Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 08-29-2010, 06:09 PM   #1
errata
errata began at the beginning.

Device: JBL
PDF reflow problem with headers & footers

I'm having problems with reflow not working properly - it's getting confused by the title and section headers and the page number footers, inserting them into the text instead of removing them. Has anyone seen this or have any ideas about how to fix it? I tried converting to epub in calibre, but that made the problem worse.
errata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 06:17 PM   #2
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
I've seen it fairly often.

There's not much you can do about it; it's caused by the program that creates the PDF in the first place. The headers & footers are inserted into a different spot in the workflow from the main text; it's as if either they're created first on the page, and then the text is inserted, or the text is placed on all the pages, and then the headers are added by the program.

Reflow puts them in the wrong places because the coding puts their order in some weird spot it can't understand.

I've had some luck at cropping the page (I use Acrobat Pro, but there's free cropping software) to hide the headers & footers, and then convert. Sometimes that keeps the conversion from seeing them.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2010, 01:24 AM   #3
greenapple
Evangelist
greenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle DX, Kobo Aura HD
You could try using nuance pdf converter or adobe acrobat to crop the pdf. Draw a box around the main text, and apply the crop for the entire pdf. After you've removed the headers and footers and page numbers and so on, simply convert it to html, which can be read by jetbook.
greenapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 02:42 PM   #4
errata

Good suggestion. It seemed to work, but now there's a problem with lines being split all over the place. I then tried to convert it to epub with calibre, and the header/footers started showing up again!? Apparently cropping doesn't really remove them, just hides them somehow?
Old 08-31-2010, 12:17 AM   #5
greenapple
Evangelist
greenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle DX, Kobo Aura HD
It depends on how the original file is formatted. Cropping + conversion doesn't work all the time.
greenapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2010, 06:12 AM   #6
Makgj
Makgj began at the beginning.

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Aluratek Libre Pro, Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Kindle PaperWhite
I have found if you use Mobi creator it will remove the headers and footers (mainly page numbers) but you will have to recreate the pdf.
Makgj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 12:01 PM   #7
errata

That did it! Thanks a lot. It's totally readable, even though it also removes a lot of the intentional page breaks.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:29 AM   #8
dougf4
Connoisseur
dougf4 has learned how to read e-booksdougf4 has learned how to read e-booksdougf4 has learned how to read e-booksdougf4 has learned how to read e-booksdougf4 has learned how to read e-booksdougf4 has learned how to read e-booksdougf4 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Nook Tablet (Rooted), jetbook lite
I'm not having Header and Footer Issues, but would ask for advice on basic formatting of the JBL itself to read PDFs.

I have just upgraded to 16e on my JBL and was hopeful that I would now be able to read PDF files without jumping through hoops.

Prior to this upgrade I never even attempted to read a PDF - just could not get it to work properly so converted PDFs to .rtf or .txt to make them usable.

Now I seem to be within "striking distance" of reading straight PDFs as downloaded.

The files I am attempting to get to work are from Feedbooks and are credited back to Project Gutenberg.

1. What exactly does "Reflow" accomplish?

2. How do you utilize "Reflow" - configuration, etc.?

My core PDF document with default settings are very tiny images, too small to read, but perfectly centered on the screen.

Increasing font size, causes a lot of improper "word-wrap" with words being forced apart at the right margin.

Changing to "reflow off" and then experimenting with "full screen" and "full width" causes the image to shift off-screen to the right.

I pretty much can see that these PDFs are just not going to cooperate with the JBL unless I am missing something.

I'd just love to be able to download some free PDF files from somewhere that will work on the JBL without having to re-format all the time.

Epub, .rtf and .txt free downloads are much less problematic and tend to work a fairly high percentage of time "as downloaded."

Any help will be greatly appreciated - thanks in advance!

Doug
dougf4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 02:32 PM   #9
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougf4 View Post
I'm not having Header and Footer Issues, but would ask for advice on basic formatting of the JBL itself to read PDFs.

The files I am attempting to get to work are from Feedbooks and are credited back to Project Gutenberg.
Feedbooks will let you set custom sizes for PDFs; you can make them download to 3"x4" pages with .1" (or less) margins, and tinker with the font sizes to find something that's easy to read.

I'm not sure how the JBL reads PDFs, but I download custom-sized PDFs from Feedbooks for my Sony Reader. (And before people ask: Because I can download a dozen of them and then combine them into 1 PDF for reading, instead of clogging up my reader with a dozen separate short stories. Nobody's yet come up with a simple method of combining multiple ePubs into one file.)
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 06:03 PM   #10
Pranananda
Connoisseur
Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.

Device: ipad, iPod touch, JetBook Lite
Take a look at this thread for a possible free solution: pdfreflow: reflow text PDFs.

This application will allow you to remove headers and footers and it will not break up paragraphs into separate lines.
Pranananda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 10:53 AM   #11
dougf4
Connoisseur
dougf4 has learned how to read e-booksdougf4 has learned how to read e-booksdougf4 has learned how to read e-booksdougf4 has learned how to read e-booksdougf4 has learned how to read e-booksdougf4 has learned how to read e-booksdougf4 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Nook Tablet (Rooted), jetbook lite
[QUOTE=Elfwreck;1087734]Feedbooks will let you set custom sizes for PDFs; you can make them download to 3"x4" pages with .1" (or less) margins, and tinker with the font sizes to find something that's easy to read.

Thanks Elfwreck - I'll try that formatting change.

I did discover other free .pdf's that are displaying just fine on my JBL, so it must be how those were formatted before downloading from Feedbooks.
dougf4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 08:32 PM   #12
jlg432
Addict
jlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: jetBook, ALP, Pandigital 7"Color(Black+ White), Kyros MID7015a
I think you have to realize that PDF-Reflow is not a solution for all types of PDF's.

Most technical and non-fiction ebooks have headers and footnotes. In those cases they are usually designed to be read on a certain size display such as a Computer screen or printed out on 81/2 X 11 paper.

I think you will find that fiction e-books generally work well with the Reflow feature. I have even seen reflow do a pretty good job of PDF advert pamphlets and some electronic device manuals.

John
jlg432 is offline   Reply With Quote