Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-05-2009, 01:37 PM   #1
tiomario
tiomario began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-505
Don't want to spoil my first experience with PRS-505!. Help Please!

I just received my new PRS-505, so I have to transfer books from my PC to the device for the first time.
The facts:
I have an ebook collection (3500 files) in my PC HD organized this way:
One folder for each author containing folders for each book in 2 or 3 diferent formats (rtf, doc and LRF).
In other words, I really have around 1500 single ebooks. So, for instance, I have the book "The Iliad" in 3 different formats, same name (theiliad.doc, theiliad.rtf and theiliad.lrf) in the folder named "The Iliad", which is in the folder named "Homer" (author).

So... my concern...

How do I manage the eBook Library software to transfer only the .lrf files to the device as a bulk transfer from my PC library?

Any other advice on this first transfer would be higly appreciated.

Thanks a lot!
tiomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 01:44 PM   #2
toomanybooks
Addict
toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, Ipod Touch, KIndle Fire
Open windows explorer and search your computer for lrf files. Plug in your sony reader and open it as a portable hard drive. Drag and drop the lrf files you want to read into the ereader and enjoy.
toomanybooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2009, 01:45 PM   #3
toomanybooks
Addict
toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, Ipod Touch, KIndle Fire
Another piece of advice, I have found that putting more than 150 books on the dvice makes it function badly.
toomanybooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 02:14 PM   #4
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
You can also use the Sony Software to drag and drop the LRF files. Just turn off the option to auto-sync your books.

Some people find the Sony Software a little clunky (I agree with this). But doing it this way gives you the advantage of having the books pre-paginated before being transferred to your device. This means that the first time you open a book on the reader, it'll open a lot quicker because the reader won't have to do the work of figuring out the page breaks. (This only affects the first time you open the book or change the font size in a book.)

Have fun with your reader!

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote