Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-22-2019, 02:51 PM   #76
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia1066 View Post
I noticed on YouTube videos that the pw.4 and gen10 kindle have a sustained black flicker on page turn. It hasn't changed since my kindle keyboard.
This is the only reason to stop using the keyboard as far as I'm concerned.
For what it's worth, the e-ink flashing on current Kindles is much quicker and less noticeable than on my Sony PRS-350 (which was also slightly faster than PRS-300, iirc).
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 01:42 PM   #77
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Yes, I'll try it out. Pity whsmith no longer offer the chance to try reading devices here in UK. Anyone know where I should go in London?
The only places I can really think of which would have devices available to try would be PC World/Currys and John Lewis. You can't tell which devices they will have available to see in advance though, just have to go and hope.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 11:54 AM   #78
Patricia1066
Zealot
Patricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to behold

Device: Kindle PW 10th gen, Kindle Fire 7 9th gen, Kindle KB 3rd gen
I bought a pw4, and the black flash occurs every four page turns, that is acceptable.

The lighting is even and very adjustable so that is a major plus over the Kindle keyboard.

The keyboard has hardware buttons for turning pages, essential for using in the kitchen where my fingers may be floury.
Patricia1066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 06:51 PM   #79
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
I bought a pw4, and the black flash occurs every four page turns, that is acceptable.

The lighting is even and very adjustable so that is a major plus over the Kindle keyboard.

The keyboard has hardware buttons for turning pages, essential for using in the kitchen where my fingers may be floury.
I think there is no fixed refresh, unless you turn on Refresh Every Page option. I don’t have my PW4 handy but it is newer than my Voyage, and on it, as long as pages have only text in one style, there’s no refresh until I get to a new chapter. It also refreshes whenever it encounters a page with an image, and when it leaves a page with an image (image can be an inline ‘dingbat’ between sections of text).

I’ve been known to use my nose to turn Kindle pages when my hands were not clean. That does not work very well on Kindle Keyboard however.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 07:01 PM   #80
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
FWIW, I bought a Kindle 10 (where was 9?) at the Prime sale. $22 after all the discounts and trade ins. Love it. It will be my new take-a-long unit. Due to lighting changes at many doctor's office, I felt it was time to spring for it. If I drop it on concrete or at the ER, I'm only out $22 and won't feel nearly as bad as I would a PW. There have been a lot of complaints about dead pixels or cone lighting on the new PW and I just didn't want the hassle. I only need the lighting as back up, not as a main use. Also works with Audible which is useful at the ER where I often hang out for many hours awaiting test results.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 09:27 PM   #81
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
The only 9th gen kindle was the kindle oasis, apparently. Not every kindle model comes out in every generation.

This probably only makes sense for Amazon, probably
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote