Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 05-12-2020, 05:56 AM   #1
ck321
ck321 began at the beginning.

Device: amazon kindle paperwhite
Converting file

Hello everyone.
Sorry if I am asking something that has been asked previously. Please help me.
I have a pdf document which i want to convert to kfx format. I have installed calibre with the kfx plugin. Whenever I am trying to convert pdf to epub first to convert it to kfx, almost all the formatting is lost in epub format itself. Also, I am unable to read mobi formats in kindle. I also tried to convert pdf to azw format but still all the formatting is lost. Even mobi format document is not being displayed in library.
Please help. I am unable to do anything about it.
ck321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 06:16 AM   #2
Bookstooge
Guru
Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 1st Gen
Welcome to the wonderful world of PDF. This is one of the reasons a lot of readers don't bother with pdf. You're going to have to do a lot of manual work to whip the kfx/epub file into shape.

Familiarize yourself with either Calibre's editor or the Sigil editor (and sigil has its own subforum here on MR). Best of luck.
Bookstooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 06:20 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=118605
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 06:46 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Do not convert PDF to KFX directly. You need to do a LOT of fixing with the converted output. Convert to Pub and then do your A/B compare of every single character, space, punctuation, etc. You have to do such a compare or there WILL be errors.

That's why a PDF is a very poor source format.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 07:31 AM   #5
ck321

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Thank you very much for the reply. I will read the thread. Please bear with me if I have any further questions. Thanks a lot.
Old 05-12-2020, 07:37 AM   #6
ck321

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Do not convert PDF to KFX directly. You need to do a LOT of fixing with the converted output. Convert to Pub and then do your A/B compare of every single character, space, punctuation, etc. You have to do such a compare or there WILL be errors.

That's why a PDF is a very poor source format.
Thank you very much for the reply. Can you please suggest how can I get entire pdf to a readable format in my kindle. When i use pdf, I am not able to zoom properly and there are no bookmarks (for chapters). Please suggest me what to read, to understand advantages and disadvantages of various formats. Please bear with my questions. Again thank you for the help.
Old 05-12-2020, 08:30 AM   #7
ck321

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookstooge View Post
Welcome to the wonderful world of PDF. This is one of the reasons a lot of readers don't bother with pdf. You're going to have to do a lot of manual work to whip the kfx/epub file into shape.

Familiarize yourself with either Calibre's editor or the Sigil editor (and sigil has its own subforum here on MR). Best of luck.
Thank you for the reply. I replied earlier but it is not appearing. Sorry for that. I will go through the editor's function. Again, thanks for the reply.