Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 02-09-2014, 06:32 AM   #1
Ennilyn
Ennilyn began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite 2
Question Automatically update author_sort?

Hi everybody.

Is there a possibility to make calibre update the "author_sort" automatically when I edit the author?

Thanks.
Ennilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 07:28 AM   #2
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennilyn View Post
Is there a possibility to make calibre update the "author_sort" automatically when I edit the author?
As far as I know, it does. At least when you use the book list ('spreadsheet').
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2014, 09:43 AM   #3
Ennilyn

Sorry, what do you mean exactly?
I didn't quite get that.
Old 02-09-2014, 11:53 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Sorry, what do you mean exactly?
I didn't quite get that.
Tell us where you are editing the name.
Like most parts of calibre, there are multiple places/ways things can get done.
We can't guess which way you use
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 12:01 PM   #5
Ennilyn

Sorry about that. In my head it was quite obvious

I'm using the "Edit Metadata"-window - like it pops up when I highlight one single book, right click and choose "edit metadata".
Advert
Old 02-09-2014, 12:35 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Sorry about that. In my head it was quite obvious

I'm using the "Edit Metadata"-window - like it pops up when I highlight one single book, right click and choose "edit metadata".
In that window, you need to use the 'copy' button to the right of Authors
(same goes for Title).
The reasoning, is this allows you to override the default sort setting rule.

If you change the name in the Tag browser (affects all books with this name) or in the main GUI, it assume you want the 'rule'
Old 02-09-2014, 12:41 PM   #7
Ennilyn

Yeah, I know about this copy option.

What I need (or want) is to automatically change the author_sort while I type in the author, or at least when hitting the next button to view the next book.
Title_sort updates automatically in accordance with title when you hit next.
Old 02-09-2014, 12:46 PM   #8
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Not what you are looking for, but if you have updated several books via edit metadata you can select those books in the main GUI and update the author sort for all of them by checking the automatically set author sort in bulk edit metadata
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 12:54 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Yeah, I know about this copy option.

What I need (or want) is to automatically change the author_sort while I type in the author, or at least when hitting the next button to view the next book.
Title_sort updates automatically in accordance with title when you hit next.
I don't think it is supposed to do that on it's own.
Even Bulk mode as Helen was explaining, has a tick box.

(BTW that is a quick way to update the sort on a random group of books. Just tick the box. Do no data field entry and only the sort will be updated.)
Old 02-09-2014, 01:02 PM   #10
Ennilyn

Great, at least that works. Thanks for the info, speakingtohe.

I thought it only worked when I entered author data at the same time, but hey, there are so many things that I still don't know
Old 02-09-2014, 09:45 PM   #11
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
I thought it only worked when I entered author data at the same time, but hey, there are so many things that I still don't know
I've been using calibre for over 5 years and there are so many things that I still don't know.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 11:04 PM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats

I can now confirm (W7) that departing a book using Next/Previous will update a RED author sort or Title sort to a Green (value)
Old 02-28-2014, 12:07 PM   #13
Ennilyn

Hi again ...

... and sorry for the late reply. I did not have much time for my computer or calibre lately

@theducks: I don't know how you do it, but it doesn't work with my calibre settings. I'd ask what settings you have, but there are so many possibilities ...

The funny thing is, that it works with the title just fine, but not with the author.
Old 02-28-2014, 12:40 PM   #14
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Hi again ...

... and sorry for the late reply. I did not have much time for my computer or calibre lately

@theducks: I don't know how you do it, but it doesn't work with my calibre settings. I'd ask what settings you have, but there are so many possibilities ...

The funny thing is, that it works with the title just fine, but not with the author.
do what? IMHO Next / Previous is breaking the stated functionality behavior.

Sort values are NOT supposed to update if using the Metadata Edit window (there are helper controls for that if that action is WANTED). Some books violate the rules: A is for Apple A is not an article in this case

Editing metadata directly on the spreadsheet assumes you do want the (preferences/tweaks) default sort.
Old 02-28-2014, 12:58 PM   #15
Ennilyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I can now confirm (W7) that departing a book using Next/Previous will update a RED author sort or Title sort to a Green (value)
What I meant is, that if I depart a book using next/previous the author sort does NOT update from red to green - only title sort.

Whatever you do differently, the way you do it, title sort AND author sort are updated from red to green. Maybe it's because of WINDOWS ... I'm using a Mac.

Anyways, I really appreciated your patience and help. Thanks a lot.

Tags
author_sort