Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 11-06-2012, 09:16 AM   #1
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Exclamation Kindle PW and Calibre

I've synced a couple of books (5) to my Kindle Paperwhite via Calibre. They were all in the Documents section of the Kindle except for one. For some reason my Kindle thinks they are documents
Not only that but the books had a banner on the cover that says Personal. I want my Kindle to recognize that these are books not documents, and how can I remove the banner?

There's a one month old thread that discusses this issue, they've found a solution, I've read through the post with the solution numerous times but I did not understand a thing.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:27 AM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@Gazella20: How exactly are you syncing? Send to device? Or via email?

If you're using Amazon's email delivery service, that's to be expected. If you're using Send To Device, make sure the 'Personal Doc tag' in the MOBI output settings is set to something that's *NOT* found in the tags of your books.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2012, 12:49 PM   #3
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@Gazella20: How exactly are you syncing? Send to device? Or via email?

If you're using Amazon's email delivery service, that's to be expected. If you're using Send To Device, make sure the 'Personal Doc tag' in the MOBI output settings is set to something that's *NOT* found in the tags of your books.
Send to device. I should have mentioned that they are not Amazon Kindle books
Old 11-06-2012, 12:55 PM   #4
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
In that case, I forgot something else. If you're using the 'Enable sharing' MOBI output setting, you'll also end up with a PDOC tag.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 01:11 PM   #5
n808
n808 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I have set MOBI file type to "old", and the only tag in "Personal Doc tag" is [PDOC]. None of my books have this tag, yet a large number gets classified by the PW as Documents. Not exactly a big problem, but a bit annoying.
I use "Send to Device -> Main Memory" for all transfers.
n808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2012, 01:23 PM   #6
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
I had the same problem. This is how mine is set up and what fixed it for me. First, I downloaded the latest version of calibre (even though it said I was already using it, it let me download it and it made a difference)

Under mobi output my settings are:

1) I have mobi file set to both (old works as well - but don't use new)
2) Under enable sharing I have it UNchecked.
3) Personal Doc tag I have left blank

That's it. This removed the Personal banner for me. Good luck.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:13 PM   #7
n808

sparklemotion: thanks for your suggestions! Will try this afternoon.
Old 11-07-2012, 01:23 AM   #8
Gazella
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
I had the same problem. This is how mine is set up and what fixed it for me. First, I downloaded the latest version of calibre (even though it said I was already using it, it let me download it and it made a difference)

Under mobi output my settings are:

1) I have mobi file set to both (old works as well - but don't use new)
2) Under enable sharing I have it UNchecked.
3) Personal Doc tag I have left blank

That's it. This removed the Personal banner for me. Good luck.
Where is the MOBI output located? I don't have my laptop in front of me but I don't remember seeing this in Calibre. I will try to do as you suggested when I go back home from uni. But would like to know in advance.
Old 11-07-2012, 01:55 AM   #9
n808

Quote:
Originally Posted by n808 View Post
sparklemotion: thanks for your suggestions! Will try this afternoon.
The problem was not resolved by this method for me. My KPW still decides to classify some books as Personal Documents and some as books, regardless of the tag field being empty or [PDOC]. Sharing not enabled.
Old 11-07-2012, 03:17 AM   #10
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella20 View Post
Where is the MOBI output located? I don't have my laptop in front of me but I don't remember seeing this in Calibre. I will try to do as you suggested when I go back home from uni. But would like to know in advance.
Preferences - Output options - Mobi output.

Quote:
The problem was not resolved by this method for me. My KPW still decides to classify some books as Personal Documents and some as books, regardless of the tag field being empty or [PDOC]. Sharing not enabled.
I don't have a Kindle so I may be wrong but after you set those options you have to put the book through a conversion to set everything before you send it to your Kindle.

Good Luck.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:46 AM   #11
Gazella
Wizard

Quote:
Me either but I followed the solution provided in the other thread and now my Kindle recognizes that they are books and it got rid of the banner as well. I will write the steps I went through as easy as possible because the original post with the solution was a bit complicated to follow.

I used Mobi Metadata Editor to change the ASIN of the books that weren't showing properly.

1. To do that open Mobi Metadata Editor (download link below) and browse for the book. Click on the + sign, where it says Type locate 113 (ASIN) from the drop-down menu.

2. Go to Amazon.com and search for the Kindle version of the same book, scroll down to where it says Product Details and copy the ASIN (begins with a B) and paste it in Value (back in Mobi Metada Editor). Click Add.

3. Notice the Output filename, it will not replace the ebook but rather make a new file of the ebook with _new.mobi. Click Save.

4. Delete the same book you edited from your Calibre library and locate the new ebook (the one you edited with Mobi Metadata Editor) and drag and drop it into Calibre.

5. Connect your Kindle, right click on the new ebook, send to device, send to main memory.

If you did everything correctly, you should see the book in your books section with no banner.

I know it's a lot of steps to go through but at least now my books are more organized and there are no banners on the covers. I hope this works for you!

Mobi Metadata Editor download link: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=1927698

Last edited by Gazella; 11-07-2012 at 06:53 AM.
Old 11-07-2012, 10:50 PM   #12
7hir7een
Reader of Books
7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Elipsa, Kindle Basic (11th gen)
For what it's worth, here's what I did exactly. In Calibre v0.9.4 or above:
  1. Deleted old converted files from the Kindle first. I had used a variation of Gazella20's method before (way too much work)
  2. Highlighted the files in Calibre I wanted to convert and hit "Convert books"
  3. Selected MOBI from the output format dropdown menu
  4. Used the settings shown in the attached picture
  5. Hit "OK" to convert to MOBI (again)
  6. Waited for that to finish
  7. Connected Kindle Paperwhite
  8. Highlighted all the converted books and hit "Send to device"
  9. Waited for that to finish, ejected, waited for the books to show up on the Kindle, and made sure everything was good
This should really work, so you may want a try a couple this way and see what you get. You shouldn't have to go through all the work of the old way with the metadata editor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	1989
Size:	144.0 KB
ID:	95732  
7hir7een is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:27 AM   #13
Gazella
Wizard

Thanks. Will try it when I get home. Your MOBI output settings are similar to mine, except for the Personal Doc Tag which I have PDOC for. But does that get rid of the banner or just lets the Kindle recognize that they're books and not documents?
Old 11-08-2012, 10:13 AM   #14
Gazella
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7hir7een View Post
For what it's worth, here's what I did exactly. In Calibre v0.9.4 or above:
  1. Deleted old converted files from the Kindle first. I had used a variation of Gazella20's method before (way too much work)
  2. Highlighted the files in Calibre I wanted to convert and hit "Convert books"
  3. Selected MOBI from the output format dropdown menu
  4. Used the settings shown in the attached picture
  5. Hit "OK" to convert to MOBI (again)
  6. Waited for that to finish
  7. Connected Kindle Paperwhite
  8. Highlighted all the converted books and hit "Send to device"
  9. Waited for that to finish, ejected, waited for the books to show up on the Kindle, and made sure everything was good
This should really work, so you may want a try a couple this way and see what you get. You shouldn't have to go through all the work of the old way with the metadata editor.
Yaay!! It worked. Thank you so very much!!
Old 11-15-2012, 10:41 AM   #15
purplepancake
Nameless Being

Question for Gazella20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella20 View Post
Yaay!! It worked. Thank you so very much!!
Hi
Hope that you read/see this - likewise have done all as you have - but still have the 'Personal Banner' - are you sending to device via Wireless or are you cabled via USB ?

Thanks