very very restricted blank vertical space.

It has indeed been updated a tiny bit, the hinting, IIRC, which might explain how hard telling the difference is (as it depends on the renderer, the size, and the screen's dpi).
And as you mentioned a phone, both iOS & Android render fonts unhinted .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 04-17-2019 at 04:05 PM.
Old 04-17-2019, 02:04 AM   #19
warface9991
Connoisseur
warface9991 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo GLO HD
Quote:
I am using a recent version (1.020) pulled from whatever FW was current last July. And then severely mangled to make it behave with Kobo's kePub renderer, and to have very very restricted blank vertical space.

It has indeed been updated a tiny bit, the hinting, IIRC, which might explain how hard it is to tell the difference (as it depends on the renderer, the size, and the screen's dpi).
And as you mentioned a phone, both iOS & Android render fonts unhinted .
Thanks for your answers
warface9991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 03:07 PM   #20
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
Quote:
Originally Posted by crudepatchwork View Post
I use Bitter on my Cervantes (https://www.huertatipografica.com/en/fonts/bitter-ht). Alregreya from the same foundry is also up my alley (https://www.huertatipografica.com/en...legreya-ht-pro), and Amazon's Bookerly looks good too.
It looks like Bitter is more of a slab serif font. Is that your personal preference or are slab serif fonts easier to read on e-ink? That's probably like asking if serif fonts or sans serif fonts are easier to read; I've heard that people argue for both.
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 03:34 PM   #21
Squirsier
Addict
Squirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Sony: PRS-300, PRS-350. Kobo: Aura v2, Clara HD, Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by lori87 View Post
Any suggestions? Maybe Amazon's bookerly?
You're going to get so many answers, but here is mine :

Merriweather (with or without Serif, I love both variations).

Squirsier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 04:02 PM   #22
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirsier View Post
You're going to get so many answers,
Maybe I should make a throwaway account and recommend Comic Sans.
Old 04-17-2019, 04:35 PM   #23
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Nothing wrong with Comic Sans. Here's one that's similar, but arguably worse: http://comicneue.com/

(It's tidier, but loses the playfulness of Comic Sans.)

Maybe I'll give Comic Sans a go. I like serifs though.
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 06:37 PM   #24
lumpynose
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzie View Post
Nothing wrong with Comic Sans. Here's one that's similar, but arguably worse: http://comicneue.com/

(It's tidier, but loses the playfulness of Comic Sans.)

Maybe I'll give Comic Sans a go. I like serifs though.
I loved Comic Sans. And then I found out that only heathens and troglodytes like it. Whoops, can't have that. So I stopped using it. I do miss it though; clearly a guilty pleasure.
Old 04-17-2019, 08:05 PM   #25
NiLuJe
BLAM!

You can fall back to Papyrus .
Old 04-17-2019, 08:15 PM   #26
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
I am a big fan of Linux Libertine which has a very complete set of glyphs. I use the ttf 2012 version that I have boldened a bit for e-ink readers (Koreader) using sherman script and renamed LinLibertineG30. I also use a regular web font of the same for small capitals.

Here it is
Attached Files
File Type: zip resources.zip (1.52 MB, 209 views)
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 05:36 AM   #27
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpynose View Post
I loved Comic Sans. And then I found out that only heathens and troglodytes like it. Whoops, can't have that. So I stopped using it. I do miss it though; clearly a guilty pleasure.
It's just that Times New Roman, Arial, and Comic Sans are so very, very ubiquitous.

Times New Roman combines good legibility with economy of space. Often economy of space isn't that much of a concern, so it can feel a bit cramped. Also it's incredibly boring due to its omnipresence. I will never use Times New Roman by choice, but it would be hard to deny it's fundamentally quite good.

Arial doesn't have the greatest legibility (e.g., there are sans-serif fonts that curve the l to distinguish it from I, and others that add bars to the I, all of which provide better legibility), nor does it have economy of space. If I wanted a vaguely similar sans-serif typeface, I would avoid it in favor of something like Optima or Palatino Sans. I just don't think Arial is very good, besides being almost as overused as TNR.

Comic Sans has better legibility than Arial, better economy of space than Arial without feeling cramped, it's less boring than Arial, and it's not nearly as ubiquitous as Times New Roman. It may not even be overused anymore, because I've rarely seen it this past decade. It has more of a nostalgic '90s feel to me. Fonts have a personality, and people used to use Comic Sans a lot without rhyme or reason. Some might dislike it's lack of a "proper" a or q, but I don't see why. I think that would greatly reduce its impact.

Papyrus is also overused.

There isn't even a clear Comic Sans alternative, although I admit its overly informal playful quality isn't something I've investigated much. Maybe Palatino Sans Informal, or Architect's Daughter.
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 02:46 PM   #28
lumpynose
Wizard

Quote:
You can fall back to Papyrus .
Hmm, somehow I missed the Papyrus craze, and I'm usually sucked in by popular trends. Although looking at it now I don't think it's that appealing, sort of "yeah, it's nice but nothing special."
Old 05-08-2019, 02:54 PM   #29
arooni
Addict
arooni began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4 (2018)
Somewhat related:

I wanted to add literata/bookerly to my android phone/tablet to increase my reading enjoyment there with koreader.

I looked briefly into how to install a font on Android and it seems if my device is not rooted (its not) it's not advisable to try to use third party apps which might brick the device.

If I'm wrong, please do correct me.

PS: nevermind; You can put fonts for KOReader in /sdcard/koreader/fonts.

Last edited by arooni; 05-08-2019 at 02:56 PM.
arooni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 06:12 PM   #30
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
If somebody is still interested in discovering good fonts for KOReader: STIX.

https://www.stixfonts.org/

I like them, they are intended for printed book (with Math fonts too) but works well also in KOReader and they are freely available. With large KA1 screen it seems to read a "real" book.

Edit: not only for printed book, from the stix's site: "The STIX Fonts have been designed to work with all web browsers, word processors and other scholarly communications software, as well as all general purpose software."

"Most of the glyphs in the STIX Fonts have been designed in Times-compatible style"

May be the best times-like fonts ever.

Last edited by ps67; 06-10-2019 at 06:25 PM.
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote