Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-20-2010, 11:39 PM   #1
kaiu
kaiu began at the beginning.

Device: SONY PRS-600
Never Ending Loading?

Hi, me and my gf just purchased a PRS 600 a couple hours ago....

She just placed 3gb worth of pictures from her manga into her 16gb sd card, after finished copying, she disconnected it and it says *loading* with that sync icon in the middle of the screen.

Is it supposed to take a long time to finish loading when it is 3gb of jpgs?

It has been doing that loading screen for like 20 minutes now...

btw: My GF did format the SD card originally using the ebook reader's built in formatter thing

We ended up deleting most of the mangas, and left one....

It took like 30 minutes to finish loading the remaining 939 jpgs @.@

Last edited by kaiu; 03-21-2010 at 12:04 AM.
kaiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 08:37 AM   #2
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
Hi,
loading a lot of files from sd-card (e.g. epub, pdf) is a never ending story for PRS devices. once i loaded about 500 pdf (total about 500mb) onto sd-card using the sony library. after disconnecting the prs-505 it took hours until the refresh was complete. deleting a single pdf from the sd-card results in a complete rescan of the entire card...again several hours. The PRS-900 isn't better when it comes to files on sd-cards. Bottom line : do not use many files on externals cards, try to use internal memory only. i know this is a bad advice. Sony ads say you can have about 16.000 books with you. They didn't tell about scan and rescan times...
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-21-2010, 02:58 PM   #3
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7
Did you do a drag and drop from the computer directly to the SD card or did you go through the Sony software. Going through the Sony software may aid in loading 3GB of files. Maybe only load a handful of files to be sure you want to use the 600 as a picture viewer.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 03:24 PM   #4
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
Hi,
from my experience it doesn't matter whether you are using drag&drop or the sony software. When using sony software it gets slower and slower although indexing is running on my fast pc. I asked sony support about this issue and they told me that the prs is always scanning each document on external devices. They recommend to copy all books to the internal memory. They said "300 books are more than you can read...". Didn't ask them about the 16.000 books on your reader Ad.
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 09:48 PM   #5
PJinNH
FanFic Fanatic
PJinNH began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader 505
This would certainly explain why I started to have problems with my SD card....It was working fine for quite some time, but I must have finally hit a the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back. I'm only using internal memory now (deleting the fanfic stories I've loaded that aren't worth reading again).
PJinNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2010, 11:13 AM   #6
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
I had the same problems.

I don't have that many documents, but I do take a lot of notes on PDFs. I archive my annotated PDFs on my PC, but I wanted to keep a backup copy of all the archived files on an SD card.

With about 200 PDFs and roughly 2,000 notes, it takes about 20-30 minutes to finish loading.

Even worse, if I try to add notes to any document, it seems to take forever to save them.

Both problems disappear if I take the SD card out.

I don't really care about carry THAT many documents with me (although, SONY lying to us once more - I got burnt on TVs, PS3, cameras, etc. - does piss me off). But I would like to have a way to backup my annotated files, in case my PC crashes.

I tried copying the SONY database on my PC, but once I transferred the files to another system, I couldn't access the notes. So I resorted to the SD-card method.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote