Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-25-2020, 12:28 PM   #1
droopy
Guru
droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Is there a faster way to write a note in an ebook?

Is there a faster way to write a note in an ebook on a Kobo?

On a dead-tree book, I take a pen (or pencil, if I'm feeling timid) in my hand and can easily write in the margin.

On a desktop/laptop computer, i can type at 70 WPM using all ten fingers.

On a phone, I can do voice dictation, which can be quite fast and isn't too bad for accuracy.

But on my Kobo, I have to finger-peck on the on-screen keyboard. If I go too fast on the finger-pecking, the characters don't immediately appear in my annotation. This discourages me from annotating, or from making smaller notes than I wish.

Is there a faster way to annotate on a Kobo Forma?
droopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 01:18 PM   #2
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
You can give this a try:

Connect your Kobo eReader to your computer

Navigate to [drive letter or device name]/.kobo/Kobo and open the file "Kobo eReader.conf" in a text editor

Find the heading [FeatureSettings]. If it does not exist then create it.

Add this line beneath the heading [FeatureSettings]:

Code:
SketchNote = True
Save the file then eject your Kobo eReader

The effect will be to change the page into a drawing page, similar to the Sketchpad feature, when a highlight is taken. You can then write the note with your fingertip.

More on what you can set in this configuration file can be found here:

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kob...ration_Options

I hope this helps!
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-26-2020, 05:42 AM   #3
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Quote:
Originally Posted by droopy View Post
Is there a faster way to write a note in an ebook on a Kobo?

On a dead-tree book, I take a pen (or pencil, if I'm feeling timid) in my hand and can easily write in the margin.

On a desktop/laptop computer, i can type at 70 WPM using all ten fingers.

On a phone, I can do voice dictation, which can be quite fast and isn't too bad for accuracy.

But on my Kobo, I have to finger-peck on the on-screen keyboard. If I go too fast on the finger-pecking, the characters don't immediately appear in my annotation. This discourages me from annotating, or from making smaller notes than I wish.

Is there a faster way to annotate on a Kobo Forma?
I have a problem with this, too. I used to think the solution was to open the same ebook on my iPad in the Kobo app, quickly record the annotation, then exit out of the book, then sync. Back at the kobo ereader, I'd sync and tada! But a few years back this stopped working for me. The Kobo app and the Kobo reader have different annotation databases after the first sync. It's a heck of a kludge, anyway.

You'll just have to adapt to slowing your tapping down while checking after every word so you don't get too far ahead of yourself. Fortunately, the arrow keys let you back the cursor up so you don't have to retype everything. This is the tradeoff we make for eInk technology and fantastic battery life.
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 11:48 AM   #4
droopy
Guru
droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootey View Post
You'll just have to adapt to slowing your tapping down while checking after every word so you don't get too far ahead of yourself. Fortunately, the arrow keys let you back the cursor up so you don't have to retype everything. This is the tradeoff we make for eInk technology and fantastic battery life.

For me, reading a book is not a passive experience; I write as part of reading. It helps me remember things. It is a way of dialoging with the author. It helps me understand the flow of the thought.

I'd pay double for a Kobo ereader that has much improved note-taking technology. I'd be willing to carry a Kobo ereader that's twice as bulky and heavy just for this.
droopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 02:56 PM   #5
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
It's a pity you can't even plug in a USB keyboard. I even have one with a micro USB so no adaptor is needed.
I've never found a reliable Bluetooh keyboard for Android, Windows or Linux, but I do have a proprietary Wireless keyboard that works on Linux, Windows, Android TV and via an adaptor on all the Android phones and tablets I've tried. I've used one on an ancient and current Android phone for notes with Jota.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-26-2020, 09:29 PM   #6
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Quote:
For me, reading a book is not a passive experience; I write as part of reading. It helps me remember things. It is a way of dialoging with the author. It helps me understand the flow of the thought.

I'd pay double for a Kobo ereader that has much improved note-taking technology. I'd be willing to carry a Kobo ereader that's twice as bulky and heavy just for this.

I am very similar to you, though the dialog I have is with myself, not the author. I will write predictions in, or comment on narrative mistakes or perfections.

I’ve noticed a Kobo out of the box is quite snappy when typing. Then I log in, it updates and then loads books, and the typing response slows down. The Clara tupes faster, tbh, compared to the KA1 I had before. Is it a CPU problem? A file system problem? An eInk problem, or a combination of the three? I’m not sure. I just know that Kobo needs to focus on improvements. Typing on my Kindle is less sluggish, though Kobo is definitely catching up.

The Kindle used to be crappy at annotation, too. I don’t think Kobo is prioritizing typing speed compared to other features.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 12:45 AM   #7
mirage
Zealot
mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: OnePlus 6 phone, Kobo Clara HD, Libra H2O
What about a tablet so that you can use a stylus to write notes?
mirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 04:34 AM   #8
DrChiper
Bookish
DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC, t1, t2, t3, aura 2 v1, clara HD, Libra 2, Nxtpaper 11
Quote:
Perhaps the reMarkable 2 is something for you to take notes. It seems to be able to read EPUBs as well. I have no hands-on experiences though.
DrChiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 04:43 AM   #9
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage View Post
What about a tablet so that you can use a stylus to write notes?
I use the notes back on my laptop.
Also only a very few tablets have a genuine stylus input. Using an ordinary capacitive touch screen is poor. My Sony PRS350 5" eink allows such notes as does a Palm Z22 (2.4" 160 x 160 screen!).
None of the applications I use on Android, Windows or Linux allows image based notes by drawing, only text.
Anyway, I've never seen a tablet where a keyboard doesn't work. I've a proprietary wireless keyboard (the Laptop mini-dongle uses a €4 micro USB - USB-A OSB2Go adaptor and two USB folio cover keyboards (7" and 10") with micro-USB plugs wired for USB2Go. My mini keyboard with regular USB-A plug bought for a server also works via an adaptor.
All the BT keyboards have issues:
1) Less devices have BT
2) You've to turn on BT
3) You have to pair, can be slow.
4) Slow to wake compared to proprietary Wireless which is instant.
5) Tend to sleep and lose the first two characters typed
6) Most have rubbish key action but even a good one, item (5) is a killer.

I've loads of mini switches (low profile tact) and old PC size USB keyboards so I bought a 2nd folio cover for my 6" phone for €5 in a sale and cut stitches to remove the credit card holder layer on the cover. I'll punch holes in a sheet for the round buttons and glue switch tops to sheet, then hand wire to the USB keyboard IC with a short Micro USB plug wired for the USB2Go.
Esc <---F1 to F12---> Sl Pa Hm En In De
¦ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 - = <-
->Q W E R T Y U I O P [ ] Ent
Cl A S D F G H J K L ; ' # up
^ Z X C V B N M , . / \ ^ left right
Cn Wi Al space Gr Mn Ps Cn Pd dn Pu

Basically UK layout , UK shift, but
Cl (Caps Lock mapped to Compose on Linux, tricky to remap on Android)
All marking keys with AltGr, not just áéíóú €, the ` dead for accenting
With PC keyboard connected:
Win Key seems to be Android Search. Menu key does Android app menu. Escape is Android Back, PrtScn does capture screen.

You do need a small paid app to remap keys for Android, though later versions of Android do have limited keyboard language layouts.
Old 05-27-2020, 04:45 AM   #10
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
if you have or can borrow a tablet- install the free Kobo android reader app , add a book or two and try with that. even without a bluetooth keyboard attached, you may find it is much easier to type . the kobo app is v similar to that is in the e-ink reader, so it should have the same note taking features

i think i would voice dictate notes into a separate smart phone or a voice recorder, with book page ref, ( use google assistant) then have a later typing session for those you want to keep. otherwise just label and archive those voice files
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 11:45 AM   #11
mirage
Zealot
mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
...Also only a very few tablets have a genuine stylus input. Using an ordinary capacitive touch screen is poor. My Sony PRS350 5" eink allows such notes as does a Palm Z22 (2.4" 160 x 160 screen!).
None of the applications I use on Android, Windows or Linux allows image based notes by drawing, only text.
Anyway, I've never seen a tablet where a keyboard doesn't work...
I was thinking more along the lines of the Onyx Boox tablets that have eInk and a stylus. Like the Nova2. Not so much an iPad or a Surface. I haven't used any of these eInk tablets, though. But they're set up to annotate epub books and pdfs, at least that's my impression.

Is it possible to connect a keyboard of any sort, directly or remotely, to a Clara HD?
Old 05-27-2020, 03:48 PM   #12
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage View Post
Is it possible to connect a keyboard of any sort, directly or remotely, to a Clara HD?
Not as far as I know. There was some discussion 6 or 7 years back about H/W and kernel modifications to allow using an external keyboard with a Kobo ereader. I vaguely remember looking at the discussion and it was, being gentle, user hostile.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 04:55 PM   #13
mirage
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Not as far as I know. There was some discussion 6 or 7 years back about H/W and kernel modifications to allow using an external keyboard with a Kobo ereader. I vaguely remember looking at the discussion and it was, being gentle, user hostile.
Ha! Too bad. A keyboard could be helpful for notes about the books we read.
Old 05-28-2020, 07:40 AM   #14
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Some ereaders don't have USB2Go HW, so then enabling it won't work anyway! Curiously the Kindle PW3 does as a generic USB audio stick works if you download the two accessory packs for the x5 more expensive Amazon USB audio. But keyboard, mouse and external storage, which are standard in Linux & Android are disabled or ignored.