Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 11-28-2020, 02:10 AM   #1
InnovationHack
InnovationHack began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Poke3
Poke3 Confusion (Moon+)

I didn't like the built in reader for ePub, so I downloaded Moon+ Pro and tried using it on my brand new Poke3 and I'm even more disappointed. It's so hard to navigate (how do I get back to the start of a book??). Why can't I see the status bar at the top of the screen to change settings? It's blank and I assume that's supposed to be where I change fonts and go back to the TOC, etc.

I was a long time Kindle user (which is easy to use) but wanted the freedom to have my own material on the device, which led me to the Poke3, but so far, the interaction experience has been less than awesome.
InnovationHack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 02:45 AM   #2
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by InnovationHack View Post
I didn't like the built in reader for ePub,
What didn't you like about it?
Quote:
so I downloaded Moon+ Pro
Why this app?
Quote:
and tried using it on my brand new Poke3 and I'm even more disappointed. It's so hard to navigate (how do I get back to the start of a book??). Why can't I see the status bar at the top of the screen to change settings? It's blank and I assume that's supposed to be where I change fonts and go back to the TOC, etc.
The Poke 3 is just not a reader, but an Android EInk tablet, which is ideally suited to the reader and is superior to any special device due to its variability.
You just have to deal with the relevant conditions and programs.
ottischwenk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 04:01 AM   #3
church mouse
Evangelist
church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Clara HD, Kobo H2O, Boox Poke 2
There is a plethora of ereader apps one can test out on your Poke.

On my Poke 2 I have found the following all work and each has its pros and cons, but each requires one to configure the settings to suit as best able:

Moon+ Pro; FB Reader; Librera; KnownReader; CoolReader; Koreader; Prestigio; AlreaderX.

As for your specific observation on Moon+: tapping the centre of the screen will open settings, in “Miscellaneous” check that you have enabled “Show mini status bar when reading”. If you click on the gear icon next to that, you can set different functions for the left, centre and right of the mini status bar.

Like you, I do not like the Onyx in-built reader, but my Poke 2 is my favourite reader when using one of the available reader apps.
church mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 01:37 PM   #4
InnovationHack
InnovationHack began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Poke3
The built in reader formats my ePubs "wonky." There are weird spacing issues, and I have yet to find a font I like that is close to what I get on the kindle (bookerly is a great font). I know I can customize, so I just need to play with it more.

Thank you for the tip about Moon+ and tapping the middle of the screen. That was non-intuitive, but it worked the way it should have. I'll experiment more. I love the weight and size of this device, I just need to play with it more.
InnovationHack is offline   Reply With Quote