Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 08-31-2009, 09:16 PM   #1
Mholtmeier
Mholtmeier began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-300
Question Regarding 2-page Pdf (scanned book)

Hello,

I just ordered the new PRS-300, so I don't have an e-reader in my possession yet, which might make these silly questions. Perhaps the answer is obvious once you start to play with the e-reader itself... but, what is the best way to view a scanned book (2 book pages per 'image')?

I've played around with cropping tools, which seem useful, and converted .pdfs to .lrfs, which gave me a very strange format, but perhaps it looks better on an actual e-reader?

Are there any particular programs/formatting tools/formats I should play with before I receive my e-reader? Any 'this is how I do it' comments would be great as well.

Thanks for any input!
Mholtmeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 01:40 PM   #2
ashkulz
Addict
ashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 1/REB 1200
Process each page using unpaper.
ashkulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2009, 02:07 PM   #3
Mholtmeier

Looks interesting, thanks! I haven't seen this tool before.
Old 09-01-2009, 02:08 PM   #4
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
For a scanned book with the two sides together, I would use either PDFLRF and/or PaperCrop.

The best results I've gotten have come from using cropping out the individual columns with Acrobat as separate pages, and then going through PDFLRF, but that's a lot more time consuming, and not feasible if you've got dozens of hundreds-pages-long books.

I believe PDFRead, which is another possibility, has an option to call unpaper while processing, but personally I've gotten better results with PDFLRF than with PDFRead.
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 02:20 PM   #5
Mholtmeier

Thanks Frabjous. Yes... I considered cropping each page into a single page, but this WOULD be time consuming! I was hoping there would be a program that would make this process quicker, if not do it for you.

Is there a way to use the windows Snipping Tool to quickly create a bunch of image files, batch them, and convert to an e-book file? Calibre converts certain image files doesn't it? I'll have to look into this further...
Advert
Old 09-01-2009, 02:35 PM   #6
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
No clue. I don't use Windows anymore.

Try PaperCrop, however. It may be the kind of thing you're after.

However, PDFLRF is usually enough for me to get decent results merely for my own viewing. (It can split it into two columns, and then split the columns into chunks that are a good size for viewing on the reader in landscape mode... the only thing it's not that great at is margin-removal when the scan is imperfect.)

Last edited by frabjous; 09-01-2009 at 02:37 PM.
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 06:06 PM   #7
Mholtmeier

Hmmm, I must have missed the option to split the page with PDFLRF. This seems like it would be enough to make a well-scanned .pdf easily viewable.

Thanks again Frabjous.
Old 09-01-2009, 06:47 PM   #8
Mholtmeier

Hmmmm, the split doesn't seem to be working for me. Any ideas on this one? The conversion just stops at 13%.