Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-09-2023, 11:02 PM   #1
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Apple Vision Pro headset: the perfect reading device?

I certainly hope some reading apps are available on Day 1 that take advantage of it.

With the precise eye-tracking, some interesting possibilities are in play, and ability to change the virtual reading location (surface of Mars, Inside the Great Pyramid) would be fun.

And all this for only $3500 (plus lenses if you need 'em).

Last edited by tomsem; 06-10-2023 at 01:56 AM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 02:09 AM   #2
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots of eInk devices and iOS stuff
IMHO, could not be good to have those screens near your eyes too much time.
rfog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2023, 04:21 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Or is it the perfect TV?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 05:50 AM   #4
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots of eInk devices and iOS stuff
Who knows? At least nobody can know what you are watching.

The future will say it.

rfog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 11:53 AM   #5
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfog View Post
At least nobody can know what you are watching.
Or reading. Except Apple, content providers and marketing partners.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-12-2023, 03:02 PM   #6
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
At $3500 + tax + lenses (if needed) plus any add-ons, and it is Apple, so expect a cleaning cloth to cost $300 , I doubt we will see that many of these devices sold. I'm guessing that mostly gamers with more money than sense, and business pros that can use these in their business/industry, science, research, et cetera, will be the primary buyers. I can't believe the average person would pay as much for these as they would for a high end Mac just to watch TV or surf the internet or read a book.

Personally, I wouldn't care to wear those darn plastic things on my head for hours at a time, not that I could ever afford, much less justify, paying $4,000+ for them. In my location, local and state sales tax equals 8.25% which comes out to about $289 just for tax. Plus I would definitely need the lenses. I would probably need the extra top strap to keep them on in a comfortable position, so knowing Apple add another $400 for a lousy strip of rubber! I live in Texas where Satan has his summer home because it is hotter than his normal home, so wearing diving goggles outside would likely mean a heat stroke and being rushed to a hospital. And since this the USA where our healthcare system is only the third best in North America, well do the math... But seriously, those would be hot and uncomfortable to wear. I can't even wear over the ear headsets, much less that device. Quite frankly, anyone who wears those in public will, sooner or later, likely encounter an irate stranger who feels threatened by them.

So I have a hard time believing these will become mainstream. Perhaps those who no longer can read cursive writing, nor read a clock with hands, nor pull themselves off their couch and out of a gaming world to actually go outside and meet REAL people, maybe those people will buy them. They live in cyberspace already. The rest of us? Not so much...
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 04:01 PM   #7
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
I believe that after putting money into developing these for a number of years the decision finally had to be made to either ship them or cancel the project.

I think they made the wrong choice.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2023, 09:23 AM   #8
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtinG View Post
So I have a hard time believing these will become mainstream. Perhaps those who no longer can read cursive writing, nor read a clock with hands, nor pull themselves off their couch and out of a gaming world to actually go outside and meet REAL people, maybe those people will buy them. They live in cyberspace already. The rest of us? Not so much...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Machine_Stops
After initial publication in The Oxford and Cambridge Review (November 1909), the story was republished in Forster's The Eternal Moment and Other Stories in 1928.
I think on Gutenberg
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2023, 10:13 AM   #9
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
I hear its $3,000. Who is going to spend that kind of money lol
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2023, 11:33 AM   #10
DuskyRose
Guru
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Palma, Kdle Scribe & Paperwhite, Kobo Eclipsa 2e & Libra 2, Ipads
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLS View Post
If enough rich people do, then I imagine it'll find it's niche. For some, that's not a lot of money.

Although, it sure is for me!

I had an Oculus for a while, and ended up giving it to my son. I had some wonderful, beautiful games I played on it, and enjoyed it a lot. Problem was, I'd get 'dry eye', and a headache at my temples, probably because of the weight and pressure. I could only play the games for about an hour, and had to give it a good, long break between. It just got to be too much.

A few years later, hubby got the new Oculus, and enjoyed it with his flying apps. But I've not had any urge to pick it up, and he's pretty much forgotten he's got it anymore.

I just don't see myself wearing something like that long enough to care that I can see the world through it.
DuskyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2023, 04:15 PM   #11
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
$3499 USD. 'A lot', you say, but compared to what? There aren't a lot of direct comparisons.

Apple is rumored to be working on 2 follow on models: one is Pro 2, the other is a lower cost model with some reduced feature set.

I wouldn't expect the latter to be less than $2000, or for either to ship until 2025.

I expect there will be enough people who want one that there will a substantial wait when it is actually available for purchase.

By all reports even the pre production models offer a much better experience than anything currently available.

Last edited by tomsem; 06-14-2023 at 04:26 PM.
Old 06-14-2023, 04:54 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Lots of people. Think of what a lot of people spend on a TV. The Vision Pro is supposed to be really good for watching TV.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2023, 07:59 PM   #13
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Lots of people. Think of what a lot of people spend on a TV. The Vision Pro is supposed to be really good for watching TV.
A TV can be used by more than one person at a time. And $3500 buys a damn good TV. Plus a TV can display a whole movie without running out of power.
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2023, 04:26 AM   #14
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

It is a lot more than a nice TV, and when it ships in 9 months or whatever, we'll learn a lot more about what that means, as they'll be able to showcase more use cases by then.

This might give some flavor of it and how it matches up to other devices (MacRumors YouTube).

https://youtu.be/RSeqXeZHjRY

It's also going to be very inconvenient to share with anyone. It's physically customized for one person (you scan your face with an iPhone so it gets the correct insert), if you need glasses you need prescription inserts, and the Guest account can only make some adjustments for trying it out (which don't persist).

Last edited by tomsem; 06-16-2023 at 07:41 PM.
Old 06-15-2023, 08:09 PM   #15
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
It will sell because it's Apple and there are people who have their wallet ready even before it's announced, but I'm sceptical this is anything but a fad. At this price this is not a device for the masses and unlike phones, this has a much narrower use case. I'd expect the main use for these to be gaming, but that doesn't seem to be how this is advertised, more like a consumption device. Then there is the creepy factor to this as well.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote