Notices

Old 11-09-2009, 01:33 PM   #46
rwe
Enthusiast
rwe began at the beginning.

Device: ipod sony
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzy_dunlop View Post
B&N is pretty serious about regional restrictions. I just tried to buy a few ebooks from B&N using a US card from overseas...didn't work. Although I could make the purchase, it would not let me download and then immediately canceled the order. So my guess is that they record your IP address at the time you click order.

Granted I tried this with free books (different rules for public domain?) but several people on the B&N site message board are complaining that they can't buy books overseas despite using a US card/address. Looks like its the petition or bust.

Btw, apparently wi-fi will only be available at B&N stores initially, but the hope is later they will open it up for use everywhere, this was reported on Gizmodo.
b&n use ip adress evaluation at time of order, if ip adress is outside us, the order is cancelled even before download.
i tried to go through a proxy that didn't work.
what works for me is a vpn connection through a server in the us.
this is a payed service and works very well.

an interesting discussion is if this puts the point of sale in the US or not.
rwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 05:49 PM   #47
Jim Lester
Evangelist
Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.

Device: Nook HD, Nook for Windows 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ould View Post
I too am really annoyed by this. I don't really need the 3G crap as I don't tend to buy things "on the road". I could just use the Wi-Fi at home.work when I need it. This is the first reader I have thought of getting to replace my aging PRS-500. I may have to get a family member to pick me one up on their next trip across the border or something. Seeing as it has epub support I don't even need to purchase my books from B&N. I am rather shocked that they aren't offering it at least to Canada if not elsewhere when Amazon is now offering the Kindle internationally.
B&N just announced support for purchasing e books in Canada.
The 3G support wont work, but WiFi will.
Jim Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2009, 07:47 PM   #48
whopper
Addict
whopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Boox max 2
nothing.

to delete
whopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 07:07 PM   #49
bthoven
Evangelist
bthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by bthoven View Post
Yes, I also use VPOST US address as billing address.

Thanks anyway. Interesting to see when B&N will cancel my two orders
Geertm,
after I send an email asking B&N about my order issue. They have now changed my order status to expected shipment date Dec 11. I also ask them to cancel the other duplicated order.

Thanks again for your suggestion.

Now just hope it will perform well.
bthoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 03:04 PM   #50
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by bthoven View Post
Geertm,
after I send an email asking B&N about my order issue. They have now changed my order status to expected shipment date Dec 11. I also ask them to cancel the other duplicated order.

Thanks again for your suggestion.

Now just hope it will perform well.
Good to hear that you succeeded in buying the Nook.
Did you use alwaysvpn? Or have you just e-mailed B&N?

My Nook will ship December 7. My Cybook ereader has broken down a few weeks ago, so I am really looking forward to the NooK
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2009, 06:21 PM   #51
bthoven
Evangelist
bthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Yes, I use alwaysvpn when placing the order. I also ordered the green cover (Tupper Quote cover in Leaf: $29.99).

After placing the order, it showed status "Unable to process order. Please call 1-877-379-0036, or 212-414-6024, if outside U.S.".

I did call the latter number (via Skype call for cost saving) a few times; but the agent lines were always busy for several minutes. So I decided to email B&N asking them what should I do with the order; then they've just changed my order status to be "Not Yet Shipped" and showing expected shipment date for both items on Dec 11.

They also send a mail saying thank you for my order.

After they send the lovely device to Vpost US address, VPost will then send it to me in Bangkok, Thailand. The Vpost calculator gave shipment charge estimation around US$30.-; which is quite cheap. So door-to-door price will be around $320.-(including that lovely green cover). That's about the same price as Pocketbook 301+ which I almost decided to buy. Hope I need not to pay import tax (+VAT).

Once getting the device, I hope:

1. someone can hack it to support Thai fonts
2. ability to add other dictionary (e.g. Eng-Thai)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cover green inside.JPG
Views:	693
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	39082   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cover green front.JPG
Views:	659
Size:	18.2 KB
ID:	39083  

Last edited by bthoven; 11-12-2009 at 11:59 PM.
bthoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 10:43 AM   #52
zupastef
zupastef began at the beginning.

Device: Nook !!
Nook in Canada

Hi Guys,

I've been reading this forum and I still have a question. It's the right time to ask because I still can fix things if they went bad. I searched the forums but the answers are not so clear for my case.

I ordered the Nook the day they announced it from a Canadian IP-address but got it shipped to a US address (borderlinx).
My order went through even though I wasn't using a vpn or a proxy.

My credit card has a canadian billing address but I made my order with a US billing address (once again my borderlinx address).

I got an email stating that my order should ship nov 30. No errors, nothing that would prove that it won't work. No warning, nothing. I'm assuming they checked my credit card and pre approved the funds.

Should I be worried that my order won't go as planned ? Did I needed to place my order behind a vpn ?

Your help is greatly appreciated.
zupastef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 01:59 PM   #53
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by zupastef View Post
Should I be worried that my order won't go as planned ? Did I needed to place my order behind a vpn ?

Your help is greatly appreciated.
The VPN is only needed to get the order accepted.
As your order was accepted, and you did receive the confirmation mail, I do not think you need to worry.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 08:16 PM   #54
adio
adio began at the beginning.

Device: nook / alex
Hey,
I ve seen on US unlocked that they have a service about telling them what you want, and they will buy it for you and ship it to ur place.
So if I do so I dont need all the stuff about IP adress and so on?
thx
adio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 09:30 AM   #55
Gadget Guy
Enthusiast
Gadget Guy began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo eReader
Nook in Canada

I see that others in Canada have used a US shipping address to pre-order a Nook.

However, has anyone confirmed if they will actually ship to Canada (like Amazon) now that they are officially enabling their store to support Canada?

I am not sure how warranty support would work if a service like the ones described were used to purchase the device. Can anyone shed some light on that?

TIA,

GG
Gadget Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 11:52 AM   #56
bzImage
Enthusiast
bzImage doesn't litterbzImage doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
I live in Mexico. I have access to the internet, of course, but not the other options. I need to download books off the internet to use in a Nook if I were to buy one. Not having the ability to do that, conveniently, means I won't be buying a Nook.
I also live down here in Mexico City, i have the Kindle 2 International and.. it just works, the 3g network, the store (buying with a mexican debit card, not even a "real" credit card).

The nook looks like a nice device, but if i can't use the device where i live its not a good deal.

Amazon has made this ebook experience a good one for us the international customers, no more shipping for my books, makes me buy more books saving money and read them after 60 seconds, no after 1 week
bzImage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 07:01 AM   #57
szymonunion
szymonunion began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hello,

my name is Simon and I would like to say 'Hello' to all of You
I live in Warsaw,Poland and today in the evening I will try to order Nook. I will connect via VPN, as shipping/billing address I will use address of some of forwarders to sent Nook to Poland. Unfortunately it will be probably on January as we know how hard is to buy Nook now.

Regards,

Last edited by szymonunion; 12-11-2009 at 07:17 AM.
szymonunion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 02:14 AM   #58
stangri
Addict
stangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: nook
Before BN announced support for canadian purchases I've used HotSpotShield to "buy" (only ordered free Google-added) ebooks from BN and it worked fine.

Unlike AlwaysVPN, HotSpotShield has a free service.
stangri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 05:51 PM   #59
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by szymonunion View Post
Hello,

my name is Simon and I would like to say 'Hello' to all of You
I live in Warsaw,Poland and today in the evening I will try to order Nook. I will connect via VPN, as shipping/billing address I will use address of some of forwarders to sent Nook to Poland. Unfortunately it will be probably on January as we know how hard is to buy Nook now.

Regards,

Hi, Simon.

I just wanted to welcome you to MobileRead.

There are over 14,000 free ebooks here in a variety of formats and, perhaps even more valuable (to my way of thinking), a lot of wonderful people here to help you with any number of questions.

HAVE FUN!

Don (Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 05:59 PM   #60
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Reason for Sticky

Hi, potential Nook owners:

There has been an unprecedented interest in the Nook as arguably one of the three big players in the ebook field, as mentioned in a number of reviews and comments found on the internet.

People outside the borders of the U.S. are interested in purchasing the Nook. At the moment, there is no international version, as there is for the Kindle 2.

The interest is real and for that reason I've decided to make this thread a sticky.

HAVE FUN!

Don (Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
b&n, barnes and noble, international, nook, overseas