Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-14-2019, 12:46 PM   #16
lohtse
Groupie
lohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavireck View Post
Here you go:
https://github.com/Mavireck/Kobo-Pyt...eases/tag/v1.0

It packs both my Dashboard and my Wolfram Alpha app. And it starts a very simple menu from which you can start them, and from which you can also start PBChess, Koreader and YAWK (I have not fixed Plato's launch script yet). (I don't like to have too many "fake books" which are only script starters).

Installation guide:
If you are not using a Kobo H2O First Edition:
- edit the launcher.py in Kobo-Python-Launcher for appropriate screen_width, screen_height and input file (if input does not work).
- Edit Kobo-Dashboard/files/config.json and Kobo-WolframAlpha/WAK.py for the same reason.
- Report if you see any error, although I do not guarantee a long-term maintenance.
- Then follow the steps below:

If you are already using a H20:
- Install KFMon and KoboStuff by NiLuJe.
- Edit Kobo-Dashboard/files/config.json with your openweathermaps APPID et cityID.
- If you want to start KOReader from my simple menu, copy .adds/mavireck/Kobo-Python-Launcher/startKoreaderFromPythonLauncher.sh into .adds/koreader/
- If you want to remove/add entries to the Python Launcher, edit the .adds/mavireck/Kobo-Python-Launcher/launcher.json file

P.S. Is it really impossible to edit a thread title? That is the first forum for which I am unable to change it...
Thank you again

Issue for me is nothing is working.

installed the mentioned files by NuJule and copied your files. Edited to match Touch screen and added my Openweather key. clicled on python launcher Icon and just opens icon in full screen... Any ideas where I am going wrong???
lohtse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 12:56 PM   #17
Mavireck
Connoisseur
Mavireck might easily be mistaken for a TexanMavireck might easily be mistaken for a TexanMavireck might easily be mistaken for a TexanMavireck might easily be mistaken for a TexanMavireck might easily be mistaken for a TexanMavireck might easily be mistaken for a TexanMavireck might easily be mistaken for a TexanMavireck might easily be mistaken for a TexanMavireck might easily be mistaken for a TexanMavireck might easily be mistaken for a TexanMavireck might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kobo H2O (broken), Kobo H2O Edition 2 v1 (stolen), Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by lohtse View Post
Thank you again

Issue for me is nothing is working.

installed the mentioned files by NuJule and copied your files. Edited to match Touch screen and added my Openweather key. clicled on python launcher Icon and just opens icon in full screen... Any ideas where I am going wrong???
Is Nickel still working after you clicked on the icon?
If yes, that is probably a problem with KFMon.
If no, it is a problem with my launch script.
(It is probably the latter btw)

I cannot fix it without having any clue of what is going wrong, so could you please follow the following steps ?

If it is a problem with KFMon:
1/ Chech if KFMon is working correctly (do you already use KFMon for KOReader or Plato?
2/ check on your Kobo the presence of these three files at the correct location:
onboard/.adds/kfmon/config/pythonLauncher.ini
onboard/icons/PythonLauncher.png
onboard/.adds/mavireck/Kobo-PythonLauncher/startLauncher.sh

If it is a problem with my launch script:
1/ Please, telnet/ssh to your kobo. Then execute the following:
Code:
cd /mnt/onboard/.adds/mavireck/Kobo-PythonLauncher/
./startLauncher.sh
You can also try:
Code:
cd /mnt/onboard/.adds/mavireck/Kobo-PythonLauncher/
python launcher.py
Then tell me what the console says.
Mavireck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2019, 01:05 PM   #18
Mavireck
Connoisseur
Mavireck might easily be mistaken for a TexanMavireck might easily be mistaken for a TexanMavireck might easily be mistaken for a TexanMavireck might easily be mistaken for a TexanMavireck might easily be mistaken for a TexanMavireck might easily be mistaken for a TexanMavireck might easily be mistaken for a TexanMavireck might easily be mistaken for a TexanMavireck might easily be mistaken for a TexanMavireck might easily be mistaken for a TexanMavireck might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@Mavireck: Switching to git submodules might make things easier? .
Why didn't I know about that feature before?? I will investigate about it it looks very interesting.

Quote:
Hmmmm will this work on a Kobo Touch?
Well... A lot of little adjustments have to be made. And I guess the whole UI is going to be off... Everything is not placed relatively with the screen dimensions, there are a few things which I hardcoded (like icon size etc...). So you are going to have a few issues with that too.

[QUOTE=NiLuJe;3878697]@Mavireck: Speaking of other devices, I'd possibly get rid of the user-configurable screen dimensions (or at least make that a dev/test option), and instead default to figuring them out automagically (say, via fbink_get_state() ;p) .
I should really delve into FBInk's documentation... I discover new features every day!
You really made an awesome work on this librairy

I changed my mind about this project's evolution.
to make it short, I am an undergraduate (although that word is not very accurate, the French system is quite different). It means that as soon as the scholar year begins (at the beginining of september), I will go back to a radio silence state
In the meantime, I will try to fix a few problems if you have some, but I will not add any features.
After all, my initial thought was not to publish this app, but then I thought that some people could find it useful. I never really considered making it a long-term project, so I will leave it for anyone to access on my Github, and feel free to fork it and make it better

Last edited by Mavireck; 08-14-2019 at 01:20 PM.
Old 08-15-2019, 04:48 AM   #19
lohtse
Groupie
lohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Ok so did a fresh install on my Touch and all I get is a log file for Kfmon.. and touch locks up completely if I open Python (has equals symbol) then gives [kfmon] pid 4783 exited unexpectedly : 1!

I have PLato and koreader installed and working fine
Old 08-15-2019, 04:55 AM   #20
Mavireck
Connoisseur

As expected, my launch script is not working for you.
Have you tried running the command over telnet or ssh?
Or does the KFMon log return anything relevant?

It is working on my Kobo so without further information I really do not know what to do

If you do not want to use the PythonLauncher (which I can understand), you can make the .adds/kfmon/config/PythonLauncher.ini point to .adds/mavireck/Kobo-dashboard/dashboard.sh
It will launch the dashboard directly

Last edited by Mavireck; 08-15-2019 at 05:00 AM.
Advert
Old 08-15-2019, 06:08 AM   #21
lohtse
Groupie

Quote:
As expected, my launch script is not working for you.
Have you tried running the command over telnet or ssh?
Or does the KFMon log return anything relevant?

It is working on my Kobo so without further information I really do not know what to do

If you do not want to use the PythonLauncher (which I can understand), you can make the .adds/kfmon/config/PythonLauncher.ini point to .adds/mavireck/Kobo-dashboard/dashboard.sh
It will launch the dashboard directly
how would I do that? point it to mavireck thing?
Old 08-15-2019, 06:35 AM   #22
Mavireck
Connoisseur

Quote:
how would I do that? point it to mavireck thing?
Change the content of .adds/kfmon/config/PythonLauncher.ini to this:
Code:
[watch]
filename = /mnt/onboard/icons/PythonLauncher.png
action = /mnt/onboard/.adds/mavireck/Kobo-Dashboard/dashboard.sh	
block_spawns = 1
But if the PythonLauncher did not work, I doubt this will work. Again, I would need a log to know what to fix.
Old 08-15-2019, 06:39 AM   #23
lohtse
Groupie

you wouold have to tell me how to get the logs.... am just messing with things for now on kobo touch so have very little experience...
Old 08-15-2019, 07:01 AM   #24
Mavireck
Connoisseur

Quote:
you wouold have to tell me how to get the logs.... am just messing with things for now on kobo touch so have very little experience...

The most useful thing for me is to connect with ssh to your kobo, then manually run the script, then post what you see in the commandline here.

Complete instructions for how to do that:
If you are running Windows 10.
Follow the steps here : connecting with SSH using Windows 10 integrated client.
Then follow the general steps below.

If you are running Linux (Debian, Ubuntu or whatever)
Just open the command line, its already ready. Then follow the general steps below.

If you are running MacOS
Then check on Google "ssh client for macos". I do not have any Apple device to test.
Then, follow the general steps below

General steps
Then, you need to connect your kobo to the same Wifi network as your computer. Then, go to settings, then to "device information" or "technical information" (i do not know the english equivalent - it is the menu right before the last one) and note the IP Address.
Then, open the powershell on your start menu, then run :
Code:
ssh 192.168.1.20
Where you have to replace 192.168.1.20 with your kobo's IP address
If needed, answer yes to any question the commandline will ask you.
Then, enter the following commands:
Code:
cd /mnt/onboard/.adds/mavireck/Kobo-Python-Launcher
./startLauncher.sh
If you don't care about the PythonLauncher at all, you can also run the following instead:
Code:
cd /mnt/onboard/.adds/mavireck/Kobo-Dashboard
./dashboard.sh

If needed, to restart the device when it froze, you have to press the power switch for about 15 seconds, then release it, then press the button again for a few seconds.

Last edited by Mavireck; 08-15-2019 at 07:03 AM.
Old 08-19-2019, 09:05 AM   #25
Mavireck
Connoisseur

Yeaah!
I found a major issue in my code which may explain why it did not work on non-H20 devices.
So go grab the latest release here :
Dashboard bundled with my (improved) PythonLauncher and WolframAlpha app
Or here:
Dashboard as a standalone package

You don't need to set up screen width and hieght, but only the openweathermapp APPID and CITYID in the config file

Please, tell me how it goes!

Note: Wifi seems not to be working : you must launch the app with Wifi started, and if you disable it, you can't quite enable it back.

Last edited by Mavireck; 08-19-2019 at 05:12 PM.
Old 08-20-2019, 01:21 AM   #26
lohtse
Groupie

pre packed ready for download version???
Old 08-20-2019, 05:01 AM   #27
Mavireck
Connoisseur

Quote:
pre packed ready for download version???
I don't know what you mean with this message, but the two links I gave in my previous message are ready to be installed.
You only have to unzip them at the root of your device's storage, then change your weather credentials in the config file located at .adds/mavireck/Kobo-Dashboard/files/config.json
Old 08-20-2019, 06:20 AM   #28
lohtse
Groupie

Quote:
I don't know what you mean with this message, but the two links I gave in my previous message are ready to be installed.
You only have to unzip them at the root of your device's storage, then change your weather credentials in the config file located at .adds/mavireck/Kobo-Dashboard/files/config.json
ooops didn't scroll down far enough

sorry
Old 08-20-2019, 09:19 AM   #29
lohtse
Groupie

Same issues as before for me on touch... opening Python just hangs at Equals Icon... nothing more :-(
Old 08-20-2019, 09:23 AM   #30
Mavireck
Connoisseur

Quote:
Same issues as before for me on touch... opening Python just hangs at Equals Icon... nothing more :-(

Well that is unexpected.

Have you tried the dashboard standalone package? If not, can you please try and report?
You will need to delete the .adds/mavireck folder and the icon/Python Launcher.png file, then extract the standalone archive the same way you did for the Python Launcher.

I seriously do not know what is happening, and I only have a H20 to test at the moment.