Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-20-2010, 03:44 PM   #16
HorridRedDog
Addict
HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: PRS-600 EB-1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenophon View Post
@maggotb0y: I just recently got a Philly library card with intent to use their ebooks, and I have a question: How on earth do you find anything on their eBook site?

Their search appears to be seriously wedged. For example, I can't seem to search for "all downloadable fiction ebooks." Any suggestions or tips?

Xenophon
Searching can be tricky. If I search for Horror I get 47 listings (Audiobook, and videos).

But if you use quotation marks "" as in "Prodigal Son" you may have better luck.

Last edited by HorridRedDog; 03-20-2010 at 03:47 PM.
HorridRedDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 01:36 PM   #17
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by colleenFL View Post
To get the list of all fiction ebooks:
Start on their Digital media home page http://freelibrary.lib.overdrive.com
Click on eBooks by Genre
About halfway down the page find All eBook fiction click on Complete list...
That will take you to the list. Currently 1060 ebooks.
And that's working beautifully for me. Thanks!

I was somehow getting to their NetLibrary page, which is seriously deficient. The overdrive ebooks are far better organized.

Xenophon
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2010, 03:46 PM   #18
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
I finally got a response from the library about subscriptions for people outside the US. And the answer was yes! They would prefer you send them a check or money order, as opposed to cash, but it does have to be denominated in US dollars.

-Marcy
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 05:37 PM   #19
daisy76
daisy76 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Ereader
I just got an email with my card number and a note saying my card was being mailed today.
I have about 100 books on my wishlist!
Thank you for the information!
daisy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 06:43 PM   #20
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
I mailed my application last week and should hear back early next week.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2010, 11:49 PM   #21
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Quick question...when applying for a non-resident card with the Philadelphia Free Library, do you need to send them some form of ID?

When I applied for my non-resident NYPL card (not available anymore), they required me to send a copy of my driver's license along with my application and payment.

Thanks!
dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 12:33 AM   #22
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

The application form did not mention showing ID.
Old 04-15-2010, 02:49 PM   #23
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
Quick question...when applying for a non-resident card with the Philadelphia Free Library, do you need to send them some form of ID?

When I applied for my non-resident NYPL card (not available anymore), they required me to send a copy of my driver's license along with my application and payment.

Thanks!
dordale
Woo, hoo! Just received an e-mail today with my library card number (dordale, during the entire application process no mention of needing any ID card). I had sent in my application and check about a month ago and was beginning to wonder. But now I am in business.

Wisconsin has a state wide e-book library, but the selection is small and much of that is Self Help and How To books. So this presents a great new resource. I've already located a complete collection of Kafka and Native Son. I wish more online library systems would open up to non-residents out in the 'boonies.' I don't mind paying a fee for it.
Old 04-15-2010, 03:04 PM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
How much is a subscription to those not in the local area?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 03:31 PM   #25
grooks
Wizard

Received my email this morning from Free Library of Philadelphia. It took about 1.5 weeks from the time they received the application.

Jon, the Philly non-resident card costs $15 for one year. Not sure how renewals work yet.
Old 04-16-2010, 08:56 AM   #26
Almas
Addict
Almas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle Touch; Sony PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy View Post
I finally got a response from the library about subscriptions for people outside the US. And the answer was yes! They would prefer you send them a check or money order, as opposed to cash, but it does have to be denominated in US dollars.

-Marcy
Cool. That's awesome news!
Almas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 03:53 PM   #27
ziegl027
Addict
ziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony Touch, Kindle DXG
Haven't read through the whole thread so this may have been brought up before. Does it strike anyone else as being slightly odd that in this electronic age, when the Philly Library probably knows that many of the out-of-area users are in it for the e-books, that you have to print out a form, and mail it in with payment? If you can file your income taxes electronically, it doesn't seem that getting a library card electronically would be all that big of a deal....
ziegl027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 01:40 PM   #28
Gerbil
Gerbil began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600, iPod Touch 2G, iPad
Is this available for non-US residents who also aren't American citizens?
Gerbil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 05:08 PM   #29
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziegl027 View Post
Haven't read through the whole thread so this may have been brought up before. Does it strike anyone else as being slightly odd that in this electronic age, when the Philly Library probably knows that many of the out-of-area users are in it for the e-books, that you have to print out a form, and mail it in with payment? If you can file your income taxes electronically, it doesn't seem that getting a library card electronically would be all that big of a deal....
It is a big deal in that now they would have to take credit cards, which involves getting a merchant account and giving the credit card companies a cut. Since they only take check/money order, you need to mail it to them.

-Marcy
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 04:19 PM   #30
Thrasher
Groupie
Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbil View Post
Is this available for non-US residents who also aren't American citizens?
Yes, I am in Canada and I got one.
Thrasher is offline   Reply With Quote