Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 03-29-2013, 10:09 AM   #1
chexmix
Zealot
chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014), Onyx Boox M96
It's alive! It's alive!

Hi everyone,

Now that I have an M92 that is working, I thought I might log some of my experiences with it. Reading this board reveals a wide range of reactions to the product.

So far my reactions are leaning in a mostly-positive direction. But it's early on.

I have started using the M92 to read technical articles in astronomy and astrophysics, since I am taking astronomy courses and because I work at a major scientific / astrophysical institution. These documents are typically PDFs.

Articles in the more prominent astronomy journals are two-column affairs, and I have found that in portrait mode the font is, well, teeny-tiny but for the most part readable if I have my reading glasses on. Footnotes and captions are in smaller fonts and can be problematic, especially if they contain equations and such. Obviously one solution is to switch to landscape, though this has the perhaps-negligible downside of having to scroll back and forth. I'm still mainly using portrait.

The software is, as many have pointed out, quirky -- and some here would I am sure say that that is a charitable description. However, I have found that, so far at least, the software is letting me do what I need to do. I don't know whether I have the latest PDF reader. My biggest frustration has been with annotating / scribbling, though it seems to mostly work (maybe my attempting it while on a bus has something to do with my frustration).

I do wish the processor was a bit more robust/speedy, but wait times are not ridiculous, and I'm currently reading a ~60 page PDF.

So ... so far I am liking the thing. I will probably order a couple of spare styluses (stylii?) since I think it's a foregone conclusion that I will lose at least one.

Kudos to Booxtor for bringing this soldier back from the dead!

/GB
chexmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:46 AM   #2
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Boox M92
Concerning scribling. There is/was a feature/bug in respect to pen.

If you keep a pen close to the screen for 1-2 seconds without movement (it may happen easily white writing and waiting for next word/idea) the pen goes to suspend and stops to respond. But if you move a pen a bit away from or above screen cca 5 cm (2"), it starts to work again.

Once you know what is the cause and what is the remedy it is not so disturbing...
Mono is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2013, 02:28 PM   #3
chexmix
Zealot
chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mono View Post
Concerning scribling. There is/was a feature/bug in respect to pen.

If you keep a pen close to the screen for 1-2 seconds without movement (it may happen easily white writing and waiting for next word/idea) the pen goes to suspend and stops to respond. But if you move a pen a bit away from or above screen cca 5 cm (2"), it starts to work again.

Once you know what is the cause and what is the remedy it is not so disturbing...
Oh, okay -- thank you. Good to remember.
Old 03-31-2013, 03:33 PM   #4
chexmix
Zealot

I have an astronomy take-home exam to work on and several other research irons burning for the same class ... and the M92 is coming in really handy. I must say it is great to have it working and except for the occasional burble is pretty pleasurable to use. I don't expect miracles from it and what it is doing for me now is just right.